[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Tribute to Barbra Streisand

Mary Wilson performs "Here's to Life" at a Barbra Streisand tribute at the Rockwell in Los Feliz, CA on 4/24/2016. Happy birthday, Barbra!

Great performance by Mary. Now I see why she wasn't and the Flos anniversary show.

No one does it like Mary........!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No one does it like Mary........!
    Thanks for posting Marv!!!!! Mary is sounding great... the supreme Supreme.

Here is the complete performance including the dialog. Much better quality as well.

I far prefer to hear Mary tackle tunes such as this rather than the old Supremes songs which are totally unsuited to her voice. I have seen her live twice during the past 6 months and she got a better response when singing songs she could really get her teeth into as it were.

I absolutely love Mary Wilson's versions of her Supremes hits. She updates them. I especially love her singing "My World Is Empty Without You, Love Child, Come See About Me, Reflections Stoned Love and Someday We'll Be Together.

Bravo, Mary!

I would like for Mary to record a studio Jazz CD now.

I would like for Mary to record a studio Jazz CD now.
    that YouTube clip of Mary doing love child at Constitution Hall is absolutely superb. She also tears up Nathan Jones. And you are right, Reflections is another good one.
    I remember show in Lake Tahoe where she just totally nailed love child that was probably late 80s. I remember that we ran right into each other we are both coming around the corner on the hotel she's she was extremely gracious. there were some people from Detroit there in a couple of the pointer sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    that YouTube clip of Mary doing love child at Constitution Hall is absolutely superb. She also tears up Nathan Jones. And you are right, Reflections is another good one.
    I remember show in Lake Tahoe where she just totally nailed love child that was probably late 80s. I remember that we ran right into each other we are both coming around the corner on the hotel she's she was extremely gracious. there were some people from Detroit there in a couple of the pointer sisters.
    That is a great story DET, thanks for sharing. I will never forget seeing Mary sing "Reflections" back in 1984 at the Premier Center in Sterling Heights, MI on New Year's Eve. They had the lighting so that you just saw a silhouette of Mary and the drummer was pounding out licks to highlight certain words in the song. Mary was at the same time doing these gestures with her arms and hands that coincided with the drummer and the lyrics. It was surreal.

Exclamation

bbbbbbbbhhbnnnjjnjjjjnnjnnjjjq
    That is a great story DET, thanks for sharing. I will never forget seeing Mary sing "Reflections" back in 1984 at the Premier Center in Sterling Heights, MI on New Year's Eve. They had the lighting so that you just saw a silhouette of Mary and the drummer was pounding out licks to highlight certain words in the song. Mary was at the same time doing these gestures with her arms and hands that coincided with the drummer and the lyrics. It was surreal.
    thanks for the story that's the show where the ticket seller said there were no original Supremes performing!!!!! I saw the spinners there on that was just a fantastic show. was that the show where she shared the bill with Eddie Kendricks ?

Mary sounds great,Thanks Marv for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Mary sounds great,Thanks Marv for sharing
    You are very welcome! Long time, no see......

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I far prefer to hear Mary tackle tunes such as this rather than the old Supremes songs which are totally unsuited to her voice. I have seen her live twice during the past 6 months and she got a better response when singing songs she could really get her teeth into as it were.
    You would have loved her Detroit Symphony show. She naturally did Supremes songs, but incorporated more of these jazz/standards into the show. To hear this as well as "Body And Soul" with the full orchestra was phenomenal. The audience loved it.

Mary knows those Supremes songs were written with Diana's voice in mind and she'll admit her voice doesn't suit them, but she has to do them. She does, however, love doing the jazz/standards songs as she feels they best fit her voice.

bbbbbbbbhhbnnnjjnjjjjnnjnnjjjq thanks for the story that's the show where the ticket seller said there were no original Supremes performing!!!!! I saw the spinners there on that was just a fantastic show. was that the show where she shared the bill with Eddie Kendricks ?

Yes that was the show Eddie opened for her. That was also the show that David Ruffin attended and ended up on stage with Mary and Eddie and Mary's singers for the finale of Auld Lang Syne and Someday We'll Be Together.

DET, this is the performance you were referencing. From one of Mary's symphony concerts!

DET, this is the performance you were referencing. From one of Mary's symphony concerts!

That is it buddy!

That is it buddy!
    I remember seeing Mary in concert in Detroit around this time, 1993 and she was superb!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    You would have loved her Detroit Symphony show. She naturally did Supremes songs, but incorporated more of these jazz/standards into the show. To hear this as well as "Body And Soul" with the full orchestra was phenomenal. The audience loved it.

Mary knows those Supremes songs were written with Diana's voice in mind and she'll admit her voice doesn't suit them, but she has to do them. She does, however, love doing the jazz/standards songs as she feels they best fit her voice.
    I have little doubt i would bradsupremes. Mary told me back in January that she does not especially enjoy performing Supremes songs but realises it is these songs that keep her in steady work.I am left stone cold when she performs these tunes but when allowed to sing the old jazz standards she comes to life and i could listen to her sing these songs all night long. I really do hope she gets a chance to record an album.

Mary use to do that song "How Lucky Can You Get" which I believe Barbra Striesand first made famous: