[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Andantes

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Your "point" is moot! She could sing those old songs to herself in the bathtub and no one would care......LOL! Now if we were talking about a group reunion and she sang those same songs, folks might sit up and take notice more.

Yes of course you're right my darling; now you were saying, which of her contemporaries are enjoying the same success as they did during their heydey? No rush; we'll wait..

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    Yes of course you're right my darling; now you were saying, which of her contemporaries are enjoying the same success as they did during their heydey? No rush; we'll wait..
    Diana Ross is not experiencing the same success she did in her heydey which was well into the last century!

miss_lish Guest
    Diana Ross is not experiencing the same success she did in her heydey which was well into the last century!

The Andantes [[God Love 'em), were use for no more than instrumental purposes to achieve a sound for a particular song.

The telling point in your line here Marv is that if this is true for the Andantes, it is also true for the background Supremes - lord, you are saying Mary Wilson was there for "no more than instrumental" purposes; this must have been a seminal slip on your part!

I'm have a Piers Morgan type of shock here...........in 5 years of this fourm, I have never had such an admission.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The Andantes [[God Love 'em), were use for no more than instrumental purposes to achieve a sound for a particular song.

The telling point in your line here Marv is that if this is true for the Andantes, it is also true for the background Supremes - lord, you are saying Mary Wilson was there for "no more than instrumental" purposes; this must have been a seminal slip on your part!

I'm have a Piers Morgan type of shock here...........in 5 years of this fourm, I have never had such an admission.
    You evidently do not have EYES! Mary Wilson was hardly there just for instrumental purposes. Aside from her beautiful voice......she was the VISUAL attraction, the eye-candy for the guys when it came to TV , personal and photographic appearances!!! She did more than help to bring the songs to life with Cholly Atkins choreography. She was the glue that held the act together. The heart and soul of the Supremes as Berry Gordy put it.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-01-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Yes, of course, Marv2, but which stars from her era are enjoying the same type of success during their heyday? Which singer from her era are still popular the youth? Pop music culture is mostly for the young. We should strive to maintain realistic expectations.
    It is a New Year. You'd better learn to read for comprehension! This is my post that you responded to.....

True and no where near the number of people that grew up listening and buying Supremes music care or are interested in diana doing them alone now........

Your irrational response is as follows:

"Yes, of course, Marv2, but which stars from her era are enjoying the same type of success during their heyday? Which singer from her era are still popular the youth? Pop music culture is mostly for the young. We should strive to maintain realistic expectations."

Now show me anywhere where I am talking about stars from her era enjoying the same type of success during their heyday? Show me where I refer to still popular with the youth? Duh you can't! You so routinely make stuff up that I have supposedly said that you show a severe inability to read and comprehend English.

Now, I stand by what I said [[whether you understand it or not), there are no where near the number of people that grew up listening to and buying Supremes music that care or are interested in Diane doing them alone now. I await your patent Mary Wilson bashing response!

Happy New Year.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks soulballad-great info; Im wondering though what "small" gigs the Supremes did in 1967--they were at their peak--corporate stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Well, whenever I listen to records by THE FOUR TOPS from 1966/7 .. "Reach out", "Bernadette" etc. I can hear female voices doing part of the background vocals .. no doubt they are THE ANDANTES .. and its never made me think less of THE FOUR TOPS.
    Billboard had a picture in the heyday showing the Four Tops presenting the Andantes with gifts following a British tour. The caption stated that the Andantes added vocal harmony on the songs. Later reading that they sang background on the Four Tops records was not a surprise. The surprise was learning in the 90s that the Four Tops were singing background on My Baby Loves Me for Martha [Reeves] & the Vandellas.

topdiva1 Guest
    Just let it rest - and enjoy the music.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Well, whenever I listen to records by THE FOUR TOPS from 1966/7 .. "Reach out", "Bernadette" etc. I can hear female voices doing part of the background vocals .. no doubt they are THE ANDANTES .. and its never made me think less of THE FOUR TOPS.

Roger
    Yes, but the Andantes were not being used in place of the other Tops, they were additional voices on those records. On the other hand, they were used in place of The Supremes, the Vandellas, and the Marveletes [[and perhaps the Velvelettes as well?). One can take the view that it compromises the integrity of the group--their talent and their recordings.

smark21 Guest
    Perhaps Streisand as she was more of an album artist in the 60's, rarely having a hit single. And Paul McCartney can still fill an arena when he goes on tour. But yeah, for an oldies artist, Ross does very well--she certainly doesn't need to do the county fairs though it should be noted she can't get a prestigious theme park booking either.

miss_lish Guest
    It is a New Year. You'd better learn to read for comprehension! This is my post that you responded to.....

True and no where near the number of people that grew up listening and buying Supremes music care or are interested in diana doing them alone now........

