[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Carry On would have made a great first single off EDIAND or at least a follow-up to Not Over You Yet in the UK.
    I agree. I thought CARRY ON also would have been a nice replacement for I WILL SURVIVE in Diana's act.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I agree. I thought CARRY ON also would have been a nice replacement for I WILL SURVIVE in Diana's act.
    I don't think she will ever take "iws" out of her set. She always adored the song and wanted to record it many years before she actually did so. When we released it as a single in the UK she was delighted. I never cared for her version but she always put her heart and soul into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think she will ever take "iws" out of her set. She always adored the song and wanted to record it many years before she actually did so. When we released it as a single in the UK she was delighted. I never cared for her version but she always put her heart and soul into it.
    During her 1979 HBO special, after performing I AIN'T BEEN LICKED, she mentioned that she liked songs with a message like LICKED or I WILL SURVIVE.

During her 1979 HBO special, after performing I AIN'T BEEN LICKED, she mentioned that she liked songs with a message like LICKED or I WILL SURVIVE.
    That would be a great replacement!!

Smile

Ollie - I sent you a private message which wasn't originally intended for you but hopefully you will understand what I am trying to say.
    Diana did indeed buy all the masters from her RCA years and unless she has a change of heart the unreleased songs will remain in the vault.
    The standards album was not produced by Diana thankfully. Bear in mind it was recorded before I arrived on the scene but I think it was recorded in London with 2 or 3 different producers from what I was told. Let me check in my diaries for any additional information because I don't for the moment recall exactly who Diana worked with. I think Daryl Hall and Michael Mcdonald both had some input but details are quite sketchy. It was RCA who did not rate the end product rather than Diana herself, and this did not help the already receding relationship between artist and Record Company.
    As regards Streisand she retains total control over her back catalogue and it is only now that she is trawling through the treasure trove of unreleased gems. Most of Diana's Motown product has now seen the light of day but there remain a handful of tracks from 75-77 that have only recently surfaced. Hopefully they will emerge on an expanded Ross 78. Diana has no control over her early Motown recordings so cannot prevent them being released.
    Going back to Streisand there are 3 unreleased songs from the Guilty sessions one of which eventually emerged on "eaten alive" that have yet to see the light of day. She would not allow them to be included on the reissue of "guilty" around 10 years ago.

Hope the above helps.
    Cheers Bluebrock. I did respond to your message. Not sure it was sent though!!.
    I guess we have a lot to look forward to....Perhaps one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Cheers Bluebrock. I did respond to your message. Not sure it was sent though!!.
    I guess we have a lot to look forward to....Perhaps one day.
    Got it Ollie .Check your inbox.

Does anyone know if "No Matter What You Do" was ever released as a single anywhere. It seems a song that few fans ever talk about, and one i felt had real hit potential, particularly in the UK. I can only assume that because it was a duet, and as such would have been hard for Diana to promote on tv by herself is the reason it was overlooked. Even without tv promotion, i think it could have charted higher than "Heart Dont Change My Mind". To me it always seems one that got away.

Does anyone know if "No Matter What You Do" was ever released as a single anywhere. It seems a song that few fans ever talk about, and one i felt had real hit potential, particularly in the UK. I can only assume that because it was a duet, and as such would have been hard for Diana to promote on tv by herself is the reason it was overlooked. Even without tv promotion, i think it could have charted higher than "Heart Dont Change My Mind". To me it always seems one that got away.
    It was released as a single in the USA prior to "fbtp" was released, and was not included on the USA edition of the album. It was included as a bonus track on the UK edition. It was actually recorded in the late 80's. Diana surprisingly agreed to do the duet after hearing a demo of the song.

IIRC, it reached #4 R&B in the US.

We did not have the rights to release it as a single in the UK. It was recorded for another label and as such we even had a few problems in securing it as a bonus song for "fbtp". Maybe it could have been a hit but I wasn't so sure at the time and am not sure even now.

