[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes in the Recording Studio

Thank you for sharing this link. Many of us remember when this aired on television, and many of us know that this was a staged [[not actually live) rendition of the song. It does, however, demonstrate the recording studio setup and the electricity that was probably felt whether it was just the rhythm tracks being recorded, the adding of the the strings and other instruments, or the adding of the vocals. Did I catch a glimpse of Lamont Dozier at one point, and of one of the Holland brothers at one point?

Most of us know there is also a "Mother You, Smother You" setup similar to this [[with Lamont jokingly telling Benny Benjamin, "And Benny, watch the tempo!" which was hilarious because Benny was known for his metronome-like steadiness of a tempo/rhythm. There is also another clip out there of the Temptations doing a similar setup with "Sorry is a Sorry Word."

THANK YOU, Jobeterob, for posting this link adding to the Motown magic well all experience in such "Reflections." LOL
    Last edited by jobucats; 06-24-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correction of a quote

This originally aired as part of the special THE ANATOMY OF POP. Indeed, you can see Brian Holland quite often, as well as brief glimpse of Lamont Dozier.

As mentioned above, there is also a film of MOTHER YOU, SMOTHER YOU. They showed a bit of it on MOTOWN 40, but I never knew what it was originally filmed for.

I thought I saw one of the Holland brothers singing in the clip

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This originally aired as part of the special THE ANATOMY OF POP. Indeed, you can see Brian Holland quite often, as well as brief glimpse of Lamont Dozier.

As mentioned above, there is also a film of MOTHER YOU, SMOTHER YOU. They showed a bit of it on MOTOWN 40, but I never knew what it was originally filmed for.
    And this clip was included as an extra on The Supremes "Reflections-The Definitive Performances 1964-1969" DVD. It's a great window into the past to see the group [[as well as HDH & The Funk Bros.) at work. Also, you can find a brief clip of The Temptations doing "Sorry Is A Sorry Word" in the studio on their DVD "Get Ready-Definitive Performances 1965-1972".

The first time I visited Hitsville in Sept. of 2012, besides being overwhelmed by standing in the room where all of this great music was recorded, was also knowing I was standing in the spot where Diana was "singing" in this clip. "My World is Empty Without You" is my favorite Supremes song so I had watched this clip many times over the years on Youtube. As I was standing in the doorway to the Snakepit, I could picture in my mind this footage which was luckily captured for posterity. It was a very special feeling!
    Darin

Diana is so over-the-top! I love it! Annunciate-a those words-a, diva!