[REMOVE ADS]

A Collection of 16 Big Hits Volume 5

Or Volume 4 in the case of the USA issue. Some true classics obviously, but if I had to vote for my most and least favourite tracks it would probably be "In My Lonely Room" top and "Let Me Go The Right Way" least favourite. Any other offers?

Attachment 11208

I loved that series, mysterysinger! At the time, many gaps in my growing Motown collection were filled in thanks to the "Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits" series. I had no idea, however, that Motown had made our Vol. 4 YOUR Vol. 5! You've gotta wonder -- why on earth would they make it so confusing?!!!

To answer your question, I really can't pick any one favorite. It's like saying, "Which one of your kids is your favorite?"!!! I have no problem whatsoever with any of the tracks on this volume except for one -- like you, The Supremes' "Let Me Go The Right Way" doesn't belong here. It's too old and, to me, it sticks out like a sore thumb [[not unlike backing the B-side of "Forever Came Today" with "Time Changes Things"). Martha & The Vandellas' "In My Lonely Room" is a GREAT choice for a favorite, however. If I HAD to narrow it down, it would be a definite contender!

I think they used this series to introduce earlier material,case in point, the public knew Baby LOve but not Let Me Go the right Way

Yes the UK swapped around volumes 4 and 5 but none of the other 6 volumes in the UK series were the same as in the US. They certainly shared a few tracks though, and by including volumes 4 and 5 ended up repeating several tracks. Bit of a waste really. Might be worth you taking a look here.....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57623910194516
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-27-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes the UK swapped around volumes 4 and 5 but none of the other 6 volumes in the UK series were the same as in the US. They certainly shared a few tracks though, and by including volumes 4 and 5 ended up repeating several tracks. Bit of a waste really. Might be worth you taking a look here.....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57623910194516
    Wow! What a gorgeous collage, mysterysinger! The only trouble is, I'm so used to decades' worth of knowing the track line-up on the U.S. "Collection of 16...." series, seeing Vols. 4 & 5 swapped around on the U.K. version along with different track line-ups on your remaining volumes is mind boggling. Almost like waking up from a weird Twilight Zone-ish dream where everything seems foreign and nothing makes any sense!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-27-2016 at 05:28 PM.