No Matter What You DO with AL B Wright was released here in the US in 1989 ,it made #4 R@B

BlueBrook and Ollie ////thank you for all your input and knowledge.i truly appreciate reading your posts.
    that being said ,I have question if anyone can answer it.
    many years ago ,I saw a version of ROSS 83 on ebay that had a different track listing including songs listed as, MAYBE, FULL MOON ,SLEEP WITH ME TONIGHT. at first I passed because I thought it was a joke or rip off and I had already been ripped once by a then deluxe[[NOT) version of Ross 78.
    glad to know Ross 78 is still in the works .I know some songs were found that had been recorded with a guy who produced and married Bonnie Pointer but his name escapes me right now. hopefully we will get a deluxe Ross 78 sometime soon. with all the out takes, I cant help but feel how strange it was to include previously recorded songs were used on Ross 78.

ps I did pass on this version but regretted it and went back to purchase it but it was sold out.but funny ,never heard anymore about it

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    BlueBrook and Ollie ////thank you for all your input and knowledge.i truly appreciate reading your posts.
    that being said ,I have question if anyone can answer it.
    many years ago ,I saw a version of ROSS 83 on ebay that had a different track listing including songs listed as, MAYBE, FULL MOON ,SLEEP WITH ME TONIGHT. at first I passed because I thought it was a joke or rip off and I had already been ripped once by a then deluxe[[NOT) version of Ross 78.
    glad to know Ross 78 is still in the works .I know some songs were found that had been recorded with a guy who produced and married Bonnie Pointer but his name escapes me right now. hopefully we will get a deluxe Ross 78 sometime soon. with all the out takes, I cant help but feel how strange it was to include previously recorded songs were used on Ross 78.
    Those songs are from the original sessions for ROSS83. As I said previously the album originally contained 10 songs but two were taken off at the last minute. I haven't heard these outtakes so cannot vouch for their quality. I recall an expanded ROSS83 was to be released several years ago. I am not sure what happened but can only assume Diana vetoed the release as she owns the masters. She also refused to allow these songs to be included on the funkytowngrooves reissue from a couple of years ago.

thanks, it also had FIGHT FOR IT as a track. if I recall correctly , the entire side 2 was different , I think. it was a long time ago

I think they found some tracks she recorded with Jeffrey Bowen, I think ,he was the guy who married Bonnie Pointer. anyway, I think some of these tracks may find there way to ROSS 78

I think they found some tracks she recorded with Jeffrey Bowen, I think ,he was the guy who married Bonnie Pointer. anyway, I think some of these tracks may find there way to ROSS 78
    I do know some "lost" tracks were recently discovered from the mid 70's originally intended for the Black album. It is mindblowing to think how many songs Diana has recorded over the past 50+ years. She once told me she would sometimes spend up to 10 hours in the studio and then do a show that evening with the Supremes. She would go to bed exhausted after the show whilst Mary and Cindy were free to party . Diana would be back in the studio the next morning whilst the other girls were able to lie in bed and relax. She was certainly the hardest working Supreme. Smokey Robinson once said that he knew no-one else with her work ethic, and I have to agree with him.

thank you BlueBrook. enjoy your thoughts and comments. nice to read info that is not gossip about DR.

the song" Maybe" was a cover of an old song from the early 60s by another girl group. not sure but I am thinking Chantells. I will look it up

the song" Maybe" was a cover of an old song from the early 60s by another girl group. not sure but I am thinking Chantells. I will look it up
    And, incidentally, is "Sleep With Me Tonight" the Bacharach/Bayer Sager tune that Patti LaBelle recorded on her Winner in You album?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    And, incidentally, is "Sleep With Me Tonight" the Bacharach/Bayer Sager tune that Patti LaBelle recorded on her Winner in You album?
    I suspect it is daviddh but having not heard it I cannot say for sure.

Bluebrook/ Ollie , are you aware of any other out takes from any of the other albums. I heard there were other songs from The Voice Of Love but not released

Bluebrook/ Ollie , are you aware of any other out takes from any of the other albums. I heard there were other songs from The Voice Of Love but not released
    daviddh - This subject is discussed in an earlier post in this thread. There were 3 additional songs recorded for this project. Scroll back and you will find a few posts discussing it. Give me a shout if you require any clarification.

