[REMOVE ADS]

Salute to the Motown horns!

Some of you may have heard this before, but there's a superb 7-minute audio on youtube featuring five Motown backing tracks where the horns/brass in particular show just how great they were filling out those backgrounds. The tracks are:

1 Since I lost you girl
    2 Crying in the night
    3 Poor little rich girl
    4 Give in, you just can't win
    5 My dear Heart [[who are the vocals by on this?)

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqTH_DKsHM

Very interesting Soulwally ..

Presumably that means that the Funks played on "My Dear Heart" by SHAWN ROBINSON in one of their moonlighting sessions?

I noticed a while back that "My Dear Heart" was published by Myto music, which I always associate with EDWIN STARR and Ric-Tic.

This is the SHAWN ROBINSON version, I'm not sure about the label scan used on the video, I think its a "reissue" label, other label scans I've seen of it are always on Minit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAvxhtRIvwg

Roger

Hello all ..

Well, it seems that someone has posted on you-tube a version of "My Dear Heart" by BARBARA MERCER. I've just been made aware of this "off forum" by Grapevine. So this must be the moonlighting FUNK BROTHERS doing the backing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGM--GFUKXc

Presumably this version never got released .. and the songwriter/producer later used the same backing for the version on Minit by SHAWN ROBINSON?

Roger

Roger

That version is a bit tinny. It can sound a whole lot better and VERY Detroit.

Do you prefer the Barbara Mercer version?

BTW, do you get Grape's Saturday Sounds?
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 01-16-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Hi boyfromxtown ..

Yes I do get Mr Grape's "Saturday Sounds" .. its what sparked the revival of this thread

I think I prefer the SHAWN ROBINSON version, after having heard the BARBARA MERCER version a half dozen times. The start of Barbara's version sounds very hesitant and somewhat off-key .. Shawn's version gets going from the off.

Roger

OK....I need to find that other version but it might only be on cassette!

[[No problem he says...hahahaha)