[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Hitsville USA

Hitsville USA

Although labelled another collection of 16 big Tamla Motown hits, this UK compilation was technically the first as 16 Big Hits [[volume 1) consisted of sides issued on the Stateside label.

Hitsville USA nevertheless formed Volume 2 of the UK series though several of the tracks were featured again when the UK briefly almost synchronised with the US versions for volumes 4 and 5.

None of the UK series has seen release on CD aside from the said volumes 4 and 5 as imports from the USA.

The photos were used again for the Motown Magic album. I think these album covers are very effective. Released only in mono. The music speaks for itself. "Since I Lost My Baby" would probably be my favourite track.

Attachment 11235

mysterysinger
    great shot of this iconic UK album.
    I remember borrowing this LP from my school Art teacher!

I've actually got this cover, together with Motown Magic , already in CD form, so that ONE day I'll compile the LPs as CD.
    Of course I've got these tracks many,many times over.....but the covers....well.
    Tommy Good is on here too

I've got the similar-looking album called Motown Magic, which uses the same photo-montage as a backdrop. But who is pictured? Some I can clearly identify - Marvin, the Supremes, the Temps, Brenda and Kim, the Marvelettes. But who is/are:
    - the group of white lads above the "Nothing But Heartaches" banner?
    - the singer masked by the "Since I Lost My Baby" banner?
    - the singer at the right end of the "I'll be Doggone" banner - it it Martha?
    - the group in the bottom left corner, behind the "Stop!" banner? The Contours? Spinners?

I guess these collections were superceded by the Chartbusters series - of which, my favourite is Vol 3.
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 04-08-2016 at 05:41 AM.

Variations on a theme
    Attachment 11236
    Attachment 11237