[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Anthology Sets

We know that it is unlikely that more anthology sets will be issued [[for the time being at least?) but there are so many Motown artists that still deserve this kind of release. A Fantastic Four set would be great - Detroit Spinners, Originals [[I would love a set containing all their albums), Thelma Houston, others.......

The Jimmy Ruffin set seemed a bit strange by comparison to the others in my opinion.

Maybe some of their original albums will be released on CD by, say, Reel Music?

The Originals didn't have enough hits or notable deep cuts to warrant an anthology, but they do have a "best of" CD that came out several years ago. Unfortunately, it's in stereo, and do not not the hit single mixes.

And I will say it again: Stevie Wonder is in deep need of a proper anthology with ALL of the correct single versions from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post

Maybe some of their original albums will be released on CD by, say, Reel Music?
    Reel Music seems to be an arm of Sony Music, so I would not expect them to reissue anything but the Sony/BMG catalog. In fact, I really wish they would reissue the rest of the Emotions catalog on the Columbia label because I don't wany BBE in the U.K. to do it. They would just compress the shit out of it. besides, Reel Music does a great job on the mastering and liner notes [[remember them?).
    Last edited by soulster; 01-03-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Motown / Reel Music

Hello,

Paul here at Reel Music!

We should have quite a lot of cool Motown titles out this year. Reel will be reissuing Thelma Houston's MoWest album [[UK version, plus the one US track not on that), with major booklet.

We're also working on some other projects with Universal which I'll announce as soon as papers are signed.

Reel Music isn't an arm of Sony, but I'd be happy to be bought out by them!! We just have a great relationship with them and Universal, so if anyone has any ideas for reissues from these two majors , feel free to write to me at k10098@gmail.com

In addition to the regular jewel case w/booklet CDs, we'll also be doing some Japanese style reissues with old style paste on jackets, OBI's etc., which will sell for around $11.99

The first two are Bill Withers "Making Music" and "Naked And Warm". Black Ivory "Feel It" and Caroline Crawford "My Name Is Caroline" are the second lot, late March / early April
    respectively.

And thanks for noticing that we don't compress the sh*t out of stuff when remastering. In fact, we never add any compression so any that is on there was on the original tape transfer we received.

Paul

uptight Guest
    Thank you for chiming in, Paul! I love the Reel Music CDs I bought and appreciate your passion for presenting those older titles to us again.

Hello Paul!

I stand corrected! I thought you were part of Sony.

Thanks for your input, and I hope you take my suggestions seriously. I have a list of several R&B titles from the late 70s/early 80s that I would love to see properly treated to CD for the first time.

I do believe your engineers do finer work than the majority of companies out there do with regard in treating the music right. Mastering compression/limiting is a cancer on music today, and we need more brave companies like yours to resist that needless practice. Non-audiophiles may not know or understand what the difference is, but they feel it. Aside from Reel Music, Apple, and the audiophile labels like Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity, the only other company I can think of who will not squash the dynamics is Wounded Bird. If a company is going to reissue classic recordings, maybe for the only time in history, why damage the sound? There are tricks to make a louder CD without compromising the integrity of the master tape. Using top name engineers certainly works for me.

Thanks for your response, and i'm happy that you are listening to your customers! Some companies invite feedback, but providing it is like talking to brick walls.