[REMOVE ADS]

Marv Johnson Question

For many years, I knew nothing of Marv's music. Then I heard "I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose" one night and fell in love with it. Now more recently, I bought the Motown Guys CD "One Track Mind" and without a doubt, his title cut on there was the standout track in my opinion.

So I am now giving some thought to ordering his collection that tracks his Motown output from 1964-1971. If I do, will I find some other songs that compare in quality to those two or am I likely to be disappointed?

I was going to list the tracks that I like, but it would take too long. You certainly won't be disappointed!

I would echo what Johnny said.

honest man Guest
    the Motown Anthology IS A MUST,Don't delay.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    For many years, I knew nothing of Marv's music. Then I heard "I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose" one night and fell in love with it. Now more recently, I bought the Motown Guys CD "One Track Mind" and without a doubt, his title cut on there was the standout track in my opinion.

So I am now giving some thought to ordering his collection that tracks his Motown output from 1964-1971. If I do, will I find some other songs that compare in quality to those two or am I likely to be disappointed?
    Marv also done some great songs with the excellent Bert Berns producing also his United Artists material -Gordy related.cheers

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Marv also done some great songs with the excellent Bert Berns producing also his United Artists material -Gordy related.cheers
    There are no Marv Johnson songs that are not top shelf. The Kent CD covers all of his Motown releases, but if you want to listen to his United Artists releases, try to locate "The Best of Marv Johnson, You Got What It Takes" issued in 1992. There are 24 songs included including the unreleased That's All I Want. Besides any of the other CDs mentioned in the thread, the only other missing MJ song is Sweet Georgia Brown and I had to buy the Collectables reissuance to get this one song as I could not locate it on another CD. My all time favorite is the I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose CD by Kent. I play it at least once a week. It is the most superb release Ace/Kent has issued.

...and that's certainly saying something, when fully considering the quality of releases from Ace/Kent.

The best place to buy them is from Ace/Kent direct...and another little gem arrived from them this morning.

It was bought out of sequence, and so a belated addition to the collection...

It is the 'One Track Mind : More Motown Guys' set...and already, IMO, the standout track is....'One Track Mind'...by Marv Johnson...

Marv Johnson was a great singer, performer and a great guy. "You Got What it Takes" is a favorite of mine.

The two standout tracks for me on "The Motown Anthology" are "I Wish I Liked You [[As Much As I Loved You)" and "She's All I Need [[In This World)". The album is definitely VFM.

Thanks Guys. You seem to have made it unanimous!