[REMOVE ADS]

Any Charter Members out there?

I was going through the Archives and found a posting of mine from 2003. I was posting under another name then. I was surprised I had been around that long. Seems like yesterday. A number of people have come and gone [[literally) over the years. It's been quite a journey. Wonder who's been here the longest?

Lowell and Ralph!!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Lowell and Ralph!!
    Brilliant! I would have never guessed! LOL! I think you might be, John.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/

Looking back at some of those names, I am still in touch with most of them - some more than others - Ralph Ian Carl Ritchie Dave Flynn Harry Weinger Andy Rix, Jeannie Sorensen and a whole lot more but I stopped when I got to Alan Pollard. We've lost a few people too. RIP Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Brilliant! I would have never guessed! LOL! I think you might be, John.
    We used to have our real name and our moniker displayed at one point so I can never hide who I am because it's in the archives. The poster would be be displayed as theboyfromxtown [[John Lester). So yes that is me!!

So what was your screen name then?

We used to have our real name and our moniker displayed at one point so I can never hide who I am because it's in the archives. The poster would be be displayed as theboyfromxtown [[John Lester). So yes that is me!!

So what was your screen name then?
    My old name was 'boynextdoor'.
    I just went back and found 2 more of my threads from 2003....under the names rockfan and lagunabeach. Good Lord....did we change names like socks back then?
    I remember some of those names you mentioned....Dave Flynn, Jeannie. I also remember scratcher, 1wicked, kamasu, NYsister, Vickie, acoolcat, douglasm, sisdetroit, stingBeeLee,
    WonderB, and the list goes on.
    Last edited by blueskies; 07-12-2016 at 01:11 PM.

I was going through the Archives and found a posting of mine from 2003. I was posting under another name then. I was surprised I had been around that long. Seems like yesterday. A number of people have come and gone [[literally) over the years. It's been quite a journey. Wonder who's been here the longest?
    I joined in early 2003 also.

Man, you guys are going a ways back. Interesting. John Lester, I think you were here before I was.

In one bound, theboyfromxtown moves from 'Senior Member', to 'Veteran'....

John, I've just read the thread from may, 2002, on the Originals' gig for Richard Searling's 50th at Manchester Ritz. I've always wished I could have been there, and almost imagined I was after reading your review!

More names came to mind....haven't heard from these folks in a LONG time.
    Michael/Cleoharvey
    nosey
    Stephanie
    Sis Detroit
    Sue
    Common
    Nish
    Soul Sister
    Lady Mystique
    NY City Diva
    Fayette
    DyvaNaye
    Dinelle
    And, I remember some member by the name of Hula Girl who was....well....different!
    Maybe Ralph remembers that one. Some pretty 'odd' post went on! I think maybe they got banned? I needed to go lay down after reading a few of those posts! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    John, I've just read the thread from may, 2002, on the Originals' gig for Richard Searling's 50th at Manchester Ritz. I've always wished I could have been there, and almost imagined I was after reading your review!
    Soulwally

Amazing performance. Absolutely amazing. I got all their autographs and I can still remember that night. Incredible. It was at the Manchester Ritz. It was a one-off.

I did have a cd of that performance. One day I will find it when I have a sort out.

More names came to mind....haven't heard from these folks in a LONG time.
    Michael/Cleoharvey
    nosey
    Stephanie
    Sis Detroit
    Sue
    Common
    Nish
    Soul Sister
    Lady Mystique
    NY City Diva
    Fayette
    DyvaNaye
    Dinelle
    And, I remember some member by the name of Hula Girl who was....well....different!
    Maybe Ralph remembers that one. Some pretty 'odd' post went on! I think maybe they got banned? I needed to go lay down after reading a few of those posts! LOL!
    Stephanie is still here. Nish was a big Miracles fan. Sue was Sue Whittall. Nosey was a relation of CP Spencer. Michael Cleo....called himself Handsome and loved a glass or 2 of gin!! The one that I remember was Just7Numbers. He could be provocative but I get on fine with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Man, you guys are going a ways back. Interesting. John Lester, I think you were here before I was.
    Now you come to mention it, I think you're right. David Meikle wanted a Motown fan and Keith Rylatt urged me to come onboard and I did. It was all folks from the UK at first but we were all talking about USA [[specifically Detroit) music. There was Ritchie, Ian, Carl and a few more. We were all pretty gobsmacked when Ralph joined!! He was the holy grail as far as we were concerned!

Stephanie is still here. Nish was a big Miracles fan. Sue was Sue Whittall. Nosey was a relation of CP Spencer. Michael Cleo....called himself Handsome and loved a glass or 2 of gin!! The one that I remember was Just7Numbers. He could be provocative but I get on fine with him.
    Thanks for that update, John. I remember Handsome. I also remember Just7Njmbers....yes, provocative is a good description. Never had any interaction with him. I didn't post much in the early days as everyone seemed so much more knowledgeable. I had nothing to offer...just ask questions. That hasn't changed, much. LOL! There's been some real characters pass through these hallowed halls. Lots of interesting folks and some really good threads and great info. passed on.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  21.1 KB
    Didn't David Meikle and Lowell start SDF? I joined in late 2002. Let's not forget Ron Murphy and Bobby Eli, and Soul Sister, and RodS, Juice, and Ray Monette, Bob Babbit, and StuBass, and The Kount, and Mike McLean, and Bob Ohlsson, and Don Montgomerie, and Moe, and Oldismusicfan, Mel and ThenSome, Davie Gordon, Lynn Bruce, Dave Moore, Joe Morehouse, Gary Rosen, One Wicked.
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-13-2016 at 05:56 AM.

