[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & the Supremes 1965?

I came across this concert poster dated October 1965 from Vancouver, B.C. Canada. I immediately noticed the billing. How can this be explained?

Attachment 11161

Is it really 1965? A google search of photos of the Supremes at The Cave shows Cindy Birdsong in the line up. I think the poster is later than '65 and has the wrong photo of DRATS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RossHolloway Guest
    Isn't that photo from circa 1966? I believe the women are all in the same wigs as in the photo for their HDH album.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Is it really 1965? A google search of photos of the Supremes at The Cave shows Cindy Birdsong in the line up. I think the poster is later than '65 and has the wrong photo of DRATS.
    I think that is the answer. They used a old photo of the group when these were printed up. Thank you masterblaster.

It can get confusing. There first few billings from Flamingo July 1967 on were The Supremes with Diana Ross.

Yeah, they have definitely used old Supremes photos for latter singles, posters, etc. Most likely in an effort to save on the time and costs and photoshoots. However, I have also seen very rare instances of the Supremes introduced as "Diana Ross and the..." pre-1967.

Wouldn't be surprising if they used old Supremes photos to promote DR&TS performances. In fact, I KNOW they were doing it because of the histories of groups who often had old photos used to promote their shows and the members weren't with the group anymore so it's common to see that type of poster.

I have an old poster saying Diana Ross and The Supremes with the Jackson 5 and has Flo on the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I have an old poster saying Diana Ross and The Supremes with the Jackson 5 and has Flo on the poster.
    That's just as bad as the poster I've seen promoting a concert starring Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. Problem is some of the songs listed came out after Sam's death.