[REMOVE ADS]

"Nothing Can Help You Now" by Lenny Curtis

I am coming late to the party on this one. Just discovered the fabulous "Nothing Can Help You Now" by Lenny Curtis and can't get enough of it. Is that at least some of the Funk Brothers playing on the cut? If not, then this is one of the best faux-Motown productions I've ever heard! I've seen a scan of the original End 45 label and I noticed Robert Bateman's name as a writer/arranger/producer so I'm guessing this might have been cut in Detroit? Would appreciate any info from you knowledgeable Soulful Detroit forum members.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  21.1 KB
    Robert Bateman recorded that cut in New York, as far as I know. He was operating both out of Detroit and New York in 1964. But, the bulk of his work then was recorded in New York. He used Richard Tee as arranger and orchestra leader a lot, and they used top-notch New York session musicians, like Pretty Purdie and a regular crew, to "simulate" "The Detroit Sound". End Records was a New York label [[owned by George Goldner). Bateman's New York-based writing and producing partner, Ronald Mosely, co-produced that record. In addition, Benny Hall [[a New York/East coast guy) worked as assistant producer. Lenny Curtis was also an East Coast based artist [[rather than being from Detroit). By contrast, when Bateman still worked in Detroit at that time, he worked there with Popcorn Wylie and Mary Wells [[Detroit-based people).

Interestingly enough, that record came out near the 'end' of the End label!!

Best,

Mark

I have seen this record described as the final release on End, however the End record discography on soulfulkindamusic has at least one later 45 release ..

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/end.htm

Here is the record on youtube ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqbxk1ZK9E

Roger

Nice record, and Lenny has a touch of the Sam Cooke's in his vocal style which I like. You can read more about him and hear a sound clip of the flip of his End 45 "Who You Gonna Run To" here -

http://www.sirshambling.com/artists/...ny_curtis.html

Interesting to learn that he also recorded as Geronimo & the Apaches for Galiko.