Your irrational response is as follows:

"Yes, of course, Marv2, but which stars from her era are enjoying the same type of success during their heyday? Which singer from her era are still popular the youth? Pop music culture is mostly for the young. We should strive to maintain realistic expectations."

Now show me anywhere where I am talking about stars from her era enjoying the same type of success during their heyday? Show me where I refer to still popular with the youth? Duh you can't! You so routinely make stuff up that I have supposedly said that you show a severe inability to read and comprehend English.

Now, I stand by what I said [[whether you understand it or not), there are no where near the number of people that grew up listening to and buying Supremes music that care or are interested in Diane doing them alone now. I await your patent Mary Wilson bashing response!

Happy New Year.

Again, you are so right Marv2. After spending all these years on-line with you, one would think Miss Lish would no better to engage you in a debate. Your wit, intelligence, and grace consistently expose me to be the ignorant, tactless, lieing, and irrational boor that I am.

Now then, which star from Miss Ross's heydey is enjoying the same impact today as they did then? You've discussed everything else, but you've never answered Miss Lish's simple question. Care to comment my darling?

@ Smark, sorry dear, not even Babs is finding the same success she found in her youth. They are both legends; they have both made their marks.

Miss Lish,
    I have to agree with you, -----No one and absolutely no one from back in the day does it like Diana. I find it remarkable that she can still entertain me after all these years and the many times I have seen here. Its 2011 and I am glad Diana and Mary are still with us. I wish them the best of health and bring on the new year.

[QUOTE=miss_lish;26172]Again, you are so right Marv2. After spending all these years on-line with you, one would think Miss Lish would no better to engage you in a debate. Your wit, intelligence, and grace consistently expose me to be the ignorant, tactless, lieing, and irrational boor that I am.

You got that right!

Missed all of this.

Soul Ballad.......you've probably hit the nail on the head about both the Tammi Terrell book and the Andantes book. Both of them suffered from the same vagueness. There was almost a pervasive fear in them that if you asked more pointed questions about Mary Wilson, Valerie Simpson, or Tammi Terrell you might provoke a fan controversy and some real fear that Valerie did sing for Tammi or that Mary actually coached Marlene and Cindy behind Flo's back; and additionally, if you got a real on issue answer, there would be some penalty levied or some annoyed relatives or artists. Hence, the comments on here about the book being poor.

And of course, Skool Dem is right about the backgrounds. When I first found out that Mary and Cindy weren't on Love Child, I didn't believe it. When I read that the Merry Christmas album had no Supremes on it, I didn't want to believe it. I remember Andy saying "don't ask questions about this because you might not like the answers" and that the group effectively ended in 1967 and then Diana was on her own.

In the end, it doesn't matter much except to fanatical fans. No one totally knows anymore who is behind Diana. Andantes got dubbed over Supremes and vice versa. It's all good. And an image was made to go with Diana's sound and the image was Diana with Flo, Mary and Cindy behind her.

Regarding "You Can't Hurry Love" and who is on the background vocals, listen to "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart." Background vocals for both tracks were recorded the same day - July 5, 1966. I don't hear Florence on either song.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks soulballad-great info; Im wondering though what "small" gigs the Supremes did in 1967--they were at their peak--corporate stuff?
    The Supremes still did small gigs throughout the 60's and beyond. They may not have toured the "chitlin circuit" but hey still were paying dues. Thinking otherwise is all a part of that fantasy, perfect image that was created. We have to look at their situation with the worlds eyes of the 60's, things were still a little more realistic then when it came to celebrity though things were begiining to change in the late 60's. This was 1967 and these were three black women from a black owned label, they still had to constantly work hard and it wasn't always at the Copa or Coconut Grove.
    Last edited by soulballad; 01-02-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Missed all of this.

Soul Ballad.......you've probably hit the nail on the head about both the Tammi Terrell book and the Andantes book. Both of them suffered from the same vagueness. There was almost a pervasive fear in them that if you asked more pointed questions about Mary Wilson, Valerie Simpson, or Tammi Terrell you might provoke a fan controversy and some real fear that Valerie did sing for Tammi or that Mary actually coached Marlene and Cindy behind Flo's back; and additionally, if you got a real on issue answer, there would be some penalty levied or some annoyed relatives or artists. Hence, the comments on here about the book being poor.

And of course, Skool Dem is right about the backgrounds. When I first found out that Mary and Cindy weren't on Love Child, I didn't believe it. When I read that the Merry Christmas album had no Supremes on it, I didn't want to believe it. I remember Andy saying "don't ask questions about this because you might not like the answers" and that the group effectively ended in 1967 and then Diana was on her own.

