[REMOVE ADS]

Ann Peebles question

This is really obscure but I am betting one of you guys will have the answer, since you always do!

In the early 90s, Ann made a comeback on the Bullseye Blues label with a great album entitled Full Time Love. One of the songs on it was I suppose meant to be autobiographical and it was entitled "St. Louis Woman With a Memphis Melody."

In that song, the opening line is "I was born In Missouri." Well that part sort of adds up because I think her official birthplace has always been listed as East St. Louis, Illinois, logically right across the river. But then a line or two into the song, she talks about how she enjoyed singing with her family "in Kenlark County." Or at least it sounds like she is saying Kenlark.

So here is my question.....there is no Kenlark County in either Illinois or Missouri, so am I misunderstanding that lyric or did she grow up in another state that DOES have a Kenlark County?

[[Can you tell from this and all my other postings that I have had a lot of free time this weekend?????)

She might be saying Clinton County which Wikepedia says is part of the St. Louis, MO-IL Metropolitan Statistical Area. East St Louis is in St Clair County. Possible mis-hearing due to an accent?