[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1

    Identify this group???

    who is this?

    Name:  group.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  51.9 KB

  2. #2
    Bill Summers and Summer's Heat?

  3. #3
    i'm saying Heatwave?

  4. #4
    Ok, no it's not. I have to think for a moment.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    i'm saying Heatwave?
    I know it is not Heatwave. Johnny and his brother are not in the pic, nor is Rod Temperton.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-06-2016 at 12:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know it is not Heatwave. Johnny and brother are not in the pic, nor Rod Temperton.
    Fatback Band? I'm going off the little guy.

  7. #7
    I know or seen the guy on the right, in the back .

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Fatback Band? I'm going off the little guy.
    It think you are right.

  9. #9
    The picture is distorted. It makes them look like their legs are all short. Makes them look like midgets.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    i'm saying Heatwave?
    No. Too many members for that. besides, the original lineup had three white guys in it.

  11. #11
    Could it be early Raydio? The guy in the plaid pants could pass for Ray Parker.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Could it be early Raydio? The guy in the plaid pants could pass for Ray Parker.
    Nope not Raydio from Detroit. They had that many members and Ray, nor Jerry Knight are in that picture.

  13. #13
    http://100.lmu.edu/history/timeline.htm#

    Go to 1970 and under 1968 it shows this photo. Click on photo to enlarge. No clue. Definitely looks more 70s.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 03-06-2016 at 08:21 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    http://100.lmu.edu/history/timeline.htm#

    Go to 1970 and under 1968 it shows this photo. Click on photo to enlarge. No clue. Definitely looks more 70s.

    Something is definitely wrong. The shoes and the pants are definitely from the 70s, circa 1973-74. So does the way the photo is labeled mean that they are not a band?

  15. #15
    caption says:
    The Black Student Union and United Mexican-American Students form.

  16. #16
    I think jillfoster created a bit of a mystery here and I like a challenge. I emailed Loyola Marymount University and inquired about the photo. I will certainly let you all know if I hear anything. I agree the clothing does not match the time frame of 1968 and like marv2, it appears more likely the early 70s especially with the platform shoes. Great looking group but who are they? I hope we find out.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Could it be early Raydio? The guy in the plaid pants could pass for Ray Parker.
    No. Raydio didn't have a white guy in it. Not only that, there was no flute player in Raydio. Raydio was only assembled as a stage outfit to cover for Ray Parker Jr. being a solo artist.

  18. #18
    I'm calling it. The band pictured is WAR. The guy with the flute would be Lee Oskar.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I'm calling it. The band pictured is WAR. The guy with the flute would be Lee Oskar.
    Lee Oskar is white from Denmark.

  20. #20
    I heard back from the Alumni Association and she said she will look into it and let me know. It's definitely not WAR.

  21. #21
    Interesting: as soon as I declared the band to be War, everyone stopped posting.

  22. #22
    It's not War. I'm thinking it's a photo of Black and Latin college student union members.

  23. #23
    OK, how about The Jimmy Castor Bunch? That guy in the front kind of looks like Jimmy Castor.

    Name:  group.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  51.9 KB

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    OK, how about The Jimmy Castor Bunch? That guy in the front kind of looks like Jimmy Castor.

    Name:  group.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  51.9 KB
    Nope. Jimmy was from Camden, NJ. He didn't go to college out there. Jimmy's darker complected with a much broader nose.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Interesting: as soon as I declared the band to be War, everyone stopped posting.
    I think you read too much into the stop and go pace of this thread, soulster...
    Anyway, I still think it could be a later or earlier edition of Bill Summers and Summers
    Heat . The guy in the rear right sure looks like Bill Summers to me. I know the caption the
    first picture was taken from said Black and Mexican students blah blah blah but I think
    it was wrong because I only see one guy in the picture who may be Mexican or
    otherwise Hispanic. And BTW Lee Oskar of War played harmonica not flute...

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I think you read too much into the stop and go pace of this thread, soulster...
    Anyway, I still think it could be a later or earlier edition of Bill Summers and Summers
    Heat . The guy in the rear right sure looks like Bill Summers to me. I know the caption the
    first picture was taken from said Black and Mexican students blah blah blah but I think
    it was wrong because I only see one guy in the picture who may be Mexican or
    otherwise Hispanic. And BTW Lee Oskar of War played harmonica not flute...
    Splanky, that's exactly what I am thinking in regards to Bill Summers and Summer's Heat.

  27. #27
    Here's a picture of Bill Summers & Summers Heat :


  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I think you read too much into the stop and go pace of this thread, soulster...
    Probably. I'm just so used to forums that generate over a thousand posts a day.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Here's a picture of Bill Summers & Summers Heat :

    I think we have a winner!

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Probably. I'm just so used to forums that generate over a thousand posts a day.
    Gotcha! Once upon a time SDF used to feature much more traffic and conversation over
    music than present day reflects....Anyhoo, Bill Summers was and still is a motherfunker
    of a percussionist. Even a lot of folks who never knew much about his work as a leader
    have heard him on Herbie Hancock's Headhunters release which shook both the jazz and
    funk crowds down to their cores. In recent years his Los Hombres Calientes has been doing
    well too. Looking at that picture Phil posted I'm reminded that Summers Heat also had
    at one time, girls in the group. I think that's Lori Ham pictured. There was another, Carla
    Vaughn, who could get into the stratosphere ala Liz Lands or Jean Carne. 70's music still
    rules to me...

