[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & the Supremes: Dreaming of a reunion tour

I'm so sad that Cindy cannot perform anymore, but here is my fantasy Diana Ross & the Supremes reunion tour line up and set list!

DIANA ROSS, MARY WILSON, & JEAN TERRELL

Jean would take Cindy's place, and stand in the "Cindy" spot for all the Diana led songs! Of course if cindy got better I would have her there.

***short intro video using my world is empty ***
    SEGMENT 1: THE BEGINNINGS
    Come See About Me [[Diana lead)
    Baby Love [[Diana lead)
    Where did Our Love Go [[Diana lead)
    Stop! In the Name of Love [[Diana lead)

--- interlude video using you are the heart of me ---

SEGMENT 2: THE EARLY SEVENTIES
    Stoned Love [[Jean lead)
    Floy Joy [[Jean lead feat Mary)
    Nathan Jones [[Jean lead)

--- interlude video using in and out of love ---

SEGMENT 3: THE MIDDLE YEARS
    The Happening [[Mary lead)
    You Can't Hurry Love [[Diana lead)
    Reflections [[Diana lead)
    Love is Here and Now You're Gone [[Jean lead)
    Love Child [[Diana lead)

--- interlude using living in shame ---

SEGMENT 4: THE LATE SEVENTIES & MORE ---
    He's My Man [[Mary lead)
    Early Morning Love [[Mary lead)
    Ooh Child [[Mary solo)

--- interlude using I'm coming out ---

SEGMENT 5: DIANA ROSS
    I'm Coming Out [[Diana solo)
    More Today than Yesterday [[Diana solo)
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Diana solo)
    Do You Know Where You're Going to [[Diana solo)

SEGMENT 6: DI & THE SUPREMES SAY GOODNIGHT
    Back in My Arms [[Diana lead)
    You Keep Me Hanging On [[Mary lead)
    Up the Ladder [[Jean lead)
    Someday We'll Be Together [[Diana lead)

Diana would have the most at 13 songs [[she probably wouldn't agree to not at least have the set list weigh heavily on her if she has to do back up for some of the other Supremes), with Mary and Jean both at 5!

Would that sound realistic? It might be too ideal and too good to be true and too long lol

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    I'm so sad that Cindy cannot perform anymore, but here is my fantasy Diana Ross & the Supremes reunion tour line up and set list!

Jean would take Cindy's place, and stand in the "Cindy" spot for all the Diana led songs! Of course if cindy got better I would have her there.

Baby Love [[Diana lead)

Stoned Love [[Jean lead)

Love Child [[Diana lead)

He's My Man [[Mary lead)
    Ooh Child [[Mary solo)

Diana would have the most at 13 songs [[she probably wouldn't agree to not at least have the set list weigh heavily on her if she has to do back up for some of the other Supremes), with Mary and Jean both at 5!

Would that sound realistic? It might be too ideal and too good to be true and too long lol
    A lovely thought, and a beautiful pipedream for us Supremes fans but as we all know it would never happen. Great set list though!!

she'd do backup? HA HA HA...sorry.. couldn't help it..

If we were, as fans, being realistic - I think the only hope would be these:

1. Mary coming to a Diana concert, prearranged to share the stage like Gloria Gaynor did - for some prearranged song.

2. A Jean, Lynda, Mary, Susaye, Scherrie, Diana prearranged get together on a Diana Stage.

But as several people who know allude too, there is quite a bit of bad blood and it doesn't all involve Diana & Mary. And I'm not sure Jean is "ready willing and able" to participate.

So, factually, it's probably where many of the Forum put it - amongst happy thoughts, dreams, dreams let go of, reflections of a thing that could have been

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If we were, as fans, being realistic - I think the only hope would be these:

1. Mary coming to a Diana concert, prearranged to share the stage like Gloria Gaynor did - for some prearranged song.

2. A Jean, Lynda, Mary, Susaye, Scherrie, Diana prearranged get together on a Diana Stage.

But as several people who know allude too, there is quite a bit of bad blood and it doesn't all involve Diana & Mary. And I'm not sure Jean is "ready willing and able" to participate.

So, factually, it's probably where many of the Forum put it - amongst happy thoughts, dreams, dreams let go of, reflections of a thing that could have been
    Oh no, who is Jean upset with?

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Oh no, who is Jean upset with?
    It is perhaps best not to answer that one for the sake of world peace imakicola!!