Yes David and Lowell started up SDF. I think they set it up in mid 2001, I seem to recall joining in the autumn of that year. As I said earlier, there were only a few of us and it was then ONLY about Detroit music...and our common interest was Mike Terry. If you look back in the archives, you will find that Mike posted on the Forum.

Davie Gordon was a walking encyclopaedia....lovely guy.....he went on to set up 45cat and i would encourage anyone to join that site. And so was Acoolcat...that might have been Dave Flynn

We've had a lot of the original Detroit people here thanks to Ralph. Many of whom are no longer around....Mike Terry, Mike Valvano, George McGregor, Deke Richards - who can forget those days.

Yes David and Lowell started up SDF. I think they set it up in mid 2001, I seem to recall joining in the autumn of that year. As I said earlier, there were only a few of us and it was then ONLY about Detroit music...and our common interest was Mike Terry. If you look back in the archives, you will find that Mike posted on the Forum.

Davie Gordon was a walking encyclopaedia....lovely guy.....he went on to set up 45cat and i would encourage anyone to join that site. And so was Acoolcat...that might have been Dave Flynn

We've had a lot of the original Detroit people here thanks to Ralph. Many of whom are no longer around....Mike Terry, Mike Valvano, George McGregor, Deke Richards - who can forget those days.
    Attachment 11486
    No. Acooolcat is Graham. Dave Flynn is "Flynny". Also Joe Hunter even posted a few times. A LOT of Motown and Detroit Soul producers and artists posted here back in the day. We still have Spyder Turner and Clay MacMurray.

I was here from almost the beginning of this forum. I probably had a different screen name. I initially left because of the rising level of nonsense from certain malcontents, and family illness. When I came back somewhere around 2005, I had to re-register under a new name and password.

So that is who is to blame for setting up 45cat is it ... I've spent the best part of the past two years cataloguing my various collections there, and on the sister-site 45Worlds. Totally ruined my life when I think of all the other things I could have been doing!!

And it was me who catalogued SDF's own little 45 there on 45Cat .. as can be seen by following this link ... http://www.45cat.com/record/nc888487us .. needless to say it looks like I'm the only person there who has a copy!

When I first saw the title of this thread I assumed that "Charter" was some kind of society or web-based organisation. It never occurred to me that it meant original members.

I joined in the fun sometime around August/September 2003, which was just prior to people needing to register and I think we could specify our own site-id with each post. I decided from day one that I would only ever post as "Roger" quite simply as that is the name on my birth certificate. At that time there was an increasing problem with "trolling", people doing multiple postings under different ids to mimic "conversations" etc., or just being obnoxious. I know that after a few months [[early 2004?) it moved to the current registration system. I must have been doing something right as my registration request was granted virtually immediately.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 11486
    No. Acooolcat is Graham. Dave Flynn is "Flynny". Also Joe Hunter even posted a few times. A LOT of Motown and Detroit Soul producers and artists posted here back in the day. We still have Spyder Turner and Clay MacMurray.
    Come to think of it..you're right...didn't acoolcat teach in Taiwan.....Flynny is in Japan

Soulwally

Amazing performance. Absolutely amazing. I got all their autographs and I can still remember that night. Incredible. It was at the Manchester Ritz. It was a one-off.

I did have a cd of that performance. One day I will find it when I have a sort out.
    If you ever find that CD, John, I'd love a copy. Since that Ritz gig, of course, we've gained the joys of youtube, so those of us who never saw them live can watch them on Soul Train [[two performances, I think), and the PBS show they did [[Terri in for CP). Walter Gaines looked quite frail during that performance.

Soulwally...

When I read your review...I thought to myself...I ought to let you have a copy. Yes, If I find it, I'll let you know.

I might find an easier way though....give me a week or so.

Soulwally...

When I read your review...I thought to myself...I ought to let you have a copy. Yes, If I find it, I'll let you know.

OK. On my hols for a week from Saturday in sunny Ibiza, so I'll probably be quiet on here.

Have a great time. If it's anything like the south of France, it's gonna be boiling hot.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Stephanie will be around later this week.

*SMILE*

Come to think of it..you're right...didn't acoolcat teach in Taiwan.....Flynny is in Japan
Views: 177
    Yes, Graham was working in Taiwan. Maybe he still is? He sent e-mails from Britain sometimes, but, I think those were only on short return visits. But not sure.

Wow,you guys are old[hehe]i was talking to[self]the other day and he told me that i was here in[2003]myself,wow i'm old too...who knew!!!!

Soulwally...

I'm back now. Any joy?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 207
    Didn't David Meikle and Lowell start SDF? I joined in late 2002. Let's not forget Ron Murphy and Bobby Eli, and Soul Sister, and RodS, Juice, and Ray Monette, Bob Babbit, and StuBass, and The Kount, and Mike McLean, and Bob Ohlsson, and Don Montgomerie, and Moe, and Oldismusicfan, Mel and ThenSome, Davie Gordon, Lynn Bruce, Dave Moore, Joe Morehouse, Gary Rosen, One Wicked.
    Ahem......

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I'm back now. Any joy?
    I can't find it anywhere. I tried another source and that didn't work. I have one more idea.

I can't find it anywhere. I tried another source and that didn't work. I have one more idea.
    You've gotta keep searchin', searchin' [[apologies to Del Shannon)

I've tried 2 other sources...none of us can find it. It was recorded by Bob McClure but he's passed on now.

I'm sure to come across it some day

Please keep me in mind.