[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    15. Harvey Fuqua and Gwen Gordy [Hardye], who sold it to Berry Gordy.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, you are correct. Harvey Fuqua and Gwen Gordy were the only 2 owners. I got screwed up with my Quiz numbers. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    29 Don Davis
    30 Wilbur Golden
Views: 244
    30 is CORRECT! 29 is only 1/3 correct.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-26-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Freddie Gorman and I read that Marv Johnson also did some postal work
Views: 252
    Good enough. But what Detroit Soul music producer funded his productions with money he made working at The US Postal Service?
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-26-2016 at 05:34 PM.

15. Harvey Fuqua, Roquel "Billy" Davis, Gwen Gordy, Anna Gordy.
Views: 252
    Incorrect. Two too many. I think you are thinking of Anna Records, and, I don't think Harvey was an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 244
    30 is CORRECT! 29 is only 1/3 correct.
    Robert and Hazel Coleman

Nothing....I saw 21 Martha Reeves and didn't scoll back to check the question.

35 Martha Reeves, Rita Wright Diana Ross and Gwen Owens all worked as secretaries at Motown
Views: 257
    Okay, good enough. But who was a very early secretary at Motown, and who was the receptionist at Correc-Tone?

36 joe stubbs
    falcons/contours
Views: 254
    Exactly CORRECT!

31 Johnnie Mae Mathews
Views: 243
    I never heard of Johnnie Mae Matthews being a DJ. When was she a DJ, and with which radio station?

12 John Von Battle
Views: 257
    Close, but not quite all correct.

Russ Terrana
    Bob Olhsson
    Tom Nixon
    Lawrence T Horn
    Harold Taylor
    Steve Smith
    Bob Dennis
    Larry Miles
    Ed Wolfrum
    Ken Sands
Views: 253
    Good enough list to get most. But, who had that position before Mike McLean, and still was doing it part-time after Mike was there for a while?

40 Andre Williams
Views: 266
    Close, but no cigar! Andre Williams produced The Creations, but NOT The Charters.

44 Lamont Dozier
Views: 241
    #44 is CORRECT!

Robert and Hazel Coleman
Views: 239
    CORRECT! #29 is now complete!

Views: 259
    So far, the following are correct, with a few partially correct:
    8 [[need one more important producer/postal worker)
    21 [[need 3 more group members)
    33 [[need earliest)
    35 [[need 2 others)
    43 [[need Nikki Todd, Tyran Carlo, and Alvin English)
    45 [[need another)

So, we need answers to: 1,2,5,6, 7, 8[[partial),9,10,12,13,14,17,18,19,20,21[[partial),2 2,23,24,26,27,28,31,32,33[[partial), 35[[partial)37,39,40,43[[partial) , and 45[[partial)
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-27-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Ivy Jo Hunter
    Ty Hunter
    Don Hunter
    Joe Hunter
Views: 242
    Good answer.
    There's one more Detroit Soul Hunter, who was the lead singer of two 1960s Soul groups.

Clue: He was Ty Hunter's brother, and was the lead singer of two reasonably well-known Detroit Soul groups covering both the early and late '60s.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-27-2016 at 04:29 AM.

35. If my memory is right, Fern Bledsoe of the Aprils and the Fascinations was a Motown secretary.

35. If my memory is right, Fern Bledsoe of the Aprils and the Fascinations was a Motown secretary.
Views: 214
    We still need probably Motown's earliest receptionist, and Correc-Tone's as well.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-27-2016 at 04:16 AM.

35. How about Mable John?

35. How about Mable John?
Views: 229
    I hadn't heard that Mable worked as a secretary or receptionist at Motown.
    The receptionist at Correc-Tone was one of their singing artists. And the early Motown receptionist was a songwriter at Motown, and also at Correc-Tone [[under an alias, while working for Motown).
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-27-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Janie Bradford typed up the Miracles contract.

Views: 251
    Yes, you are correct. Harvey Fuqua and Gwen Gordy were the only 2 owners. I got screwed up with my Quiz numbers. Sorry, sorry, sorry.
    I knew that one, hehehhehehehehehehehe......................

Views: 218
    Do you know any of the others? Everyone seems to have abandoned this thread. You are the only American who has commented, and a Detroiter, too [[isn't that right?). I know you've lived a long time in New ork. But didn't you grow up in Detroit?