Regarding first single releases, in hindsight it is easy to conclude this song would have done better than that etc etc. Having said that it must be aknowledged that ther were some very strange choices, particulaly during her RCA years. "So Close", "Upfront", "Mr Lee", "Shockwaves" songs to me that never stood a chance of becoming hits, and so it proved.
    One lead single i did think would have made more of a splash was"Take Me Higher". It is such a fun song, had an exciting promo video and was heavily promoted, at least here in the UK. I guess it goes to prove you never really know for sure what will fly and what might crash.

Regarding first single releases, in hindsight it is easy to conclude this song would have done better than that etc etc. Having said that it must be aknowledged that ther were some very strange choices, particulaly during her RCA years. "So Close", "Upfront", "Mr Lee", "Shockwaves" songs to me that never stood a chance of becoming hits, and so it proved.
    One lead single i did think would have made more of a splash was"Take Me Higher". It is such a fun song, had an exciting promo video and was heavily promoted, at least here in the UK. I guess it goes to prove you never really know for sure what will fly and what might crash.
    When I first heard "take me higher" I was convinced we had a top 10 smash in our hands. We lined Diana up to appear on "totp" but one of her children fell ill and she was unable to fly to the UK but being the the trooper that she is we managed to persuade her to perform via satellite from the Motown museum in Detroit. Diana was distracted and she mimed to the track rather than sing it live. She promised to perform it live on the show a couple of weeks later which she did but the song dropped down the charts and the performance was never aired. I was at the taping and she did a fabulous rendition. She was delighted by it and asked me to gauge the reaction when it was broadcast. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was never broadcast and to this very day she remains unaware of this! Hope she isn't reading this!

even her Super Bowl appearance with the helicopter exit didn't take "Take Me Higher" any higher... the 'new' Motown just didn't seem to be on board

i think that TAKE ME HIGHER got lost in with the medley of hits and so I am not sure if many people knew it was new?? I was hoping she would just do a medley of songs from the new album , I thought that might help it out at the time,but who knows how the public will react.
    it was a great track and album with so many gems

i think that TAKE ME HIGHER got lost in with the medley of hits and so I am not sure if many people knew it was new?? I was hoping she would just do a medley of songs from the new album , I thought that might help it out at the time,but who knows how the public will react.
    it was a great track and album with so many gems
    Diana really believed in this album and performed several of the tracks on various TV shows in the UK, USA and Japan. There were several potential hits on it and yet some buffoon in the UK decided that "gone" was the ideal choice to follow "tmh". There were some great mixes of "if your not gonna love me right" knocking about. Radio dj's were enthusiastic about it but all pleas fell on deaf ears. I am still annoyed after all these years. I asked for it to be the 4th single following "i will survive" but for reasons I shall not go into here it did not happen.

Diana really believed in this album and performed several of the tracks on various TV shows in the UK, USA and Japan. There were several potential hits on it and yet some buffoon in the UK decided that "gone" was the ideal choice to follow "tmh". There were some great mixes of "if your not gonna love me right" knocking about. Radio dj's were enthusiastic about it but all pleas fell on deaf ears. I am still annoyed after all these years. I asked for it to be the 4th single following "i will survive" but for reasons I shall not go into here it did not happen.
    Diana did a few tv appearances in the US for the album. Upon its release, she sang the title track on Letterman, and then IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT a week later on the Tonight Show. Around Thanksgiving, she performed HIGHER and VOICE OF THE HEART on a Soul Train anniversary special. Later, she came back to Letterman to do a fun version of I WILL SURVIVE during which she appeared to leave the stage, exit the theater, go get a drink, go get a message, and think re-emerge to end the song wearing a bathrobe. She also sang SURVIVE on the Tonight Show right before the Super Bowl, but by then the album had peaked.

GONE was the second single in the US as well. I love that song, but like you, I thought it should have been a single much later. I would have gone with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT, which was released later as a double a-side with VOICE OF THE HEART.
    Last edited by reese; 04-21-2016 at 02:56 PM.

