[REMOVE ADS]

miss_lish Guest

The Impossible Dream: Who Did it Best? Miss Ross or Florence?

I'd go with the Supremes / Tempts.

I think the musical arrangement of the Supremes/Tempts version lends itself to the majesty of the lyrics. And of course, the vocals of Diana and Paul are also top notch.

By comparison, Flo's vocal is ok. But the hip swinging arrangement doesn't lend itself to the song [[IMO). It would have been nice to hear Flo perform the song with a more traditional arrangement.

miss_lish Guest
    Of course, the definitive Miss Ross production of this is from TCB, but YouTube has removed it.

topdiva1 Guest
    Why must one ALWAYS put one against the other. It is so redundant in the modern world.

smark21 Guest
    Since I don't like the song, no matter who sings it, I'll vote for neither.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Since I don't like the song, no matter who sings it, I'll vote for neither.

The question wasn't whether or not you liked the song; the question was who did it best? Please do try and read for comprehension. Your input is craved.

Diana/Tempts.

Whoever produced the Flo version I wanna slap him in the mouth.

The Diana/Supremes/Temptations version is very good.

The strings on Florence Ballards version are very good.

I must admit that that Jazz lounge arrangement didn't put the song in the best of lights. I think that a more straight-forward approach would've served Flo's version best. That version brings to mind those tv commercials for a Peter Lemengello LP, or Robert Goulet singing with the Love Boat Mermaids in the Love Boat Follies on the Pacific Princess.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but that arrangement simply didn't work for me.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana/Tempts.

Whoever produced the Flo version I wanna slap him in the mouth.
    Most of the Flo Ballard solo recordings are truthfully not well produced or arranged. wiWth the exception perhaps of her two single. It seems Flo suffered from bad EVERYTHING all around her. Poor fabulous Flo was working to get a hit against all odds

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    The question wasn't whether or not you liked the song; the question was who did it best? Please do try and read for comprehension. Your input is craved.
    The song is awful no matter who performs it, but I'll give the nod to the Diana/Paul [[with one line by Mary) version. Better arrangement suitable for this type of material and Diana's phrasing is quite good, but Supremes/Tempts is way overproduced.

Flo's version suffers from an uber cheesy arrangment and I don't like the gravely tone of her voice on this.

miss_lish Guest
    Now, let's see, who's tallying up score? ;oP

The Impossible Dream: Who Did it Best? Miss Ross or Florence?

Miss Ross.

No! Luther did it best!

Hi!

The Hesitations!

Best regards
    Heikki

to be realistic all those Ballard ABC solo recordings are mediocre at best..there just not that good..time cant elevate quality thats not there in the first place...

miss_lish Guest
    This is SupremesNation dear; reality has no place here.

The best versions are the one with Diana and Paul on TCB. Paul was such a great talent. The other is Diana's version during the Supremes final performance. It was the perfect song for her at that time in her life.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    to be realistic all those Ballard ABC solo recordings are mediocre at best..there just not that good..time cant elevate quality thats not there in the first place...
    this thread prompted me to listen to the Flo solo cuts for the first time in a long time! The production and mastering is not good at all - but some of the tunes are fun! Love Ain't Love is good, I actually like The Impossible Dream, and I do like It Doesn't Matter How I Say It - always smile at the line "if I were a bank I'd want to hold all your deposits" [[Sorry!!)

yes the sad thing is Flo never got most of her deposits..Leonard Baun,Patmon Young and Kirk and Tommy stole them...

The best version for me is Diana, Mary and Cindy's version when they performed on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1969. Diana's vocals are strong and she's just overall at her best and Mary and Cindy's harmony is great and is perfected when Diana joins in the harmony with them. Flo's version was ok, like many have said I can only listen to a few of her solo cuts like Love Ain't Love, Forever Faithful and maybe a couple more the rest are painful to listen to.

I like Flos version!!! Love the country flavor and the way she plays with the lyric. I wished Paul had song the song by himself I prefer him singing vs Diana. This song has never impressed me much although its been done a lot but Flo makes me want to listen to it and its one of the better productions on the CD of hers.

Floy - thats a good version.. Im uncomfortable when Cindy says Flos dialoug at the begining of Your Nobody..thats dosent sit well..slightly off topic I know but not worth starting a thread on..

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    this thread prompted me to listen to the Flo solo cuts for the first time in a long time! The production and mastering is not good at all - but some of the tunes are fun! Love Ain't Love is good, I actually like The Impossible Dream, and I do like It Doesn't Matter How I Say It - always smile at the line "if I were a bank I'd want to hold all your deposits" [[Sorry!!)
    Poor Flo did the best she could with really weak and ill produced material. May she rest in peace.

Gods taking care of her...

I don't think the song is too whooptie in the first place, no matter who sings it... but the best version?

And BTW... Geroge Kerr sucks donkey balls as a producer, and Suha Gur totally fucked up the remaster of Flo's tracks.

..which is surprising as Suha Gur has a good rep...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ..which is surprising as Suha Gur has a good rep...
    From whom? his remastering is never up to snuff. Gavin Lurssen, on the other hand.... BRILLIANT, right up there with the legendary Bill Inglot.