[REMOVE ADS]

Former Ladies of the Supremes / Steve Weaver

Steve posted a few months ago that although he had just released four tracks by Scherrie, Lynda and Joyce on iTunes, four more would be issued to coincide with their 30th anniversary performance [[last weekend). Does anyone know more about this?

I was counting on this second release with prayers that Steve would be able to follow though. We waited so very long for the first four tracks.

Thanks you in advance to Steve.

I understand Steve has been sick, and I truly hope his health is improving. He has done a lot for Supremes fans over the years, and I certainly wish him well...

That said, I wish he'd just go ahead and put out the entire "Supremely Yours II" album - in CD Format! - rather than these piece-meal digital releases. I know putting out physical CD's is expensive, and once they are created, there has to be some place and mechanism to actually sell them. In this weird day and time when so much is digital and when record stores are so few and far between, I do understand many of the problems associated with artists issuing independent album projects on CD... BUT, it does happen, and independent releases can gain a lot of traction.

I immediately think of Marie Osmond's new release, "Music Is Medicine," on her own Oliveme Record label. She put it out there, promoted the heck out of it with radio interviews, Social media posts, and autograph signings in Walmarts and such stores, and it just debuted at #10 on the Billboard Country charts! Marie Osmond does not have a major label contract, yet she has just scored her first top ten album in 41 years! It can be done!

Another example is The Explorers Club, a great Beach Boys-influenced band out of Charleston SC. They have released three albums independently, and while they are far from reaching Gold status, their records [[CD's) sell enough to be profitable. Their latest album, "Together," comes out in June, but they began pre-selling it at the start of this year, again using social media platforms and so forth.

Other artists, well past their recording primes, keep finding labels to distribute their work. Rick Springfield is a good example; he keeps putting them out there, usually on a different label each go around, yet he finds a way to release his music. Darlene Love had a major label release back before Christmas, and country star Lorrie Morgan, who hasn't released new music for years, has TWO new albums out now, each on different small labels.

I don't understand it: How do artists like Ronnie Spector, who has just released her "English Heart" set, and The Three Degrees, with their "Strategy" album, get product out there, but The Former Ladies of The Supremes - the most successful female group EVER! - and Mary Wilson - THE original Supreme for many people! - cannot get their completed albums released. [[Whatever happened to Mary's "Life's Been Good To Me" set from a few years back? Then called "Clarity," it was promoted and written about in Billboard, Goldmine, and other magazines, but it never came out. Why?) Wouldn't it be better to get the product out there and make a few dollars on it than to sit on it and make absolutely nothing???

Is it all a matter of making the right connections? Is it desire to truly make something happen?
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 04-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.