[REMOVE ADS]

New Classic Motown Website

Hi there,

I've recently been working on revamping the Classic Motown website [[http://classic.motown.com/) and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the new site.

It's been completely re-designed and we've added lots of new features including an interactive timeline, a wealth of videos and curated playlists. Please take a look and I would be very interested to hear people's thoughts, hear what you like or dislike or if there is anything we can improve on.

Thanks for your time!

Good morning, Hitsville_Jazza...

Welcome to Soulful Detroit!

I've just briefly checked out the Classic Motown website. That's a lot of work there, I'll give it more time when I can, and it's looking good

Could I quietly mention something to you regarding the Earl Van Dyke '6 By 6' video clip.

The audio version used there is actually a re-recording from the late 1980s, and not the original 1966 release on Soul S 35028, Earl Van Dyke & The Motown Brass.

Maybe you could check it out for yourself, and replace it with the authentic version?

Agree, that version of 6 by 6 doesn't appear to be a Motown recording. Thanks for the re-vamp though.

are there plans to release physical product again?

I glanced it and saw one mistake and never thought anything further of it.

But I've noticed on Facebook, people talking to Andy and referring to "so many mistakes". He said that any mistakes need to be brought to Universals attention.

Maybe I'll go back and look and see what I see.

Adam. It's a pity that there is no mention of Georgia Dobbins being replaced by Wanda Young before ‘Postman’ was recorded! Wanda only appears at the end of the essay, almost like an afterthought! The song writing credits for ‘Postman’ are also incorrect!

'Third Finger Left Hand' wasn't on 'Watchout'.

Trouble is when an official site such as this can’t get the facts right what hope is there?

For the Supremes page, it doesn't even mention Barbara Martin. It should be noted on the page Barbara replaced Betty in the Primettes in 1960 and signed to Motown as a member of the Supremes with Diana, Mary, and Flo on January 15, 1961. She recorded and performed with the group until leaving due to her pregnancy in 1962 then leaving the group a trio.

The 70's Supremes deserve more than just one paragraph. I would certainly expand on the hits and time Jean Terrell was with the group. I would then discuss the final years of the group.

On the Vandellas page, there is no mention of Betty Kelly replacing Annette Beard in 1964, Lois Reeves replacing Betty Kelly in 1967 and Sandra Tilley replacing Rosalind Ashford in 1969.

It would also be great to see a list of group members and their time with the group. A full discography would also be a great addition for all artists.

It also says. Diana Ross joined the Primes as opposed to the Primettes.

Probably done by a 25 year old who has a basic knowledge of Motown, a better knowledge of the big hit makers and little knowledge of anyone else.

It seems to me that somewhere on there they forgot that the Marvelettes had Motowns first number 1 pop hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It also says. Diana Ross joined the Primes as opposed to the Primettes.

Probably done by a 25 year old who has a basic knowledge of Motown, a better knowledge of the big hit makers and little knowledge of anyone else.

It seems to me that somewhere on there they forgot that the Marvelettes had Motowns first number 1 pop hit.
    I did not spend a lot of time exploring it because of the press of other matters, however, I did a search on Marv Johnson and came up blank. He was the first artist for the Tamla label. His "You've Got What It Takes" was the first Berry Gordy production to reach the Top 10. How could he be overlooked?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I did not spend a lot of time exploring it because of the press of other matters, however, I did a search on Marv Johnson and came up blank. He was the first artist for the Tamla label. His "You've Got What It Takes" was the first Berry Gordy production to reach the Top 10. How could he be overlooked?
    Absolutely! Marv Johnson, Chris Clark, Tammi Terrell, Shorty Long, Barbara McNair, Billy Eckstein, the Velvelettes, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, etc. should all have a page. And how could they forget the Funk Brothers and the Andantes.

I would even devote pages to the songwriters and producers.

The site is a 'Work In Progress'. So get it right Adam & co.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    For the Supremes page, it doesn't even mention Barbara Martin. It should be noted on the page Barbara replaced Betty in the Primettes in 1960 and signed to Motown as a member of the Supremes with Diana, Mary, and Flo on January 15, 1961. She recorded and performed with the group until leaving due to her pregnancy in 1962 then leaving the group a trio.

The 70's Supremes deserve more than just one paragraph. I would certainly expand on the hits and time Jean Terrell was with the group. I would then discuss the final years of the group.