  31. #31
    Look at post #2.......................LOL!

  32. #32
    Yea, Marv, I saw your post the first time. Meant to tell you I thought you were right but I got distracted and when I got back to the thread your subsequent posts seemed to indicate
    that you weren't sure...Wish I still had my Bill Summers vinyl among other things. Dang,
    we had MUSIC back then, didn't we?....

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Yea, Marv, I saw your post the first time. Meant to tell you I thought you were right but I got distracted and when I got back to the thread your subsequent posts seemed to indicate
    that you weren't sure...Wish I still had my Bill Summers vinyl among other things. Dang,
    we had MUSIC back then, didn't we?....
    Thanks Splanky. One thing I have to remember, is to not second guess yourself. I have several of Bill Summers & Summer's albums and they had some really great cuts. Sometimes it's hard to identify a group with so many members.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thanks Splanky. One thing I have to remember, is to not second guess yourself. I have several of Bill Summers & Summer's albums and they had some really great cuts. Sometimes it's hard to identify a group with so many members.
    That's so true. I remember seeing a picture of a band at work with the drummer's face
    blocked and not recognizing Cameo. Boy,did I feel dumb. I know they were costly but I loved
    those big ensemble type bands we had in the early to mid 70's. EWF, Cameo as I already mentioned, New Birth with the full Niteliters rhythm section and horns, etc...As we moved
    into the 90's everything became a trio, sometimes even a duo with pickup musicians as they toured...O well, always ain't forever...

  35. #35
    And now, one guy does all of the music a lot of the time (even though much of it is sampled or programmed. At least when Prince was on top of his game, he played live drums along with real bass and guitars. The days of collaboration in popular music are probably gone forever.

    I may be exaggerating a little...

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    And now, one guy does all of the music a lot of the time (even though much of it is sampled or programmed. At least when Prince was on top of his game, he played live drums along with real bass and guitars. The days of collaboration in popular music are probably gone forever.

    I may be exaggerating a little...
    Don't forget Ray Parker Jr.! He was also a one-man band.

  37. #37
    Good one, soulster. I knew that he was an excellent guitarist but he was able to do it all. Especially after he got confident in his own singing voice.

    I wonder if a thread honoring one-man bands would have many responses? In addition to Parker and Prince, Stevie Wonder really grew as an artist when he started playing more instruments on his albums. I'm sure there are more (and there's somebody in the back of my mind that I can't think of) but it's late and I can't think of any right now.

  38. #38
    I think extremely rare are musicians that can actually "do it all" , that is play any kind of
    instrument they encounter but there have always been a number of multi-instrumentalist
    in many genres of music, each with their own particular limits. Another one I'd add to this
    list would be Junie Morrison, formerly of both The Ohio Players and P- Funk. He was
    incredible and I still listen to his work in and out of those groups. It has long bugged me
    that the hip hop icon Flavor Flav reneged on his own chance to make well known his
    adept skills on a variety of instruments even after a number of our favorites had signed on
    to help him show case his talents...

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Good one, soulster. I knew that he was an excellent guitarist but he was able to do it all. Especially after he got confident in his own singing voice.

    I wonder if a thread honoring one-man bands would have many responses? In addition to Parker and Prince, Stevie Wonder really grew as an artist when he started playing more instruments on his albums. I'm sure there are more (and there's somebody in the back of my mind that I can't think of) but it's late and I can't think of any right now.
    Paul McCartney.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Yea, Marv, I saw your post the first time. Meant to tell you I thought you were right but I got distracted and when I got back to the thread your subsequent posts seemed to indicate
    that you weren't sure...Wish I still had my Bill Summers vinyl among other things. Dang,
    we had MUSIC back then, didn't we?....
    We definitely had music, real music back then.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Paul McCartney.
    Rock musicians include Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters, as well. And Beck. They're contemporary artists and may be the last of a dying breed (playing live skins and guitars instead of synths, samplers, and keyboards.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I think extremely rare are musicians that can actually "do it all" , that is play any kind of
    instrument they encounter but there have always been a number of multi-instrumentalist
    in many genres of music, each with their own particular limits. Another one I'd add to this
    list would be Junie Morrison, formerly of both The Ohio Players and P- Funk. He was
    incredible and I still listen to his work in and out of those groups. It has long bugged me
    that the hip hop icon Flavor Flav reneged on his own chance to make well known his
    adept skills on a variety of instruments even after a number of our favorites had signed on
    to help him show case his talents...
    I need to dig out "Evacuate Your Seats". I haven't played that in nearly 30 years. I wonder how well it held up? A lot of music from back then sounds like "music from back then" when I haven't been listening to it constantly.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I heard back from the Alumni Association and she said she will look into it and let me know. It's definitely not WAR.
    Never heard back but will post if I ever do.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.