[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Anthology LP Booklets

Hi all,
    I remember the Temptations Anthology on vinyl came with a booklet. Did any of the other anthology albums come with a booklet as well?

lockhartgary

I think all of them did

The Marvelettes' did not have a booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hi all,
    I remember the Temptations Anthology on vinyl came with a booklet. Did any of the other anthology albums come with a booklet as well?

lockhartgary
    Yes most of them did. I don't think the Marvelettes came with one.

Diana Ross & The Supremes had, predictably, quite a splashy one. Diana's solo Anthology, however, did not feature one, although the gatefold had amazing photos.
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-06-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Some fans found it hard to forgive Motown for not including a booklet on The Marvelettes. I was one of them!

Me, too!

And you're still finding it hard to forgive Motown for never releasing any album AT ALL on the Velvelettes, aren't you....

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hi all,

lockhartgary
    With the exception of The Marvelettes, The Jackson 5* & Diana Ross, all of the albums in the "Anthology" series had a booklet. *The Jackson 5's Anthology had a booklet for it's 1986 CD reissue.

I don't think the Commodores and Grover Washington's anthologies had booklets either.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Me, too!

And you're still finding it hard to forgive Motown for never releasing any album AT ALL on the Velvelettes, aren't you....

You really know how to hurt a guy WGB! Right where it hurts.

Just telling the truth, and am on your side [[it's the people on the opposing side who can be hurtful)

There must be many more of us who have thought all these years that The Velvelettes should have had an album release back in the day.

Mind you, the people who compiled and produced their later 2-disc Anthology CD [[and excellent booklet) should be congratulated

Just telling the truth, and am on your side [[it's the people on the opposing side who can be hurtful)

There must be many more of us who have thought all these years that The Velvelettes should have had an album release back in the day.

Mind you, the people who compiled and produced their later 2-disc Anthology CD [[and excellent booklet) should be congratulated
    That was Cal....I only did what I was told!

Well, it's a fact that you're both named in the booklet....and her name in print is the same size as yours [[even if I do struggle to read print that small these days.......)

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I think all of them did
    Just checked my Motown Anthology's, only the double UK releases have booklets, Martha and the Vandellas hasn't.
    I also have an Undisputed Truth Anthology [[French pressing) that hasn't a booklet but it did have a 12" single of 'You + Me = Love' inside the gatefold which I must have put there in the '70s and totally forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    only the double UK releases have booklets, Martha and the Vandellas hasn't.
    The US version has one, 8 pages of beautiful pictures. As said above it's a great shame the Marvelettes didn't have one !

I love the inside cover for The Marvelettes Anthology.

I guess a booklet giving a brief history and allowing for more pictures of the group certainly would have been welcome. However, what they did was very creative and fun. I love looking at it. I was disappointed that the CD booklet for the Forever More Box Set didn't include this great inner cover.

By comparison, it appears little effort went into the Jackson 5 Anthology which had just a few small pictures.

Include me as someone who is annoyed that Motown did not give us a Velvelettes album in the 60s, or at the very least by 1970. But when you think of it we never got albums from Kim Weston, or a second album from Brenda Holloway. Not even Greatest Hits Vol 2 from either Martha & the Vandellas or The Marvelettes. They seemed to only want to promote their current artists and catalogue and ignore their back catalogue and heritage artists. Thankfully, by 1975 someone decided to do this Anthology series - too bad it was only for their top tier artists.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-08-2016 at 10:29 AM.

We certainly did get a Greatest Hits Vol 2 from Martha Reeves and the Vandellas in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    We certainly did get a Greatest Hits Vol 2 from Martha Reeves and the Vandellas in the UK!
    I don't think I ever saw that before, the album or the picture. Looks great.

What was the track listing?

I have their first UK GH on CD, that was given to me by a friend when he returned from a visit there.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-08-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Hi there. It was released in March 1973, probably because of the success of Forget Me Not and Bless you, plus other re-releases of Dancing in the Street, and Jimmy Mack.

Tracklist
    Jimmy Mack
    Honey Chile
    I Gotta Let You Go
    Love Bug
    Third Finger, Left Hand
    I should Be Proud
    Your Love Makes it all Worthwhile
    I Promise to Wait My Love
    I Can't Dance
    Sweet Darlin'
    Honey Love
    Bless You
    I Tried
    In and Out of my Life
    Forget Me Not
    What Am I Going To Do Without Your Love

Full details are at: https://www.discogs.com/Martha-Reeve...elease/2909506

Thanks, sharpmoves, for the info and the link...I always forget about discogs.com

How interesting! I only recently learned about the volume 1 and now to find out there was a second one! Wow! Glad to see that I Tried was included. I thought that was a cool song and the 45 with I Can't Dance was a great two sides.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Wow so good to see that image ,my elder brother bought the tape of this and i used to play when he was not around being 13 at the time i had no respect how to treat these gems, i used to place it back with his stash of Motown records before he got home,great memories,cheers.