Everyone deserted this thread =, and gave up. I see that it had WAY TOO MANY questions. Here are the answers to the questions that were NOT answered, or were only partially answered:

1) Jimmy [[James) Ingram was the lead singer of The Leaping Flames
    2) Berry Gordy, Billy "Roquel" Davis and Gwen Gordy were the owners of Fidelity Music.
    5) Herman Griffin, Cody Black and Gigi & The Charmaines all hailed originally from Cincinnati, Ohio.
    6) The Five Quails, Ann Bogan, Charley Hatcher[[Edwin Starr), The Quails, The O'Jays, and The Hesitations all came originally from Cleveland, Ohio.
    7) Herschel Hunter was the lead singer of both Detroit's Moments, and The Tempos.
    8) Kable, Mickay's and Ring record producer, Fred Brown, was the other '60s Detroit Soul man who worked for The US Postal Service.
    9) Willie Jones the longest tenured lead singer of The Royal Jokers.
    10) The Five Jets featured Derrick Martin, Joe Murphy and Billy Davis, among others.
    12) Joe Von Battle owned JVB, Battle and Von Records.
    13) Reverend James Hendrix owned Carrie and Staff Records. Lou Beatty [[and James Hendrix [[for a while) owned LaBeat Records, Mary Jane Records, and Cool School Records. James Hendrix co-owned Arnold Records, Lanrod Records.
    14) Armen Boladian owned Fascination, Oasis, Ring, K.O., and Knockout Records.
    17) Willie "Tony" Ewing owned Criss Music [[and also Spin, Chex and Volume Records.
    18) Vernon Williams was a member of Detroit's Royal Holidays, Satintones and Pyramids?
    19) Preston Carnes was the owner of Detroit's Astra Records.
    20) Carmen Murphy owned HOB, Starmaker, Soul, and Spartan Records. She financed them by using profits from her beauty shop, "The House of Beauty", located at 111 Mack.
    21) The Del-Fi's, Del-Phis, Vells, Martha & The Vandellas recorded for Kable, Check-Mate, Mel-o-dy and Gordy Records. On Kable Records, they backed up J.J. Barnes.
    22) The Majestics recorded for Contour, Chex, Allrite, Thelma and VIP Records.
    23) The Playboys/Fabulous Playboys who later became The [[2nd) Falcons group, recorded for Contour, DaCo. LuPine, Atlantic, and Big Wheel Records.
    24) Brenda and Patrice Holloway and Sandy Wynns were all L.A. Jobete Music Office performers from 1963-1966, who also recorded in Detroit. Mary Love, Gloria Jones and Pat Hunt didn't share, did NOT record there, nor Did Mary and Gloria after signing with Motown in 1972. Sandy Wynns [[recorded for HDH in Detroit, as lead singer of The Honey Cone).
    26) Joey "King" Fish was the only one on my previous list, to never have worked for Motown nor had a credit on a Motown Record'. Mike Hanks never worked at Motown, but got Motown producer credit when The Fantastic Four's "I Love You Madly" was re-released on Gordy Records.
    27) The name of the in-house music publisher of Morris Kaplan's Danceland Records was Lovelane Music.
    28) Armen Boladian owned Bridgeport Music'
    31) LeBaron Taylor was the Detroit DJ who owned[[or co-owned) at least 3 record labels [[Revilot, Groovesville and Solid Hit).
    32) Ernest Burt owned Magic City Records.
    33) Motown's first sound Engineer was Robert Bateman.
    35) The secretaries or office receptionists for Detroit record companies not mentioned were Janie Bradford [[Motown 1959), and Laura Johnson [[Correc-Tone 1962-63).
    37) The African American Detroit Soul record label owners who were shot and killed while operating their companies were Mike Hanks and Diamond Jim Riley. Robert West was shot [[by Herman Griffin), but lived to a ripe old age.
    39) The lead singer of The Caravelles and The first Detroit Dramatics group was Harry "Lee" Gates.
    40) The Creations and Charters both came from Toledo, Ohio.
    43) Nikki Todd was Janie Bradford's alias, when moonlighting, writing songs for Correc-Tone Records, H. Tyran Carlo was "Roquel" Billy Davis, I. Alvin English was Melvin Franklin.
    45) 5th Hunter was Herschel Hunter, lead singer of The Moments and The Tempos, and brother of Ty Hunter.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-30-2016 at 05:03 AM.

Robb, the O'Jays were from Canton, Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, the O'Jays were from Canton, Ohio.
Views: 208
    Sorry. I should have said first recording city. I meant that all the artists in that question were Cleveland[[rather than Cincinnati or Columbus) singing artists, as opposed to Detroit artists. I couldn't just use "Ohio", as I had a similar question lumping the Cincinnati artists who later became "Detroit artists".

Views: 208
    Sorry. I should have said first recording city. I meant that all the artists in that question were Cleveland[[rather than Cincinnati or Columbus) singing artists, as opposed to Detroit artists. I couldn't just use "Ohio", as I had a similar question lumping the Cincinnati artists who later became "Detroit artists".
    I understand. It's like, we had always considered Bootsy Collins as a Detroit Artist [[but he was from Cincinnati) as well as George Clinton [[who was actually from New Jersey).