I also love the song, but never felt it a wise choice as a single. Having said, given it's quality it really should have done better than it did. Perhaps it was Diana's solid success rate with ballads in the UK that prompted EMI to select it as the second single. Then as now it seems a really bad idea. Judging from a performance seen on you tube it was not an easy song for Diana to perform live either.
    I agree that "If Your Not Gonna Love Me Right" should without doubt have been the second single. The remixes were cool.
    Going back a number of years, a song that i thought would go on to become a Diana classic was "Stay With Me". I have never understood why it was never released as the first single from the "To Love Again" album when it was so obviously the most commercial of the new batch of songs she had cut with Mr Masser.

I also love the song, but never felt it a wise choice as a single. Having said, given it's quality it really should have done better than it did. Perhaps it was Diana's solid success rate with ballads in the UK that prompted EMI to select it as the second single. Then as now it seems a really bad idea. Judging from a performance seen on you tube it was not an easy song for Diana to perform live either.
    I agree that "If Your Not Gonna Love Me Right" should without doubt have been the second single. The remixes were cool.
    Going back a number of years, a song that i thought would go on to become a Diana classic was "Stay With Me". I have never understood why it was never released as the first single from the "To Love Again" album when it was so obviously the most commercial of the new batch of songs she had cut with Mr Masser.
    From what i was told "stay with me" had previously been recorded by Roberta Flack and her version had been played on some of the quiet storm radio shows. This in itself is no reason why it could not have been a single but by this time Diana had departed Motown and the company had no real reason or desire to promote the album. I don't know who decided not to release "stay with me" but i agree it would have been a better follow up to "it's my turn". Diana herself did not approve of the release of the "to love again" album just as she had not been happy with Ross78, and i can well understand why not.

From what i was told "stay with me" had previously been recorded by Roberta Flack and her version had been played on some of the quiet storm radio shows. This in itself is no reason why it could not have been a single but by this time Diana had departed Motown and the company had no real reason or desire to promote the album. I don't know who decided not to release "stay with me" but i agree it would have been a better follow up to "it's my turn". Diana herself did not approve of the release of the "to love again" album just as she had not been happy with Ross78, and i can well understand why not.
    I have always thought that Diana herself had a lot to do with Ross 78. Did she not select the albums artwork?.
    Roberta Flacks version of "Stay With Me" is excellent, as are all the songs from that album. Having said that it is Diana's version i find the more poignent. I do remember seeing posters for the album around at the time, plus Motown did release two singles form the album which though nice enough, never stood a chance of becoming hits. "Stay With Me" was by far the more commercial of the three new songs. Could it have been a copyright problem?.

I also agree that IF Youre Not Gonna Love Me Right should have been the next single from TMH. great track. great album. I'm Gone should have been the last single. I just don't get it. like the were trying to kill the album?

I have always thought that Diana herself had a lot to do with Ross 78. Did she not select the albums artwork?.
    Roberta Flacks version of "Stay With Me" is excellent, as are all the songs from that album. Having said that it is Diana's version i find the more poignent. I do remember seeing posters for the album around at the time, plus Motown did release two singles form the album which though nice enough, never stood a chance of becoming hits. "Stay With Me" was by far the more commercial of the three new songs. Could it have been a copyright problem?.
    Ross78 was a rushed project. She was meant to do an album with the producers of the Village People but that project fell through. She had been busy filming "the wiz" and there was deemed to be insufficient time to record a whole new album. Therefore Ross78 was made up of unreleased material and a few previously released songs. She was not happy with the album. As regards the artwork I honestly do not know if she was responsible for the cover.

So far as I am aware there were no copyright issues Ollie. They just didn't appear to want to release a song so recently linked with Roberta Flack. I think I am right in saying Micheal Masser also produced Roberta's version. There was also another version knocking about which I cannot recall at the moment.

So far as I am aware there were no copyright issues Ollie. They just didn't appear to want to release a song so recently linked with Roberta Flack. I think I am right in saying Micheal Masser also produced Roberta's version. There was also another version knocking about which I cannot recall at the moment.
    The whole featuring Donny album was produced by Roberta and Eric Mercury. I still regard it as one of her best. I really think the person or persons responsible for not releasing Diana's version as a single all deserve a thorough spanking, even if it was 35 years ago..."wow", can you believe. IMO it was a surefire hit, at least in the UK.
    This is my little list of songs that should have been the lead single, starting from 81.

