[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I haven't got the energy now that I've hit 70, and one Vince Cable is quite enough
    I feel exactly the same. I'm tired of all this constant nastiness.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I feel exactly the same. I'm tired of all this constant nastiness.
    The nastiness is not surprising. The most ardent Leavers in the Tory Party included Iain Duncan Smith, John Redwood and Norman Tebbit, the policies and lack of compassion of whom once led Theresa May to quite rightly describe the Conservatives as being perceived as the Nasty Party.

Just as I predicted, Brexit has degenerated into a chaotic farce. Time to put a brake on the whole process until we can achieve some sort of consensus on how to proceed.

Just as I predicted, Brexit has degenerated into a chaotic farce. Time to put a brake on the whole process until we can achieve some sort of consensus on how to proceed.
    I know, 144man. Brexit is a mess. The whole thing might even collapse in on itself.

Name:  4CD60CA7-BE64-427B-9A4A-56D3B1BCA941.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  18.7 KB
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-07-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Only one year to go

ITV News have a Brexit countdown

All I have to say is welcome to American-style politics.

Considering the "Windrush Scandal" meant that legal residents were treated as illegal immigrants, this does not augur well for EU citizens in the UK after Brexit.

A former town mayor who has lived in Britain for nearly 40 years has been denied citizenship [Metro, May 24]. Inga Lockington, who was mayor of Ipswich in 2007, moved from Denmark when she got married in 1979, and was granted leave to remain for an indefinite period. The 66-year-old applied for UK citizenship after the Brexit vote, but it was denied by the Home Office.

Why does she have to worry about the possibility of being deported when Brexit becomes a reality? That's just plain nasty.

Considering the "Windrush Scandal" meant that legal residents were treated as illegal immigrants, this does not augur well for EU citizens in the UK after Brexit.

A former town mayor who has lived in Britain for nearly 40 years has been denied citizenship [Metro, May 24]. Inga Lockington, who was mayor of Ipswich in 2007, moved from Denmark when she got married in 1979, and was granted leave to remain for an indefinite period. The 66-year-old applied for UK citizenship after the Brexit vote, but it was denied by the Home Office.

Why does she have to worry about the possibility of being deported when Brexit becomes a reality? That's just plain nasty.
    Those c***s in the immigration department are now delaying or refusing to grant visas to relatives of those who died in the Grenfell fire tragedy whereas the relatives of those who died were supposed to be able to attend and pay tribute at the official enquiry.

When did the British "sense of fair play" become a thing of the past?

Boris Johnson was unreliable enough over Brexit. Now you can't even trust him to be able to post a letter

Only 36 days to go. Now both the Labour and Conservative parties have had defections to a new independent grouping.

If Trump gets elected for a second term, will there be any possibility of California trying to leave the USA?

HA! I forget about this thread. I remember, ages ago, I considered making a daily post on this thread, updating the forum on Brexit.

Boy am I glad I decided against that idea.

If Trump gets elected for a second term, will there be any possibility of California trying to leave the USA?
    It has been revealed in recent months that California [[and Texas) trying to secede from the union was partly instigated by the Russians looking to disrupt our society with divisiveness.

It has been clear to me that the whole Brexit thing was influenced by a desire to keep non-Whites out of the country. And, again, we have found that it has been influenced by the Russians seeking to destabilize the west. It's working.

I don't know how Chairmen of the Board have managed to get involved in the Brexit debate, but the main headline on the front page of last Friday's Metro was "GIVE MAY JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME..."

Continuing its musical theme, the main headline on the front page of today's Metro is "STUCK IN THE MUDDLE WITH EU".
    Last edited by 144man; 03-26-2019 at 09:01 PM.

There was a recent front page article in the New York Times to the effect that with the attempt to prorogue Parliament we British are now starting to realise how fragile our democracy is owing to the fact that we do not have a written constitution.

Has there been much media coverage in the US about the constitutional crisis in the UK over Brexit and the impasse between the Prime Minister and Parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    All I have to say is welcome to American-style politics.
    At least for almost one whole day we didn't have to hear constantly about Trump!

11.00 and the United Kingdom has left the European Union, probably the biggest mistake this country has made in my lifetime.

Is it too early to start the "campaign to rEtUrn"?

I understand that Andrea Leadsom's performance while at the Treasury was not thought of very highly.

We are in for at least two year's of turmoil, so we need someone who can bring calm and stability to the situation. That person is Theresa May.
    I was just looking through this old thread and thought that I ought to admit that on the issue of who would be the best person to be elected leader of the Conservative Party, my preference was completely the wrong choice.