Had pondered this possibility for some time...After careful consideration, and I admittedly could be wrong about this, I believe the time has come and gone for a Supremes "reunion" based on current demographics and the aging of the "baby boomer" fans from the 60's and 70's. I recall seeing Tina Turner performing following her initial departure from the Ike & Tina Turner review. It was at a nice, but small club setting with three backup singer/dancers. This was before she burst back onto the scene like gangbusters with her What's Love Got To Do With It / Private Dancer era. I'm sure that an Ike & Tina Turner comeback effort would have sunk like the Titanic at that time, regardless of the material...As for the Supremes...and I say this with all due respect to the beautiful and talented Mary Wilson and Jean Terrell, etc...Diana Ross, who continued to record, perform and gain recognition as an internationally accepted diva, star, or whatever you want to call it, is still a bigger draw working solo than The Supremes would be except to only the most loyal fans from yesteryear, and Motown fans, which while wildly popular at their core, I learned from firsthand experience working with my Funk Brothers projects...those fans must be sought out, and are not waiting with baited breath for those old Motown projects...Like todays Temptations [[Motowns most popular male group) incarnations, The Supremes could absolutely find work at even up to mid range venues...I doubt they could draw the fans necessary who would pay the premium price for tickets at top flight venues like even Diana Ross herself could do up to recent years as a solo performer using her own brand...It's just that too many years have gone by, and this might have worked 15-20 years ago, but I doubt it would be the draw today that some hardcore fans believe it would. Final thought...Lets not forget that some of the 60's and 70's bands who HAVE been successful touring in recent years as high paid nostalgia reunions...The Rolling Stones, The Who, Earth Wind & Fire [[with Chicago), have never stopped touring since their most popular days, thus, have fans who look forward year to year for them to return to venues they've performed on a regular basis throughout the years versus someone like the Supremes who just re-appear out of the blue...Tough sell for what they'd likely personally require. Nice set listing though Imakikola...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 06-11-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Wise post Stu. Of course, it makes sense.

I will find the book or magazine, I have it somewhere, I will find it, where it's quoted that Jean said to Mary Wilson, "Just because you've been in The Supremes the longest, maybe you've been in The Supremes a little too long!".. I was like YIKES when I first saw that..really rude considering that Mary fought at the beginning to keep Jean when Gordy wanted to do the Syretta switch

and don't get me wrong, I loved Jean's work on Right On, New Ways and the Touch album.. I guess it's great as long as you don't have to actually talk to her.. maybe Gordy found this out at the beginning..and he was the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and don't get me wrong, I loved Jean's work on Right On, New Ways and the Touch album.. I guess it's great as long as you don't have to actually talk to her.. maybe Gordy found this out at the beginning..and he was the boss.
    Mary and Jean never have and never will get along. Sure they may have been photographed smiling together at various functions pretending all is well but the truth is a very different thing. Let us leave it at that unless someone else begins to rock the boat in which case we may have to come back to it. Hopefully not.

What an inspiring idea! I love the thought you put into the details. Realistic? LOL - I was going to ask what you were smoking, but still it's a groovy thought. If all three ladies were cool with each other, it would be a fun show, but, alas, I don't think Diana will ever associate with Mary again unless publicly forced, and Jean who is still let's say, not a fan of Mary, would only do it if her pocketbook demanded it, and she's OK with her life, so I just don't see it happening. I think Scherrie & Lynda would work with Mary, and maybe Susaye - I don't know her. Luckily, we can still enjoy Mary & Diana as solo acts. Mary keeps getting better and better we almost drove to see her again in Atlantic City. We are seeing "The-let's-See-How-Long-Diana-Ross-Can-Tour-With-the Same-Show-Show" in Cincinnati and Dayton for cheap. Those empty venues in Ohio for RTL are still empty for her today. We got front row on Stub Hub for 99.00 in Cincy and 3rd row in Dayton for 69.00 face value. Anyone who wants to see Ross and not invest a lot of money, they have slashed her tickets in both cities for as low as $16.00 and just like Mary, girlfriend has still got it! QUOTE=imakicola;336721]I'm so sad that Cindy cannot perform anymore, but here is my fantasy Diana Ross & the Supremes reunion tour line up and set list!

Baby Love [[Diana lead)

Stoned Love [[Jean lead)

Love Child [[Diana lead)

He's My Man [[Mary lead)
    Ooh Child [[Mary solo)

Would that sound realistic? It might be too ideal and too good to be true and too long lol[/QUOTE]

Miss Ross needs to get a new recording out there..do the thing with Nile Rogers already!!

I will find the book or magazine, I have it somewhere, I will find it, where it's quoted that Jean said to Mary Wilson, "Just because you've been in The Supremes the longest, maybe you've been in The Supremes a little too long!".. I was like YIKES when I first saw that..really rude considering that Mary fought at the beginning to keep Jean when Gordy wanted to do the Syretta switch
    This quote is in Tony Turner's ALL THAT GLITTERED.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This quote is in Tony Turner's ALL THAT GLITTERED.
    If you believe anything Tony Turner said.....well.....I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
    I believe he was on Soulful Detroit a number of years ago as Top Diva and OMG....THAT was an experience I'm still not over.

well from what I've heard about Jean's relationship with Mary, the quote sounds more and more believable

well from what I've heard about Jean's relationship with Mary, the quote sounds more and more believable
    I do not know this Tony Turner character so cannot vouch for his opinions, but i have my own very reliable sources who pretty much confirm what you say Jimi. Jean was a no go topic for Mary last year. That in itself speaks volumes.

I think what's really funny to me is that Jean & Lynda both wanted to leave Motown and the Supreme name behind to only start touring years later under that same banner.

I like the set list you put up the only thing I would add is a duet of Dian and Mary singing "My World Is Empty Without You and Someday We'll Be Together".