[REMOVE ADS]

Contemporary R&B acts

What does the forum think about the retro R&B artists like Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, The Roots, and others? Are they the real deal, or just posers, painting by the numbers?

Sharon Jones is the real deal.

For me, Sharon Jones has a decent enough voice; the Dap Kings are good musicians who well-execute the 60s-ish R & B vibe that seems to be their intended sound. But--what's missing is the songwriting. The lyrics and arrangements don't seem to get much past "cliche," if you will. And oftentimes, the lyrics are repeated ad infinitum and the "lyrical storyline" ends up going nowhere--ends up just being a "word riffs" repeated far too often.

After someone here recently posted a link to a video from their latest album, I went to iTunes to hear the rest of the tracks. I ended up downloading five tracks based on the 30-second samples [[Note: In that short span of time, iTunes has made most of their samples 1:30). One track, "Window Shopping," has poor Sharon singing the title phrase so often, the listener wants to say, "OK, SHARON--I GET IT!" At least that's what me and my wife were saying when the track came on earlier today in the car--LOL!!!

I'd like to see what the group could do with better material.

The Roots's latest, "How I Got Over," is one of my current favorites. I haven't been so much of a fan of their earlier work--a track here and there--but this one is knocking me out. Now, I'm an "old fogey"--I get the "clean" versions; don't want to deal with the unnecessary cussin'--LOL!!! That being said, I love just about the entire album, including the title tune, "Hustla," "Now Or Never," "Radio Daze," "Walk Alone," and my favorite cut on the album, "Right On." It's a good album overall; I'd recommend it highly.

There IS a Sharon that I'm currently digging--her name is Sharon Robinson. She released an album called "Everybody Knows" that I stumbled upon by chance at the iTunes store. I'm glad I did! She has such a wonderful, mellow voice--and the production, musicianship, songwriting, and arranging is wonderful! I'd sure like to see her get more recognition. The album itself was released in 2008, but I just discovered it last month. Great, great album. She's not really "retro," but she DEFINITELY deserves a shout-out!

Charles

My son hipped me to the roots and i'm impressed now i haven't heard all their work but what i heard wasn't bad!

topdiva1 Guest
    There is a new group out of Florida called "CITY GROOVE", I have seen them on youtube - check them out - and let me know what you think. I believe they are trying to bring R and B back!!!

Don't forget Detroit's own, KEM. Always bringing that smooth, romantic R&B vibe. Almost a modern day Marvin Gaye.

At the moment, those two acts as well as Gnarls Barkley and Outkast represent the only contemporary acts that make me turn my head.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Don't forget Detroit's own, KEM. Always bringing that smooth, romantic R&B vibe. Almost a modern day Marvin Gaye.
    I am glad to see local groups like Tampa's CITY GROOVE and Detroit's KEM are trying to bring back real music. I did enjoy CITY GROOVE'S live performances so I did pay the 99 cent to download their single.

And it was GREAT!!!!!!

Kings Go Forth

and Janelle Monae

I like Raphael Saadiq. He's keeping the old, classic sound alive.

pshark Guest
    Weapon Of Choice. These ladies are hot!

Good choice on Kings Go Forth, my favorite contemporary group right now. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are excellent -- better in concert than on record. I like Mayer Hawthorne. I listend to Aloe Blacc the other day and didn't like him, but I only listened for a little while. I need to give him another chance.

It's not like the 70's when the underdog/unknown groups were amazing and great soul group could be found any time, anywhere. Today, you gotta hunt, but there's some talent out there, just not much of it.

Yes, Mr. Saadiq, too.

Cee Lo Green. His new album The Lady Killer is great. Check him out, very musical!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    Weapon Of Choice. These ladies are hot!

The music and vocals here are very very weak. No more than a local garage band - hardly deserving the title of R and B . Those girls CAN NOT SING - nor the lead singer - low rent sleazy act.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_james View Post
    Cee Lo Green. His new album The Lady Killer is great. Check him out, very musical!
    I have to agree with you on Cee Lo Green, he has a great voice, and I cant wait to order his cd off of amazon.
    My two other mentions are: Anthony David and Martin Luther. Anthony David's Three Chords and the Truth has got to be one of the best albums [[for me) released in the past 10 years. And Martin Luther [[McCoy) is best described as a soulful rocker. He has one of the most soulful voices I've heard in a long while. If you really want to hear some good music, check out some of his work on youtube. I was impressed with this brotha after hearing one song off of satellite radio-and soon bought both of his cd's. He is head and shoulders above his contemporaries.