1. Rioting over the Brexit agreement has broken out by Loyalists in Northern Ireland during the last few nights. The politicians, despite warnings, ignored Northern Ireland's peculiar situation. Rioting continued last night despite Loyalist leaders asking for them to stop as a mark of respect on the day of the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. Some loyalty!
    The USA and the EU have legitimate interests in protecting the Good Friday agreement.

2. The Pandemic has distorted things so much that we will never be able to ascertain whether leaving the EU was beneficial or not.

3. We would have been able to enact our very successful current vaccination policy even if we had remained a member of the EU.

Chickens tend to come home to roost. For good or ill, choices have consequences.

EU drivers won’t return to help UK ‘get out of the s***’, says European union boss‘Drivers need way more than a visa’

Adam Forrest
    9 hours ago
    comments

EU drivers won’t return to help UK ‘get out of the s***’, says European union boss
    Lorry drivers from Europe are not keen to return to the UK to help the country “get out of the s***”, said a union leader representing hauliers across the EU.

Boris Johnson’s government is thought to be considering whether to call in soldiers to deliver fuel to petrol stations to address the drastic shortfall in tanker drivers.

The government has also agreed to offer temporary visas to 5,000 foreign heavy goods vehicle [[HGV) drivers in a bid to ease the fuel crisis.

But Edwin Atema, from the Federation of Dutch Trade Unions [[FNV), which represents lorry drivers across the EU, said it would not be enough to tempt drivers.

“The EU workers we speak to will not go to the UK for a short-term visa to help the UK get out of the s*** they created for themselves,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

The FNV leader added: “It’s not like offering a visa … and the issue will be solved. Drivers need way more than a visa and a pay slip.”

Mr Atema cited poor levels of pay, lack of good facilities and the absence of any collective bargaining agreement for the road transport industry in the UK.

“Drivers from across Europe have completely lost all trust in this industry,” he said. “Long before coronavirus and Brexit this industry was sick already, plagued by exploitation … which ended up with drivers voting with your feet and leaving.”

The FNV representative added: “Drivers need way more than just a visa and a payslip. A Marshall Plan is needed for the whole of Western Europe to drag this entire industry back to the surface where it needs to be.”

The European Road Haulers Association [[UETR), which represents 70 per cent of trucking companies across the EU, has also said lorry drivers who left Britain are unlikely to return.

“I expect many drivers will not return to the UK even if the UK government allows them to,” said Marco Digioia, general secretary of UETR.

“While offering visas to drivers on the continent would be a welcome step, there are many other issues, such as working conditions, pay and the costs of getting into and working in the UK.”

Labour’s shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves said British motorists currently queuing for hours for petrol “couldn’t care less” if tanker drivers are foreign.

“What they want to know is that they can fill up their car or their van and go about the business – so let’s plug those gaps,” said the Labour frontbencher.

Industry leaders have said drafting in the military to deliver fuel to petrol stations across Britain will not on its own end shortages on the forecourt.

The Petrol Retailers Association [[PRA) chairman Brian Madderson confirmed some training had been taking place “in the background” for military personnel.

But he warned it was not an “absolute panacea” and that there was no “single lever” the government could pull to resolve the crisis.

Some fuel supply brands are seeing pumps run dry at as many as 90 per cent of their petrol stations, according to a straw poll by the PRA.

Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng announced on Sunday that he was temporarily suspending competition laws to allow the industry to share information so it can target areas where fuel supply is running low.

Elizabeth de Jong, policy director at trade association Logistics UK, told BBC Breakfast consumers must stop panic-buying to ease the fuel crisis while the government implements longer-term solutions to tackle HGV driver shortages.

“There’s the shorter-term panic-buying, which if we go back to our normal amounts and almost relax our behaviour and bring it back to normal then that can calm down quite quickly.”
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rce=reddit.com

How it started vs How it's going:

All the Brexiteers do about all that is to blame the pandemic, and to be fair it has to have played its part.

Timing is everything.

From Twitter:
    UK goods exports fell 14% in 3 months to Jan v same period in 2020, according to Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis. Stark contrast to the global average of an 8.2 per cent rise over the same period.

^^^Why am I not surprised?

^^^Why am I not surprised?
    F*cked around and found out. It's worse on this side of the pond, where right wing fundamentalists are posing an existential threat to the republic. No hyperbole intended.

Life comes at you fast.

Three years later:

We're all f***ed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    How it started vs How it's going:
    What a joke! :|

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    What a joke! :|
    I'm not laughing.