[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson signed WDOLG LP's....

Hello All,
    Can anyone shed any light on these reissue albums that Mary signed, I would assume from the added sticker, to promote the "Dreamgirl" book? Were they sent out to VIP's pre-release to help promote the book, or were these something fans could purchase at book signings to have Mary autograph as well? I purchased the pictured one off Ebay Friday, but I already had one in my collection for a few years. I bought the second one due to the larger inscription, as my current version is only signed Mary Wilson on the promo sticker.
    Thanks for any help with my query!
    Darin

Name:  Mary Wilson [[1).jpg
Views: 331
Size:  52.7 KB

Darin, this looks like something that may have been a special individual store promotion. What I mean is that they were not sold at her book signings in Detroit or New York. They were also not sent out to VIP's pre-release to help promote the book. I would have gotten one.

Let me ask you, does it [[the special sticker) mention a specific store or date? It is amazing that we are coming upon "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" 30th Anniversary in October. The most successful music related autobiography in history!

Hi Marv....
    No, there is no other info on the sticker other than "St. Martin's Press An October 1986 Publication". The LP is the standard reissue album 5270ML with no other markings than stock. I just took this close up pic of the one I currently have.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Darin

Name:  IMG_20160731_101110_854.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  96.6 KB

Darin, you are welcome. Yes, this is the first time I am seeing this promo sticker. I have to believe it was used in specific stores at the time only.

The publisher might have had Mary sign a bunch of these stickers and then they were sent out to promote the book. Whoever owned this album could have then stuck it on his/her copy.

Or possibly the previous owner received a sticker, stuck it on their WDOLG album, and Mary signed it at a book signing or concert.

Thanks Reese for suggesting other possibilities.....

Odd thing is these are both stickered in the same spot, and signed with what looks to be the same fine marker, so I still lean more towards thinking these were done for a promotion of some sort in connection with the book.
    Darin

It in interesting that the stickers are in the same spot on the album, although I think it highly unlikely that Motown would have been helped with the promotion of this book, re having stickers on their product.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It in interesting that the stickers are in the same spot on the album, although I think it highly unlikely that Motown would have been helped with the promotion of this book, re having stickers on their product.
    I don't believe Motown as a company was ever involved with the book. Many former Motowners did contribute. It was an awesome book overall. It is still in print.