[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & The Supremes/ Let The Sunshine In

l would have accepted this as the final album by Diana Ross and the Supremes but I guess Motown was not ready. "Discover Me" could have made an excellent swan song for the departure but I assume there were still song legal matters which required Ross to fulfill some of the engagements. As silly and campy as many say "Living In Shame" was I really did not think it was that bad. The title hit home for a lot of folks. I would have designed the cover a little better and perhaps re-titled it.

SupremeBoy Guest
    The design and illustrations for "Let The Sunshine In" were done by Dean O. Terrance of Kittyhawk Graphics. Dean Torrance was one half of the singing duo, Jan & Dean.

The company's website includes a portfolio of clients, and yes "Let The Sunshine In" is included.

KITTYHAWK GRAPHICS

I think this is the worst of the late 60's Supremes album. It's all over the place. I'm not sure who decided to include three year old tracks when there were plenty of decent recordings in the can recently recorded. I know the album was retitled, but they should have kept it. It's a shame Motown couldn't have continued the cohesiveness of Love Child.

there are some pics online of ad posters for it with it's original title - No Matter What Sign You Are.

while i do think Love Child was a better lp, it's hardly more cohesive of a collection. From Love Child to Honey Bee to i'll Set You Free? Evening Train to You Ain't Living?

as i've done with other Sup albums, i've created my own playlists of how I would have lined up the album. of course i redid Reflections and Love Child. based on the tracks from those lps that i didn't use, i created Sunshine. actually i have 2 versions:

Pop version
    Side 1
    Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In
    The Composer
    Hey Western Union Man
    Up Up and Away
    What Becomes of the Brokenhearted
    I'm Living In Shame

Side 2
    No Matter What Sign You Are
    Love Makes me Do Foolish things
    Will This Be the Day
    Don't Break These Chains of Love
    You Ain't living till You're Loving
    Hey Jude

Version 2 - Produce by Smokey Robinson
    Side 1
    The Composer
    Are You Sure Love is the Name of this Game?
    Sweet thing
    He's my Sunny Boy
    Treat Me Nice John Henry
    Then

Side 2
    No Matter What Sign You Are
    Will This Be the Day
    Hey Western Union Man
    Let The Music Play
    With A child's Heart
    I'm Livin In Shame

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think this is the worst of the late 60's Supremes album. It's all over the place. I'm not sure who decided to include three year old tracks when there were plenty of decent recordings in the can recently recorded. I know the album was retitled, but they should have kept it. It's a shame Motown couldn't have continued the cohesiveness of Love Child.
    I was going to say the exact same thing. I really don't care for much of their material post-their "Reflections" album. Too much Andantes, too little Supremes [[excluding the strangely-included older tracks), no Funk Brothers sound. After "Reflections" I don't feel like the Supremes became the Supremes again until Jean came into the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I was going to say the exact same thing. I really don't care for much of their material post-their "Reflections" album. Too much Andantes, too little Supremes [[excluding the strangely-included older tracks), no Funk Brothers sound. After "Reflections" I don't feel like the Supremes became the Supremes again until Jean came into the picture.
    i agree especially during that spring and fall era min 1969 when diana went on tv without the supremes llaugh in and like hep. Little did we kno mary and cindy was already recording with jean terrell.

What's interesting is that Motown included HDH produced tracks.

By 1969, HDH was long-gone from Motown; I'm not sure how this side of the business works, but by including their work, wouldn't Motown have to pay them? You'd think that would be the last thing Berry would want to do.

I remember getting this album in the mid-80's; I found this and "Cream of the Crop" at a church sale, both in excellent condition. I was absolutely thrilled at this find, simply because I never knew these LP's existed. I wasn't around for their original release, and this was a time well before the internet or any true reference guide of Supremes LP's. So discovering these was like finding a hidden treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Thanks for posting this: the Diana Ross Project has a lot of good info on her recording career. "Let The Sunshine In" was the very first LP I purchased by Diana Ross & the Supremes when it first came out in 69 and I've always felt that it was a 'mixed bag' [[with only 'The Composer' & 'I'm Living In Shame' really standing out).

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    What's interesting is that Motown included HDH produced tracks.

By 1969, HDH was long-gone from Motown; I'm not sure how this side of the business works, but by including their work, wouldn't Motown have to pay them? You'd think that would be the last thing Berry would want to do.
    I thought the same exact thing. Unless it was a situation like Florence's where the separation contract included a one-time lump-sum payment, essentially making any claims to future royalties null and void. However, I would think HDH would have been a little more business savvy to have signed something like that.

once something is recorded for a label [[work for hire) it is the label's to use whenever, whether the artist or writers are still with the label at the time or not; of course, royalties would have to be paid but that's where it ends

honest man Guest
    Absolutely love this album one of the first albums i owned by DRATS use to listen to at a neighbours-friend house over and over about 1970 brings back wonderful memories.I Also love these album reviews[thank you Jimi]but i have to disagree on Let the music play .it has always been the standout track to me and one i still listen to and compile on my Cdr, DMF were perfection on this recording beats Dionne -Roy Hamilton etc [i love both artists]versions everytime,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    l would have accepted this as the final album by Diana Ross and the Supremes but I guess Motown was not ready. "Discover Me" could have made an excellent swan song for the departure but I assume there were still song legal matters which required Ross to fulfill some of the engagements. As silly and campy as many say "Living In Shame" was I really did not think it was that bad. The title hit home for a lot of folks. I would have designed the cover a little better and perhaps re-titled it.
    I wasn't over struck with this album but I loved Discover Me Discover Love. I also loved Let The Music Play too. In fact, I thought side 2 was far better than side 1.

Discover Me was also recorded by another artist as a 45 which I have. Linda Carr of Highwire fame.

I loved Living In Shame on side 1 and despite being Hank Cosby's biggest fan, I was never keen on No Matter What Sign You Are.

I liked No Matter What Sign You ARe ,Let The Music pLay and a few other songs but it's one of my least favorite slbum

Hi Xtown,
    I will agree with Let The Music Play and Discover Me. Actually, they should have tried that with a release with one or the other being the flip side. Another hidden gem on that LP now that I think about it was "I'm Glad I got Somebody Like You Around". I am sure at this time and Mary and Diana and Cindy were ready to break it off. I keep think there had to be some legal issues still surrounding the group for them to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I wasn't over struck with this album but I loved Discover Me Discover Love. I also loved Let The Music Play too. In fact, I thought side 2 was far better than side 1.

Discover Me was also recorded by another artist as a 45 which I have. Linda Carr of Highwire fame.

I loved Living In Shame on side 1 and despite being Hank Cosby's biggest fan, I was never keen on No Matter What Sign You Are.

I found a copy of this album recently on the UK produced 2-fer. It's paired with "Cream of the Crop" so makes a nice package, being their last 2 studio LPs. I found to my surprise that I liked the album a lot better than I had remembered. While I think the cover is atrocious, and I can't stand "No Matter What Sign You Are" [[sorry, Gary and Jimi LaLumia), I think the filler material is actually quite good. I thought Ross' voice was also very good on the last 2 Supremes LPs. I love the instrumentation of "Livin' in Shame," though find the lyrics rather silly, and don't care for the insipid arrangement of "The Composer." But overall, I think the album is much better than its reputation. I also think it is better than "Cream of the Crop" which is mostly largely forgettable material except, of course, for the title song.

I prefer Cream Of the Crop. but the one thins I did notice while listening to many of ross /supremes tracks that I think are below standard. Ross still gave a good vocal even though some productions were below par