[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Box Set Question

I missed out on this when it was first released and am now cherry-picking tracks to download from it. Question: Are the tracks labelled "2000 Box Set Version" appreciably different from versions that have appeared elsewhere [[i.e. vocals, mix, etc.)?

Some are, some aren't such as "Bad Weather" for example.

The hit singles from 1963-1969 are the mixes that were done for the GREATEST HITS VOLS. 1, 2, and 3 collections from 1967 and 1969.

Thanks, folks.

Some of the hits are also alternate versions, like "Stop! In the Name of Love" and "The Happening", which is the demo version.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Some of the hits are also alternate versions, like "Stop! In the Name of Love" and "The Happening", which is the demo version.
    Oh, wow! Didn't know about "Stop!". "Love Is Here..." is also an alternate vocal. Thanks, Carlo!

I believe the mix on NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE is the same one on the MCA Special Products album "ITS HAPPENING," which the girls shared with Neil Diamond.

MOTHER DEAR is a different version than that on the MORE HITS album.

I think TAKE ME WHERE YOU GO runs longer than the version that was on FROM THE VAULTS.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe the mix on NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE is the same one on the MCA Special Products album "ITS HAPPENING," which the girls shared with Neil Diamond.

MOTHER DEAR is a different version than that on the MORE HITS album.

I think TAKE ME WHERE YOU GO runs longer than the version that was on FROM THE VAULTS.
    That's what I'm talking about! Much appreciated. Any others?

"Heaven Must Have Sent You" is the original 60's mix.
    "Stormy" and "T.C.B." are alternate mixes.
    "Mother Dear" is version 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Heaven Must Have Sent You" is the original 60's mix.
    "Stormy" and "T.C.B." are alternate mixes.
    "Mother Dear" is version 3.
    Do these versions of "HMHSY" and "MD" appear on any other collections?

it also includes the single versions of Up the Ladder and Bill When Are You Coming Home

The mix for "Automatically Sunshine" was not the single mix.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Do these versions of "HMHSY" and "MD" appear on any other collections?
    No, they're found only on the box set.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    No, they're found only on the box set.
    Much obliged.

Glad to help. "Bill, When Are you Coming Back" is a different version than the LP mix. It's the 45 RPM single version, which is a bit different. I know the instrumental break is mixed differently. Here's the tracklisting on Wikipedia with all of the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_[[2000_album)

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Glad to help. "Bill, When Are you Coming Back" is a different version than the LP mix. It's the 45 RPM single version, which is a bit different. I know the instrumental break is mixed differently. Here's the tracklisting on Wikipedia with all of the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_[[2000_album)
    This is fabulous. Thanks!

Hard to believe this set is 16 years old. I remember when it first came out; I rushed to best Buy to pick up my copy, hoping I was still able to find one with the "limited edition" 5th CD. Thankfully, yes. Were there actually any sets that DIDN'T come with it?

I played the 3rd and 4th CD's nonstop for weeks. Hearing such treasures as "Heaven Must Have Sent You" and "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was music to my ears.

I loved looking at each CD, with each appropriate grouping. And that booklet! I have referenced that so many times, and still do occasionally. Lots of great info. What a labor of love this masterpiece is.

The hit singles from 1963-1969 are the mixes that were done for the GREATEST HITS VOLS. 1, 2, and 3 collections from 1967 and 1969.
    Just to be sure, those remixes are NOT the hit singles. Yup! You read that right! The ONLY hit singles are the MONO mixes. Period!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Just to be sure, those remixes are NOT the hit singles. Yup! You read that right! The ONLY hit singles are the MONO mixes. Period!
    I agree, the hit singles versions are the mono versions that were mixed specifically for singles. If I remember correctly, the cd, Diana Ross + The Supremes Ultimate Collection contains all the mono single mixes. That series Ultimate Collection was designed as all mono single mixes for the Motown Artists.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Were there actually any sets that DIDN'T come with it?
    Mine didn't come with the extra live CD But I ended up purchasing it on Ebay years later for $16.

It is a great pity the era of these box sets is over. I have so many. As well as the Supremes one i have box sets by Diana, Marvin, Stevie, Smokey and the Miracles, Temps, the tops, The Spinners , Aretha, Otis, Dusty, J5, MJ. I always felt we should have been treated to box sets by Gladys and the Pips and Dionne Warwick. It is unlikely to happen now and i feel somewhat cheated. It is not just about the music. It is also about the beautifully presented notes and lush photos.
    Sorry for going slightly off topic.

[QUOTE=reese;329401]I believe the mix on NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE is the same one on the MCA Special Products album "ITS HAPPENING," which the girls shared with Neil Diamond......
    /QUOTE]

Although it was originally planned to be so, that unique mix did not appear until the 3 cd set 'Playlist + Plus'

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;329561]
    I believe the mix on NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE is the same one on the MCA Special Products album "ITS HAPPENING," which the girls shared with Neil Diamond....../QUOTE]

Although it was originally planned to be so, that unique mix did not appear until the 3 cd set 'Playlist + Plus'
    iTunes calls its box set mix the "'It's Happening' Version"; is this a fallacy, then?

[QUOTE=sansradio;329562]
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post

iTunes calls its box set mix the "'It's Happening' Version"; is this a fallacy, then?
    Please see post #10 here from George Solomon:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...remes+Playlist

I bought the box set much later and it came without the live CD. I did buy the promotional CD though separately.

Thanks to Carole Cucumber for your intrepid research [[as always)!

Couple more questions: Are "Shake!," "People," and "Surfer Boy" also box set exclusive versions?

Amazon UK is offering a new copy at 50 UK Pounds plus shipping [[2.00 I think) from a seller!