To Love Again - Stay With Me.
    Why Do Fools - Right choice.
    Silk Electric - 2nd single Love Lies.
    ross - You Do It.
    Eaten Alive - Chain Reaction
    Swept Away - Right choice [[USA). Telephone [[UK)
    Red Hot Rhythm - Shine
    Workin Overtime - Say We Can
    Force Behind The Power - Right choice [[UK)
    Take Me Higher - I Will Survive then If Your Not Gonna Love Me [[Remix version)
    Everyday Is A New Day - Right Choice. 2nd single Until We Meet Again [[Remix)

P.S i chose Telephone for the UK as quite a few friends of mine who were not into Ross liked this one song from the album.....as did i.

I think we're all singing from the same hymn sheet with Stay With Me - I was always puzzled why this was never issued as a single. EMI in the UK were normally so astute but One More Chance was possibly - with the exception of This House and Eaten Alive - one of Diana's worst singles - it was a complete mess.

Cryin'y My Heart Out For You suffered as the follow-up. It would have done much better if it had even been the lead single.

Not sure I agree with Ollie about Telephone as a single in the UK. Touch By Touch was a pretty good choice and if RCA had actually put some promotion behind it, it could have gone big.

However, I think Swept Away should have been given a chance here. For some strange reason as opposed to the 70s and 90s Diana's biggest hits in the 80s were with uptempo numbers rather than ballads and Hall and Oates had a high UK profile at the time.

Bluerock - I think you should write a book about your tenure at EMI while Diana was on their label. There's a lot you probably couldn't say but so much you could. I'll put in an advance order!

Although you seem to have joined around the late 80s you have extensive knowlege of Diana's UK career right through. I have a few questions you might be able to answer. Your insight into the late 70s helped explain why Diana's success dipped in this period.

There were questions in some quarters fregarding the chart positions of It's My House. What do you know of this? If you can't/don't want to comment on this fair enough, I can understand your position.

The All The Great Hits album puzzles me. Released at the end of 1981 although it only reached #21 it was during the high sales season and in the updated year end chart it was around the mid-120s meaning sales in the low 100ks. It did hover in the lower end of the chart until April and had another small run for 2 months later in the year which would probably not count for much more than 50k in sales. It wasn't among the top 200 in the year end charts for 1982 and 1983.

Early in 1984 it received a Platinum certification. Now I know these are awarded on shipments but given that the album could hardly have sold in excess of 200k at retail it's hard to believe it could be over-shipped to this extent. Even if it had been heavily overshipped at Christmas 1981 these would now have been returned or still in the stores and if they had stock then they would not have been ordering more so how on earth did it get to the Platinum certification.

The only explanation which might be possible is that Record Clubs had become very popular in the UK and mainstream artists and Compilation albums would have been very popular in them. Sales here of course were not counted towards the chart. Do you know if there was any promtion of the album through the Clubs or know of any explanation as to how this album went Platinum. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

For me the biggest mystery of Diana's UK career.

How on earth was Do You Know Where You're Going To a flop when first released in the UK?

You talked about Diana's profile in the late 70s but I would have thought in 1975 she would still have been a top priority artist. Diana was highly popular, Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right had made it to just outside the top 20 earlier in the year, the song was one of those timeless ballads which the UK public loved from her and was climbing the US chart on its way to #1. Yet when released here in October 1975 it didn't even make the breakers let alone the chart [[admittedly only a top 50 then).

I'm completely baffled by this. Of course when Diana toured here in Spring '76 the record took off [[was it re-promoted? I don't believe it was re-released) and went all the way to the top5 although interestingly it did stall in its second week just outside the top 50.

This was quickly followed by Love Hangover giving Diana simultaneous hits although on reflection even though it sold into 6 figures and made #10 you might have expected it to be even bigger especially with Diana having just toured.

Any thoughts?

I must admit that I always loved ONE MORE CHANCE and thought it was a great follow-up to IT'S MY TURN. But I was a bit surprised by the whole TO LOVE AGAIN project.

Diana had just had one of the biggest-selling albums of her career with "diana". I would have thought they would have tried to keep some of that sound with her next release. I understand that IT'S MY TURN was a hit, but I think even some of that was because it followed UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT.