I am amazed to learn that this was never released Stateside! It does go to show that the Vandellas always had a special following here in the UK. The image shows them in costumes they wore on their 1971 UK tour. This is one of the few such images in colour. They look absolutely stunning IMO. There is an image of the reverse of the album cover [[which was not in colour) here http://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/stml11223

I remember Martha saying on the tour "well, if the music doesn't get them going, maybe the costumes will..."

I remember Martha saying on the tour "well, if the music doesn't get them going, maybe the costumes will..."
    Weren't Sandy and Lois stunning on that tour? Did you see them all wearing gleaming white dresses, split to the thigh, and trimmed with rhinestones? Absolutely epic visually. But musically they impressed the critics too, and surprised them by being so accomplished and vocally innovative.

Yes, I did. They wore those costumes for the Bournemouth show. I remember there were two ladies sat a few rows in front of us wearing similar gowns, and occasionally using the same arm movements.

I also remember thinking that Lois and Sandy were less soprano, more huskier voiced - and feeling how graceful they were, as they used expansive, much wider sweeps of their arms, and deeper 'dips' at their knees- in contrast to Roz and Annette/Betty, with their own expert but tighter, 'chop' arm movements and choreography.

ML&S came on stage to open the show, taking no prisoners, especially as someone had cued the show to start before many people were settled in their seats.

As they finished 'Heat Wave', the opener, they turned their backs to the audience, and threw their arms in the air, as on the 'Heat Wave' album cover. People were still taking their seats, so Martha looked over her left shoulder, clearly feeling more response was deserved and made her own presence felt in the theatre by calling goodnaturedly but firmly "Folks....???!!"....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-09-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Yes, I did. They wore those costumes for the Bournemouth show. I remember there were two ladies sat a few rows in front of us wearing similar gowns, and occasionally using the same arm movements.

I also remember thinking that Lois and Sandy were less soprano, more huskier voiced - and feeling how graceful they were, as they used expansive, much wider sweeps of their arms, and deeper 'dips' at their knees- in contrast to Roz and Annette/Betty, with their own expert but tighter, 'chop' arm movements and choreography.

ML&S came on stage to open the show, taking no prisoners, especially as someone had cued the show to start before many people were settled in their seats.

As they finished 'Heat Wave', the opener, they turned their backs to the audience, and threw their arms in the air, as on the 'Heat Wave' album cover. People were still taking their seats, so Martha looked over her left shoulder, clearly feeling more response was deserved and made her own presence felt in the theatre by calling goodnaturedly but firmly "Folks....???!!"....
    That's an amazing memory WGB! They did two shows a night on that tour, and you must have been at the second because I was at the first show and there was no such problem. We were all in our seats, the house darkened, curtains opened and on came M, R and S relaxed and smiling, and sashayed straight into "Something".. I was front row, centre looking straight up at Lois. Martha made eye-contact with me several times during the show, probably because I was being very enthusiastic. As they ended her set, she winked at me as she took a final bow! What a moment. I hung around outside the stage door through the second show, and finally they came out one by one to the waiting coach, and signed my copy of Narural Resources on the way! It was quite a night. Strange to think you were in the building at the same time.

Sharpmoves...

I do have more of a 'snapshot' memory than a totally inclusive recall, so sometimes have to gather the 'snapshots' together to make 'an album of memories'.

It was Bournemouth Winter Gardens, 1971, with Martha Reeves & The Vandellas performing the first half, as support for Stevie Wonder.

I could walk right now to the spot where the theatre stood, and where I also saw Diana Ross, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & The Pips and more, before it was demolished.

I did indeed attend the second house, while you were apparently hovering outside, in great hope. Really glad to hear your dedication paid off! I would have been too shy, LOL.

If there's a chance of seeing an image of your signed copy of 'Natural Resources', it would be very interesting.

And I believe you are quite right - M, L & S opened their act, and the show, with 'Something', but everything else I believe I have recalled accurately.

It was distracting to have the show open before everyone was settled in their seats. It's funny how things get in your mind. Maybe it's because of that memory, but I've also thought it best when Martha starts her act with one of her faster-paced songs, then goes into another in similar pace, and then takes it on from there.

