[REMOVE ADS]

Question for Diana Ross & Supremes "experts" recording history

As everyone has hopefully read the current situation at United Sound Systems studios in Detroit, I have a question for the experts.

Did Diana Ross & Supremes ever record at the United Sound Systems studio? I do not believe that they did, but in their early days there is no reason that they could not have. Does anyone have any knowledge of them ever being in the recording studio?

Any thoughts on this?

Not sure about the Supremes, but Marvin Gaye, Marv Johnson & Eddie Holland recorded at that studio.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Not sure about the Supremes, but Marvin Gaye, Marv Johnson & Eddie Holland recorded at that studio.
    Mary Wilson did some sessions on back up for John Lee Hooker.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary Wilson did some sessions on back up for John Lee Hooker.
    Marv2 - Do you remember this thread?

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...nd-Mary-Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    In one of the comments attached to the Detroit News story on this, an individual from Georgia made the comment that Gladys Knight recorded Midnight Train to Georgia at USS. I was unaware of this, but I cannot substantiate it. This was released in 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Marv2 - Do you remember this thread?

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...nd-Mary-Wilson
    Oh yeah, I remember it , but I was remembering Mary Wilson talking about it herself. Thanks theboyfromxtown.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    In one of the comments attached to the Detroit News story on this, an individual from Georgia made the comment that Gladys Knight recorded Midnight Train to Georgia at USS. I was unaware of this, but I cannot substantiate it. This was released in 1973.
    I believe I heard Gladys mention that not too long ago that they recorded some parts of that album there and they recorded Midnight Train to Georgia in a garage of all places! I kid you not. LOL!

In the days when New Musical Express used to put out annuals every Christmas, I bought one that had the headline...TAMLA MOTOWN RECORDS THE SUPREMES IN THE GENTS!

For those living across that big pond...the gents refers to the toilets/restroom.

lol

But only if you're male, of course.. otherwise, it's the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    But only if you're male, of course.. otherwise, it's the ladies.
    In America you can't be too sure anymore. LOL

A lot of the answers to the questions we have regarding recording sessions, tour schedules, photos etc etc were bulldozed away several years ago when the Donovan Building in Detroit was demolished. Many people, myself included, was amazed that so much material and valuable memorabilia was left in the building for decades after Motown had moved to Los Angles and most if is not lost to the winds.

In the days when New Musical Express used to put out annuals every Christmas, I bought one that had the headline...TAMLA MOTOWN RECORDS THE SUPREMES IN THE GENTS!

For those living across that big pond...the gents refers to the toilets/restroom.

lol
    I've seen pictures of Diana recording sitting next to the toilet in the studios on West Grand Blvd. When I took the tour of the building in '95, there was no mistaking the pic used was taken in the rest room just off the snake pit. I can't remember what song that it has been said that they used to toilet to get more echo on. The pic looked to me like it was the '64/'65 era and black and white.

A lot of the answers to the questions we have regarding recording sessions, tour schedules, photos etc etc were bulldozed away several years ago when the Donovan Building in Detroit was demolished. Many people, myself included, was amazed that so much material and valuable memorabilia was left in the building for decades after Motown had moved to Los Angles and most if is not lost to the winds.
    Unfortunately this is more than likely true. I was sad to see the Donovan Building torn down so quickly without a through check of the contents. I think that Mr. Gordy is under the assumption that most relevant files were transferred to LA or donated to either Eastern Michigan University or Wayne State University. I know that Berry's sister Esther was responsible for getting one of the University's to house archives that they could no longer keep.

I do remember hearing from one music historian that many of the detailed notes on Marvin Gaye's What's Going On were probably destroyed with the demolition. Supposedly those papers were among personal archives of Marvin & Anna Gaye which were stored in the Donovan Building. The historian tried locating some of these files but was never able to get access to the Donovan Building. I do believe that Mr. Gordy owned the building to the end and got a good price from the city of Detroit for the demolition.

The lack of will to remove those documents and other important artifacts from the Donovan Building falls squarely on the shoulders on Gordy and the Motown Museum. The museum opened in 1985 and Donovan Building was torn roughly 20 or so years later. During that time, no one took the bull by the horns to get everything out of there or at least check to see what was possibly still there? Who knows what was taken between the time Motown went to LA in 1972 and the time the building was knocked down. From a historian's standpoint, I just can't comprehend how these things were neglected for so many years.

Do you really think that......what we might call memorabilia..was of any real value to its owners when it was discarded?

When I talk to certain artists...they don't seem to have any of their original 45's, photographs, albums etc......they simply didn't place any kind of value on them and didn't think to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The lack of will to remove those documents and other important artifacts from the Donovan Building falls squarely on the shoulders on Gordy and the Motown Museum. The museum opened in 1985 and Donovan Building was torn roughly 20 or so years later. During that time, no one took the bull by the horns to get everything out of there or at least check to see what was possibly still there? Who knows what was taken between the time Motown went to LA in 1972 and the time the building was knocked down. From a historian's standpoint, I just can't comprehend how these things were neglected for so many years.
    Brad, the same thing happened when they tore down my elementary school, Glenwood Elementary. I was home that year and took pictures from all sides of the building. When they started the demolition, I was shocked to see that none of the furniture or books were removed. I could see whole bookcases in the rooms as the outside walls came down!

Do you really think that......what we might call memorabilia..was of any real value to its owners when it was discarded?

When I talk to certain artists...they don't seem to have any of their original 45's, photographs, albums etc......they simply didn't place any kind of value on them and didn't think to keep them.
    There were a few people that were able to scavenge some old photos, album covers etc from the ruins only to latter put them up for sale on Ebay. So much more was lost.

There were a few people that were able to scavenge some old photos, album covers etc from the ruins only to latter put them up for sale on Ebay. So much more was lost.
    There were some dealers that knew the value of the stuff that was left behind. They grabbed it all.....for years, you could buy virtually anything on places like ebay....minor stuff like blank headed letters, return envelopes and there were even used cheques!

There were some dealers that knew the value of the stuff that was left behind. They grabbed it all.....for years, you could buy virtually anything on places like ebay....minor stuff like blank headed letters, return envelopes and there were even used cheques!
    I remember there was this one auction house that was auctioning off The Supremes [[Mary, Cindy and Scherrie) "Tonight Show" appearance contract over the internet. It had all of their signatures along with their Social Security Numbers ! I contacted Mary immediately to have it taken down. LOL!

I[[