Of course, now knowing that Diana was on her way out of the company, it probably wasn't easy to do what would seem to be expected. But to follow a blockbuster like "diana" with an album like TO LOVE AGAIN which only included three new songs was really an insult to her legacy. I'm not surprised that Diana didn't like it. Although I thought she might have sanctioned it somewhat, as it was the first album to list a fan club credit. And the cover photos were gorgeous.

I thought that I read somewhere that Motown wanted to include ENDLESS LOVE on To Love Again but only got single rights to release it as polydor ?? got the right to use it on the lp soundtrack. as a result ,they released a Michael Masser tribute album instead. with all the left over tracks in the vault ,you would think that Motown would have released more original material , especially since they released the ALL THE GREAT HITS several months later

In fairness to Motown, i do feel they deemed some of the unreleased songs they could have used for "To Love Again" simply not good enough or just to dated. I myself would have definitely included "Keep My Light In My Window" which was recorded in the late 70's and the touching "We're Always Saying Goodbye", which might have been a nice song to close out the album. Other unreleased songs from around this time such as "Sweet Summertime Lovin" and "Fire Don't Burn" to my ears just don't make the grade, and i can well understand why they were canned for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I think we're all singing from the same hymn sheet with Stay With Me - I was always puzzled why this was never issued as a single. EMI in the UK were normally so astute but One More Chance was possibly - with the exception of This House and Eaten Alive - one of Diana's worst singles - it was a complete mess.

Cryin'y My Heart Out For You suffered as the follow-up. It would have done much better if it had even been the lead single.

Not sure I agree with Ollie about Telephone as a single in the UK. Touch By Touch was a pretty good choice and if RCA had actually put some promotion behind it, it could have gone big.

However, I think Swept Away should have been given a chance here. For some strange reason as opposed to the 70s and 90s Diana's biggest hits in the 80s were with uptempo numbers rather than ballads and Hall and Oates had a high UK profile at the time.

Bluerock - I think you should write a book about your tenure at EMI while Diana was on their label. There's a lot you probably couldn't say but so much you could. I'll put in an advance order!

Although you seem to have joined around the late 80s you have extensive knowlege of Diana's UK career right through. I have a few questions you might be able to answer. Your insight into the late 70s helped explain why Diana's success dipped in this period.

There were questions in some quarters fregarding the chart positions of It's My House. What do you know of this? If you can't/don't want to comment on this fair enough, I can understand your position.

The All The Great Hits album puzzles me. Released at the end of 1981 although it only reached #21 it was during the high sales season and in the updated year end chart it was around the mid-120s meaning sales in the low 100ks. It did hover in the lower end of the chart until April and had another small run for 2 months later in the year which would probably not count for much more than 50k in sales. It wasn't among the top 200 in the year end charts for 1982 and 1983.

Early in 1984 it received a Platinum certification. Now I know these are awarded on shipments but given that the album could hardly have sold in excess of 200k at retail it's hard to believe it could be over-shipped to this extent. Even if it had been heavily overshipped at Christmas 1981 these would now have been returned or still in the stores and if they had stock then they would not have been ordering more so how on earth did it get to the Platinum certification.

The only explanation which might be possible is that Record Clubs had become very popular in the UK and mainstream artists and Compilation albums would have been very popular in them. Sales here of course were not counted towards the chart. Do you know if there was any promtion of the album through the Clubs or know of any explanation as to how this album went Platinum. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

For me the biggest mystery of Diana's UK career.

How on earth was Do You Know Where You're Going To a flop when first released in the UK?

You talked about Diana's profile in the late 70s but I would have thought in 1975 she would still have been a top priority artist. Diana was highly popular, Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right had made it to just outside the top 20 earlier in the year, the song was one of those timeless ballads which the UK public loved from her and was climbing the US chart on its way to #1. Yet when released here in October 1975 it didn't even make the breakers let alone the chart [[admittedly only a top 50 then).

I'm completely baffled by this. Of course when Diana toured here in Spring '76 the record took off [[was it re-promoted? I don't believe it was re-released) and went all the way to the top5 although interestingly it did stall in its second week just outside the top 50.