Janie Bradford typed up the Miracles contract.
Views: 213
    Yes, Janie Bradford was Motown's first secretary/receptionist, as far as I know.

Sorry I missed this in my answers. But, I was over 3 hours posting the answers, and, I think you posted this answer after I started typing the answers post, but before I finished.

robb said:

I. Alvin English was Melvin Franklin

Robb, Melvin Franklin was born David English, though Melvin I'm told was indeed his middle name. Otherwise,though I'd been stumped by most of the questions you asked on this thread I was glad you posted it. I didn't know how much I didn't know about the Detroit
    music scene until you did. LOL!!!!....

Do you know any of the others? Everyone seems to have abandoned this thread. You are the only American who has commented, and a Detroiter, too [[isn't that right?). I know you've lived a long time in New ork. But didn't you grow up in Detroit?
    Yes Robb a New Yorker, but always will be a Detroiter / Toledoian. This thread is a Gold Star thread in my opinion in that there is so much to learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    robb said:

Robb, Melvin Franklin was born David English, though Melvin I'm told was indeed his middle name. Otherwise,though I'd been stumped by most of the questions you asked on this thread I was glad you posted it. I didn't know how much I didn't know about the Detroit
    I was about to say, I always knew Melvin's birth name was David English but then thought he may have used Alvin English for writing purposes just as he used Melvin Franklin for performing purposes. It would be interesting as well to have a thread to show the many family relationships that were at Motown. Melvin and Rick James were related for instance.

Views: 229
    I hadn't heard that Mable worked as a secretary or receptionist at Motown.
    The receptionist at Correc-Tone was one of their singing artists. And the early Motown receptionist was a songwriter at Motown, and also at Correc-Tone [[under an alias, while working for Motown).
    Mable John never worked as a secretary for Motown. Martha Reeves did and according to Diane Ross, she did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    robb said:

Views: 209
    Sorry. Of course DAVID English was his birth name. I can't believe I listed "Alvin" English. I never heard of an Alvin English. I'm getting more senile by the moment. But, I see that trying to pull off a quiz of 45 questions, with most of them requiring several answer components is ridiculously difficult to keep track. I'd better keep it down to 5 at a time from now on.

Views: 209
    Sorry. Of course DAVID English was his birth name. I can't believe I listed "Alvin" English. I never heard of an Alvin English. I'm getting more senile by the moment. But, I see that trying to pull off a quiz of 45 questions, with most of them requiring several answer components is ridiculously difficult to keep track. I'd better keep it down to 5 at a time from now on.
    Robb k, shut your mouth!...5 at a time...sheesh!...You erred in a valiant attempt to get folks
    back to talking about what many seemed to have forgotten how to do...the history of all of this great music. I was learning even when I was replying. With the scope of what you provided, you're allowed a few mistakes. I can't think of anyone else here who could even have put together a quiz like that...Cheers...

Views: 201
    I tried to bring back the type of participation we had on these quizzes in 2003. But, sadly, several of the Detroit music experts we had here back then, are no longer with us [[some deceased[[Ron Murphy), others too busy with other things).
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-31-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Views: 201
    I tried to bring back the type of participation we had on these quizzes in 2003. But, sadly, several of the Detroit music experts we had here back then, are lo longer with us [[some deceased, others too busy with other things).
    Robb, please by all means continue! JAI, you too!

robb, please by all means continue! Jai, you too!
    aww shucks marv,i'm speechless,but when it comes to this wonderful music history robb is the guru...and i'm a student in his classroom,more robb more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    aww shucks marv,i'm speechless,but when it comes to this wonderful music history robb is the guru...and i'm a student in his classroom,more robb more!!!
    Ok, don't make me start a Quiz about music, Detroit etc. I will delve into the bowels of my personal memory and you'll all be in trouble! LOL!

Ok, don't make me start a Quiz about music, Detroit etc. I will delve into the bowels of my personal memory and you'll all be in trouble! LOL!
Views: 197
    DO it! We dare yah!

Views: 197
    DO it! We dare yah!
    Ok just give a day or two and I will post.

With so many questions being set, I was hoping that they'd be kept up longer before the answers to the unsolved ones were given as I was going to attempt some more when I had more time.

Question on Answer35. When was Janie Bradford a recording artist?

Question on Answer35. When was Janie Bradford a recording artist?
Views: 189

Good point. As far as I know, she wasn't a singer. So, I should have said "recording artists and production staff".

Sorry.

Here are another few question questions:

46) Who was Dino Courray
    . For whom did he work, and when?
    47) What was Johnny West's birth name?
    48) Who owned Exit Records?

49) What major labels picked up Solid Hitbound Productions?
    50) Who recorded for Oncore, SVR and Hanna Barbera