In the end, it doesn't matter much except to fanatical fans. No one totally knows anymore who is behind Diana. Andantes got dubbed over Supremes and vice versa. It's all good. And an image was made to go with Diana's sound and the image was Diana with Flo, Mary and Cindy behind her.
    Thanks again jobeterob,

The issue for me is the the pettiness and immaturity that a lot of the fanatics display on these boards without any real substance. One example is the need to keep pointing out that Florence didn't record the first version of "You Cant Hurry Love" completely over looking the fact that this was ONE song in thousands. How about the songs were she and Mary DID sing on. It's like taking something small and making it a bigger deal just to stir up s--t and bad feelings, and this craziness is not really aimed at the Supreme it aimed to cut down the fan of that Supreme and to prove how insignificant Flo and Mary and Cindy were because they were way behind Diana Ross. The truth is the fans bought those songs because they were fans of Diana, Florence and Mary, the trio that broke into the hearts of all America with their high media exposure. Diana Ross didn't do this alone, they were there with her. Internally the group might not have existed after 1967 but Berry and Motown made sure the public thought they did, otherwise the records would have read DIANA ROSS and she would have been on stage and on TV alone. Now think for a minute if it really didn't matter who was on the songs or who stood with Diana on stage and on the shows , don't you think she would have been introduced as a solo artist long before 1970. I'm not anti Diana Ross or anti any Supreme but a lot of what's being said is not in perspective and is coming from either a glossy eyed fanatic or a person that is just trying to stir up s--t!

The only thing I will add to the above comments is that when it became Diana Ross and ........... I asked myself as a fan is Diana Ross still a Supreme ? I even asked myself the same thing about Gladys Knight [[was she a PIP ?). That being said is what as a fan I saw about the group. I will also have to add that it was probably 1966 that it became more of two attractions on stage not 1967. It was all good for me because I loved them all.

Now, I am going to have to start another Thread because I am dying to know who is singing behind Bobby Taylor or was it the Andantes ?

I love the book. Yes, also somehow disappointed because of the lack of gossip and so on. But, as in "Secrets Of A Sparrow", it's not about the gossip and events that happened 40 years ago.

The thing I got out of the book was a lesson in letting go, forgiveness and survival. It helped me through some difficult times.

Yes, I wrote something that ended up in the book [[fan from the Netherlands) and since then Vicky and I are in contact. Lovely spirit and beatiful woman, as all the Andantes.

topdiva1 Guest
    When fans get the truth - or - the story they do not want they lose it.

So The Andantes played it safe, can you blame them. We tend to drag writers through the mud who go outside the fairy tale story box.

Likely they followed the advice that Tony Turner did not take - "...when the legend conflicts with the truth, print the legend".

miss_lish Guest
    This is SupremesNation my darling; to quote Tony Turner: "It's a must!"

smark21 Guest
    How can anyone say the group didn't exist after 1967? They were still giving live performances as a group. Money was still being split three ways. Sure they may have been recording the leads and backgrounds at separate times and The Andantes were used as subs for many studio recordings, but not all studio recordings. Sure Diana was being spotlighted and pushed out front, but there are many performances in which Mary and Cindy did more than just serve as decorations. Listen to some of the songs on Farewell or watch the Fats Waller or Irving Berlin medleys from Ed Sullivan. Those are group efforts, not a soloist.

Well, I am glad The Andantes got a chance to tell their story....kind of like unsung heroes and they were part of "The Sound Of Young America", "The Motown Sound" along with the Funk Brothers and HDH. This will never happen again in my lifetime. At least not as long as Star Search is on TV.

Heh Heh......so glad I got you all talking about this. Yes, I agree with most of your comments, but as topdiva1 says..they were the best, and aint we better for it. So glad I got this as a Christmas present, and yes, It could, SHOULD, have said a lot more, and gone into more detail,BUT, it is what it is, and it is a GREAT addition to my Motown library...Peace and Love...Paulo XXX

I got this as a Christmas present, and am so pleased to add it to my Motown book library. I agree with all the comments above, but lets put things in perspective. The Andantes, like the Funk Brothers, are THE MOTOWN SOUND. Yes, I would have loved more details. but, this book is what it is, a History, without the crap, gossip, nastiness written in other Motown bios, as much as we might or wish it might be. It was also nice to read that they LOVED working with Wanda Young Rogers of THE MARVELETTES, when so much negative things have been written about her since her illness. Anyway, glad I got people talking..Peace and love..Paulo xxxxxxx

Souilballad=just asking a question-where? Didnt say they didnt. They had been voted number one group in world ahead of Beatles by Playboy magazine. Just curious. I remember reading that they sometimes tried out a new show in a small place.

Thank you, topdiva1....they were the best. Listening to THE MARVELETTES When Your Young & In Love now......says it all..Paulo XXXX

topdiva1 Guest
    This is SupremesNation my darling; to quote Tony Turner: "It's a must!"

Indeed it is - "...it's a must" - you are so right. I am hopeful that this year will bring us new Supreme things to chat about.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Thank you, topdiva1....they were the best. Listening to THE MARVELETTES When Your Young & In Love now......says it all..Paulo XXXX

Yes Paulo - When your Young and In Love - that truly says it all. Vocally and spiritually.