'Something', being a more leisurely paced song and then played to an audience which wasn't fully ready to receive it just at that time, and at that particular performance, is probably why I first remembered the effect before the actual song. The ladies, of course, soon pulled it all together very quickly, were received enthusiastically, and returned at the end of the show to join Stevie and his band on stage.

I still have my vinyl copy of 'Greatest Hits Volume 2', and the inner sleeve still has attached a large publicity photo of the group [[Martha, Lois and Sandy). The photo on the reverse of the album cover was, I think, taken when Martha and the girls were here in the UK to promote 'Forget Me Not' earlier in 1971, and I believe Martha was pregnant at the time, with her son Eric - ?

And returning to the subject of the thread, I was really pleased to see the MR&V Anthology in HMV a few years later, and to find it had a beautiful booklet. Which I still have. Of course.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 04-09-2016 at 01:33 PM.

So interesting. We must have been at the same concerts more than once. I also saw the Temps, Gladys Knight and the Pips, and the Supremes, at the Winter Gardens. I also remember going to the Gaumont in Southampton for the Four Tops. It's so sad to see what's happened to the WG, though. I was there last September, and felt something really special had been lost. The new BIC is hideous IMO, and that whole area has lost some of its magic. Alas, I didn't get MR&TV's Anthology album, being an impoverished student by that time, so have never seen the lavish booklet. Nor did my copy of Hits Vol 2 have a publicity photo insert - probably nicked by the record store! But I do still have my signed copy of Natural Resources, which I will photo and post IDC. I think the photo on the reverse of Greatest Hits Vol 2 was taken in 1970 when MR&TV were in London for the Motown 10th Anniversary celebrations. Martha must have been pregnant, as her son eric was born that year. Dancing in the Street had hit in 1969, and if I remember rightly, a re-release of Jimmy Mack charted afterwards, but before Forget Me Not. They were on a bit of a roll again, at least here. After their show at the WG, Martha seemed a bit scratchy, and initially refused to sign. She got on the coach, then clearly calmed down and had second thoughts. I can still see her beaming smile as she indicated to me to pass the record sleeve in through the door of the coach, which I did, and she duly signed it. After that I recall lots of mega-watt Motown smiles and waving. It was a real moment.

My original home town was Lymington, and I was living there in those years, which was convenient, as it is situated midway between Bournemouth and Southampton. I also saw the Four Tops there at the Gaumont [[in its days of being both cinema and concert hall- now 'The Mayflower'), also Stevie Wonder, in addition to other concerts.

Do you remember the Four Tops concert [[in Bournemouth?) where the management stopped the show early, when everybody crowded down to the stage? Great show, but frustrating not to be first given the chance to return to our seats.

I still miss the Winter Gardens. The Pavilion is still good for shows, but increasingly needs a facelift. I avoided the BIC for a long time, but have now become used to it [[unlike the dreaded ugly IMAX cinema on the seafront near the Pier Approach, now thankfully demolished) and it is a blast at the Jools Holland concert each year in December. If you've never caught him and his R&B Orchestra 'live', make the effort - the talent and musical artistry is just tremendous. Jools is manic and just never seems to stop hammering that keyboard, and Ruby Turner brings the roof down. Our own world-renowned Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra won't appear at the BIC, as they feel the acoustics are not the most suitable for their type of music, so they either play at the Pavilion, or at the Lighthouse, a few miles along in our neighbouring town of Poole.

You should be able to pick up a copy of MR&TVs Anthology, complete with booklet. It has 'only' 8 pages, but included, at that time, many photos which I had not previously seen.

The publicity photo [[Martha sat, her hands cupped under her chin, while resting her arms on her elbows, and with Lois and Sandy stood either side) was stuck to the inner sleeve of 'Greatest Hits Vol 2' by me! If memory serves me well, the b&w pic came to me via Sharon Davis, during the 'Motown Ad Astra' days.

I always felt Martha was an uneven live performer.

I remember seeing Martha Reeves and the Vandellas when I was in high school. It must have been one of their last tours, as I think it was in 1970 after "Natural Resources" came out. The concert was at Olympia Stadium in Detroit, which also in those days served as the home of the Detroit Red Wings [[hockey team). The ice rink was covered by some type of retractable flooring. The audience wasn't responding much to the group and at one point, Martha said "Look, I know it's cold out there on that ice but you don't have to be that cold to us!" I was surprised to hear a performer berate the audience about their lack of participation in the show.

I saw her a year or 2 later when she was solo, and at that time the audience was entirely with her, and instead of capitalizing on it, she sat down on a stool, essentially halting the concert, and chatted with the audience for 10 minutes or so. Kind of odd to me to break the momentum and just sit and talk.
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-13-2016 at 02:16 PM.