[REMOVE ADS]

Finally!! High inergy soul train debut on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3gH_18drRw

I know I've been waiting at least 15 yrs for someone to post this on YouTube. I fell in love with these girls when they made their first tv appearance on Soul Train. Hope you all enjoy as much as I have. RIP Linda Howard

Great clip! Many great memories from that one.

I thought there were 4 girls. Can anyone identify these three?

[[L-R) Michelle Martin, Linda Howard, Barbara Mitchell

Barbara's sister Vernessa was absent, not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    [[L-R) Michelle Martin, Linda Howard, Barbara Mitchell

Barbara's sister Vernessa was absent, not sure why.
    Vernessa is doing the lead. Barbara is missing.

From YouTube comments.....
    poor Barbara watched in tears from the side, she was too young to get clearance in time to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    From YouTube comments.....
    poor Barbara watched in tears from the side, she was too young to get clearance in time to perform.
    This is true, the girls were all in their teens, Barbara just 14. The Soul Train booking was done so fast that the clearance from Barbara to perform as a minor had not yet been approved but the record was out and they needed the exposure. I just love the footwork Michelle and Linda do on here. This group could have done so much more. The only thing I didn't like was the "Stop" gesture stolen from the Supremes. They could have come up with something else. Vernessa Mitchell was and still is a great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is true, the girls were all in their teens, Barbara just 14. The Soul Train booking was done so fast that the clearance from Barbara to perform as a minor had not yet been approved but the record was out and they needed the exposure. I just love the footwork Michelle and Linda do on here. This group could have done so much more. The only thing I didn't like was the "Stop" gesture stolen from the Supremes. They could have come up with something else. Vernessa Mitchell was and still is a great singer.
    I vaguely remember reading something about Barbara not being able to appear in JET or RIGHT ON! I do know that she was there when they sang the song on Merv Griffin's show. I also remember when Dinah Shore hosted some sort of event to introduce the girls to the media. I think they were presented with gold albums for TURNIN' ON there.

Is Vernessa still singing gospel?

What happened to the other girls in the group [[besides Vernessa)?

Linda Howard passed away in 2012 of cancer:

http://soultrain.com/2012/12/24/in-m...-linda-howard/

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Linda Howard passed away in 2012 of cancer:

http://soultrain.com/2012/12/24/in-m...-linda-howard/
    Thanks Marv, I wasn't aware Linda had passed. Found this on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArWqBF0-qA

What happened to the other girls in the group [[besides Vernessa)?
    Vernessa still travels as a gospel vocalist and still sounds great. Barbara had two failed solo lps in the 80s and now lives in Georgia [[as does Vernessa) where she does radio and tv jingles last I heard. Linda Howard died a couple years ago and Michelle Martin suffered a breakdown during the filming of Motown 25 and was replaced by Pat Douglas. Michelle I think works a regular job. About ten years ago the four had a reunion.

Thanks Marv, I wasn't aware Linda had passed. Found this on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArWqBF0-qA
    She was beautiful and talented. My favorite.

She was beautiful and talented. My favorite.
    Yes, Linda was a looker.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3DZ-S6fY5Y

Great to see them perform a beautiful song! In watching today, I had to remember that it wasn't 1965 and this wasn't just* another girl group. What do I mean? First, they're wearing pants [[pantsuits). Feminine, but not elegant--in spite of the more casual vibe if Soul Train. The choreography... It actually struck me as very......masculine. Moves that you would see from a male group. The shuffling back and forth and especially the high kick by Vernessa towards the end. I know Gwen Gordy was having Motown push them as "The New Supremes" [[which is kind of rude coming from their same record company, but I digress), but other than appearing on this show as a trio, they really don't strike me as Supreme-like. As for the "stop!" gesture blatantly stolen from The Supremes, they certainly could've done a two-handed extension or something else. I wonder if that was intentional because of the attempt to promote them as "The New Supremes"?

Lastly, sad to hear one of the ladies had a breakdown just before M25. Wasn't it just before taping? Or was it in the days/weeks beforehand? The life of a performer isn't for everyone, I guess.
    Last edited by danman869; 07-07-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Added "just"

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Great to see them perform a beautiful song! In watching today, I had to remember that it wasn't 1965 and this wasn't just* another girl group. What do I mean? First, they're wearing pants [[pantsuits). Feminine, but not elegant--in spite of the more casual vibe if Soul Train. The choreography... It actually struck me as very......masculine. Moves that you would see from a male group. The shuffling back and forth and especially the high kick by Vernessa towards the end. I know Gwen Gordy was having Motown push them as "The New Supremes" [[which is kind of rude coming from their same record company, but I digress), but other than appearing on this show as a trio, they really don't strike me as Supreme-like. As for the "stop!" gesture blatantly stolen from The Supremes, they certainly could've done a two-handed extension or something else. I wonder if that was intentional because of the attempt to promote them as "The New Supremes"?

Lastly, sad to hear one of the ladies had a breakdown just before M25. Wasn't it just before taping? Or was it in the days/weeks beforehand? The life of a performer isn't for everyone, I guess.
    During the rehearsals.

Last edited by blueskies; 07-08-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Oh that is so great that you highlighted each of their solo efforts. Thank you Blueskies, you're a champ!

Who could forget this now legendary performance from "Motown 25":

Linda Howard also did a stint with Sister Sledge [[Joannie and Debbie) There is a clip on youtube of Linda with the group. Linda and Michelle always got a bad rap as not being singers, but I was told by one of their producer that they both were were pretty decent singers. If I'm not mistaken Michelle sang lead on one of their album cuts called "Didn't Want To Do It". Group had a lot of potential and Motown of must have felt the same way because the ladies released several albums but had minimal chart action.
    Dinah Shore did present the ladies at a gig at the Roxy in Hollywood California.

I don't think the SO GOOD cd above is by the Barbara Mitchell of High Inergy.

http://www.khvnam.com/barbara-mitchell/

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

I was gonna say, "She looks completely different!" Thanks as always, Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Yes, you're correct. Wrong Barbara Mitchell....let's try this.

Who could forget this now legendary performance from "Motown 25":

Would I be correct in assuming that Pat Douglas of High Inergy was the lady wearing the purple outfit onstage at M25? I only ask because Linda Howard[[?--in green) seems totally on top of her choreography and Miss Purple seems a little lost and watching to see where she should go and what she should be doing during [[one of my personal H.I. favorites) "He's A Pretender." If Miss Purple was Miss Douglas, I can't imagine it was easy stepping in during rehearsals--especially if she may not have had any familiarity with the group's repertoire and choreography which seemed, excuse the pun, very high energy.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Would I be correct in assuming that Pat Douglas of High Inergy was the lady wearing the purple outfit onstage at M25? I only ask because Linda Howard[[?--in green) seems totally on top of her choreography and Miss Purple seems a little lost and watching to see where she should go and what she should be doing during [[one of my personal H.I. favorites) "He's A Pretender." If Miss Purple was Miss Douglas, I can't imagine it was easy stepping in during rehearsals--especially if she may not have had any familiarity with the group's repertoire and choreography which seemed, excuse the pun, very high energy.
    That is not the Barbara Mitchell of High Inergy. Pat Douglas is indeed the lady in purple and Linda Howard died of kidney failure, not cancer