This was quickly followed by Love Hangover giving Diana simultaneous hits although on reflection even though it sold into 6 figures and made #10 you might have expected it to be even bigger especially with Diana having just toured.

Any thoughts?
    Goodness me Florence! You have certainly given me a task and a half with your questions. It will probably take several responses to answer all your questions so please bear with me. Initially i shall deal with your 70's Motown questions.
    As regards "it's my house" it suffered because there was also a cover version out by a reggae act who's name currently escapes me. For some reason radio 1 decided to go with that version. It was rush released just before Diana's and certain DJ'S such as Dave Lee Travis tried to claim it was Diana who had released a cover version. As a result both versions stalled in the 30's and radio 1 gave Diana little airplay. There is a reason for this. A certain"high up" person at radio 1 had a personal feud with a certain person at Motown UK. Check just how few motown songs charted around this period. It was very political.
    Mahogany was always expected to chart when the film was released and you are quite right when you say it was merely re=promoted to coincide with Diana's tour which was the first time i saw Diana.
    As regards my book - watch this space. I also had encounters with many other stars including Whitney, Mariah, Britney, Christina, J Lo, Anita Baker, Elton, George Michael and the recently deceased Prince to name but a few. Some were lovely, others were a total nightmare .
    Love Hangover should have been bigger. Not sure why it only just scraped into the top 10. The album had sold well but i cannot explain too much as to why it didn't go higher because radio 1 was well behind the song.
    Not time to write any more just now but i hope the above is a little helpful to you Florence,

Love to see your posts Bluebrock. Wish you'd been here years ago because we've lost quite a few semi connected music people. Or they just got tired of talking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Love to see your posts Bluebrock. Wish you'd been here years ago because we've lost quite a few semi connected music people. Or they just got tired of talking about it!
    Thank you jobeterob. Very kind words. I have lots to say and so long as people want to listen i will hang around.
    It is so much easier to talk when you are no longer directly involved in the business, but i still have friends who are involved and they continue to keep me updated on certain subjects. Thank you again. I will check back in tomorrow when i should have more time.

I thought that I read somewhere that Motown wanted to include ENDLESS LOVE on To Love Again but only got single rights to release it as polydor ?? got the right to use it on the lp soundtrack. as a result ,they released a Michael Masser tribute album instead. with all the left over tracks in the vault ,you would think that Motown would have released more original material , especially since they released the ALL THE GREAT HITS several months later
    I don't think ENDLESS LOVE could have figured into the TO LOVE AGAIN album. From what I remember, TO LOVE AGAIN was released in February or March of 1981. ENDLESS LOVE wasn't released until the following summer.

bluebrock did you have anything to do with the 80's new wave acts over there like Toyah?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    bluebrock did you have anything to do with the 80's new wave acts over there like Toyah?
    I didn't work with Toyah but i did work with several UK acts including Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Heaven 17, Abc, Haircut 100, Yazoo, Alison Moyet, Kim Wilde. Most of them were absolute dolls.

As regards "it's my house" it suffered because there was also a cover version out by a reggae act who's name currently escapes me.
    The group was called Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The group was called Storm.
    Thank you for that!!

I don't think ENDLESS LOVE could have figured into the TO LOVE AGAIN album. From what I remember, TO LOVE AGAIN was released in February or March of 1981. ENDLESS LOVE wasn't released until the following summer.
    If I remember correctly, that is correct. The story about including Endless Love at that time might be related to Diana's Duets, which was released in september 1981, when "Endless Love" was on the charts. The US version of the album did not include Endless Love [[though the international version did). But then, the song was included on All The Greatest Hits, which was just released one month later.

It was always my understanding that To Love Again was intended to be an album with only new recordings composed and produced by Michael Masser, but that the recording of the vocals were never completed because Ross left Motown. Therefore, Motown filled the remaining of the album with the hits songs Ross did of Masser. Unfortunately, the liner notes of the CD don't say anything about that. The other unreleased songs mentioned were intended for the more dance oriented Revelations album that Motown was planning to release, but apparently didn't when Ross publicly said that BG would never do that.

That makes sense