On the Vandellas page, there is no mention of Betty Kelly replacing Annette Beard in 1964, Lois Reeves replacing Betty Kelly in 1967 and Sandra Tilley replacing Rosalind Ashford in 1969.

It would also be great to see a list of group members and their time with the group. A full discography would also be a great addition for all artists.
    I would also expand on the Supremes discography; I see no mention of "Reflections", "Funny Girl", "Let the Sun Shine In", "Cream of the Crop", "Live at London's TotT", any of the Temptations duet albums, or "Dynamite" with the Four Tops.

One suggestion also: since many of the fans, IMO, consider the 60's Supremes to be a different entity of the 70's Supremes, I'd welcome 2 entries for this group. As mentioned, there certainly is a lot more history with the "new" Supremes than one paragraph.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Really appreciate you taking some time to explore the new site and I hope you enjoyed the experience.

I will definitely make sure some of the mistakes you have flagged up get fixed as soon as possible, so I appreciate all your detailed knowledge.

Please also note that we haven't uploaded all the artist pages yet, but these will be coming very soon as we hope to make this a regular weekly update.

Please keep all your feedback coming as I will definitely try and take it all on board. Thanks!

Hitsville ~ if you are "the guy" on this page, good for you for making the effort to do the page and to find out.

We all started somewhere. The trouble for the rest of us is "how long ago we started" lol

I believe that it's being done in the UK with Adam White in charge. Apologies if I am wrong.

Thanks, I hope you like it!

The website has been a team effort from the UK & US and Adam White has certainly been involved in this project too.

If any of you get another chance to look around the site, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the interactive timeline within the History section. Please keep the feedback coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsville_Jazza View Post
    If any of you get another chance to look around the site, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the interactive timeline within the History section. Please keep the feedback coming!
    If I may critique:

On August 15, 1965, "Brenda Opens For the Beatles": the "further reading" section makes no mention of the event itself. It would be wonderful if her set list was provided [[if available?) or any other information pertinent to this historical event.

As is: "The Beatles’ love of Motown originates in 1960, when they add Barrett Strong’s “Money [[That’s What I Want)” to their stage act. Years later, they speak admiringly of the music of the Miracles, Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells, record three Motown copyrights for their second album, and, in 1964, invite Mary to join their U.K. fall tour." talks more about other Motown artists, especially Mary Wells, than Brenda.

Brenda would be a wonderful resource for expanding on this.

Just my two cents.

Hitsville: I'd go round up some of the Motown books and read them in your evenings ~ especially any with Discographies

There are some older Motown books with sections on many of the lesser known artists.

That will help you with your artist pages.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    If I may critique:

On August 15, 1965, "Brenda Opens For the Beatles": the "further reading" section makes no mention of the event itself. It would be wonderful if her set list was provided [[if available?) or any other information pertinent to this historical event.

As is: "The Beatles’ love of Motown originates in 1960, when they add Barrett Strong’s “Money [[That’s What I Want)” to their stage act. Years later, they speak admiringly of the music of the Miracles, Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells, record three Motown copyrights for their second album, and, in 1964, invite Mary to join their U.K. fall tour." talks more about other Motown artists, especially Mary Wells, than Brenda.

Brenda would be a wonderful resource for expanding on this.

Just my two cents.
    A bad quality clip of Brenda Holloway singing "I Can't Hep Myself" at Shea Stadium is up on YouTube.

Hitsville_Jazza I sent you a PM..

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate your help.

I have corrected some mistakes some of you have spotted, so thanks for pointing these out. Please let me know if you spot any more.

Also, please keep the feedback coming or feel free to let me know what you would like to see featured on the site or where we can make improvements.

Thanks!

One thing first, probably more later, but for now I just want to say. But I still highly appreciate the site, all the information, visuals, easy menus all the same.

The Temptations: Yes, I know, like most of the rest of Motown's classic-era acts, they were mostly "heyday" for their roll of hits 1964-1975, BUT, they persevered, still maintained "Tempting" good quality, even to this day, with Ron Tyson, Ali-Ollie Woodson, Theo Peoples, and Terry Weeks, even still made some, even if some of them were more in the Adult Contemporary R&B area, hits. Good to know some of that is still aknowledged, but, while many know "My Girl", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", and "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", only fewer knows "Special", "Magic", or "Hoops of Fire", and that majority'll still continue to be oblivious if they've never heard of them.

Simply put, the Temptations, are an all-time group, beyond "oldies".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 04-16-2016 at 12:20 PM.