[REMOVE ADS]

Rihanna beats Michael Jackson's chart record

I don't mind Rihanna but is she really that good? I find most of her music listenable but hardly essential. Will we still be talking about her music in 30/40 years time? I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't mind Rihanna but is she really that good? I find most of her music listenable but hardly essential. Will we still be talking about her music in 30/40 years time? I have my doubts.
    Generational bias?

Hey Marv!
    Not meant to be snarky towards you- but so what on Rihanna. I still content that the impact of Michael's career will last for decades vs. an artist like Rhianna. But, as Soulster mentioned below, probably generational bias! I wonder if today's younger folks are even familiar with Michael? Hope all is well.

Yes, the younger generation knows all about MJ, at least from "Thriller".

Rihanna has been around since the 90s, and has proven staying power. She's already a veteran artist who strives to keep her music fresh and relevant. When they get around to creating a greatest hits or anthology, it's going to be a whopper! She has definately made a place for herself in the history books.

Methinks some of you are out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv!
    Not meant to be snarky towards you- but so what on Rihanna. I still content that the impact of Michael's career will last for decades vs. an artist like Rhianna. But, as Soulster mentioned below, probably generational bias! I wonder if today's younger folks are even familiar with Michael? Hope all is well.
    I didn't write that article. In fact, I was surprised by it and chuckled a bit! It is a sure sign of how the quality of music artistry has declined in recent years. I don't even believe some people are buying music anymore. They are buying celebrity, a "name". Sure Rihanna can get a number one today by selling what? 200,000 copies, whereas in Michael's day a million seller did not guarantee a number one. There is less competition and lower expectations today.

Gawd you guys are out of touch!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Rihanna has been around since the 90s, and has proven staying power. She's already a veteran artist who strives to keep her music fresh and relevant. When they get around to creating a greatest hits or anthology, it's going to be a whopper! She has definately made a place for herself in the history books.

You may well be right when you say we are out of touch. I am not claiming Rihanna is without talent but I do not "feel" her music. When I saw her in concert she seemed to lack that special something that touches my soul. She was obviously mimimg to pre-recorded vocals for much of the time and when she did sing live she sounded flat and uninterested.
    If I am still around in 30 years time and Rihanna is still revered then as she is now then I will have to hold up my hands and say I was wrong, but for now I just don't get her, but fair play to you if you like her.

Rihanna was not around in the 90s. She first came on the scene in 2005. I didn't hear of her until 2007 and quickly forgot her until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Rihanna was not around in the 90s. She first came on the scene in 2005. I didn't hear of her until 2007 and quickly forgot her until recently.
    You're right there. For some reason, I remember it being the late 90s, but, there you have it. 2005.

Even so, just because you didn't keep up doesn't mean that she is insignificant in the music world. She has been releasing hit albums year after year, with her biggest being "Loud" from 2010, and i'm sure you've heard a lot of her songs, and just didn't realize it was her.

You're right there. For some reason, I remember it being the late 90s, but, there you have it. 2005.

Even so, just because you didn't keep up doesn't mean that she is insignificant in the music world. She has been releasing hit albums year after year, with her biggest being "Loud" from 2010, and i'm sure you've heard a lot of her songs, and just didn't realize it was her.

Who is saying that she is insignificant? Where are you reading that?

Consider this , the media used in those statistics have changed. Michael sold records and CD's , not downloads which didn't exist then. The numbers and charts IMO are flawed because of that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Consider this , the media used in those statistics have changed. Michael sold records and CD's , not downloads which didn't exist then. The numbers and charts IMO are flawed because of that reason.
    Not anymore. Downloads are officially included in the Billboard stats.

I watched her perform at the Brits the other night and her "performance" was as crude, trashy and lurid as expected as she constantly touched her crotch and simulated sex with the rapper Drake. Can you imagine Aretha, Diana, Gladys, Dionne, Patti, Anita, Streisand, Ella etc doing that? Would they have to do that to get attention?
    Sorry but whatever talent she may possess seems to be of secondary importance to having the ability to shock the audience. It's more about the image rather than the music and vocals.

Having hits does not mean that they're going to be remembered years down. Its about cultural impact, what that artist brings to the table, and how art reflects society in that current time. Not thinking Rihanna will be leaving a lasting legacy does not make people "out of touch." None of us are psychic. Until the test of time reveals itself, all we can do is guess.

Look at the Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls, or Nsync. They were HUGE back in the 90's and early 200's [[much bigger than Rihanna). That generation that grew up with them knows them, but not today's generation - at all. But they still know MJ's.

Also look at the Supremes: they had a hit with "The Happening," a number one no less, but that song has all but faded into oblivion.

My two cents is that Rihanna has not contributed anything of note in her career. She has had hits, yes, but nothing new or memorable. Her voice is less than unique, and she relies heavily on autotune, sex appeal, and stage effects to maintain her image. She is relevant to a certain part of the population, but it seems that too many people discredit her now for her to maintain cultural relevance in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Having hits does not mean that they're going to be remembered years down. Its about cultural impact, what that artist brings to the table, and how art reflects society in that current time. Not thinking Rihanna will be leaving a lasting legacy does not make people "out of touch." None of us are psychic. Until the test of time reveals itself, all we can do is guess.

Look at the Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls, or Nsync. They were HUGE back in the 90's and early 200's [[much bigger than Rihanna). That generation that grew up with them knows them, but not today's generation - at all. But they still know MJ's.

Also look at the Supremes: they had a hit with "The Happening," a number one no less, but that song has all but faded into oblivion.

My two cents is that Rihanna has not contributed anything of note in her career. She has had hits, yes, but nothing new or memorable. Her voice is less than unique, and she relies heavily on autotune, sex appeal, and stage effects to maintain her image. She is relevant to a certain part of the population, but it seems that too many people discredit her now for her to maintain cultural relevance in the coming years.
    See, I really do think your viewpoint is generationally biased. This younger generation will remember the songs down the line after you and I die off.

See, I really do think your viewpoint is generationally biased. This younger generation will remember the songs down the line after you and I die off.
    Maybe. Maybe not. Only time will tell but i tend to think that Adele will be the one of the current crop to attain icon status. She can sing Rihanna under the table and doesn't need the gimmicks, the trashy image, the lewd stage show and she doesn't sing to a pre recorded backing track.

Maybe. Maybe not. Only time will tell but i tend to think that Adele will be the one of the current crop to attain icon status. She can sing Rihanna under the table and doesn't need the gimmicks, the trashy image, the lewd stage show and she doesn't sing to a pre recorded backing track.
    Not if she doesn't loose all that weight.

You haven't heard much of Rihanna's music, have you? If you had, you wouldn't have made that claim.

Oh for god's sake! What the fuck does her weight have to do with anything? As long as she can sing, who cares what her weight is? I guess large people are the last group that people think is OK to criticize, insult, or shame.

What a nasty and unpleasant remark that is.
    It would appear that the general public do not seem to mind whether or not she should "loose" that weight.Her record sales suggest people are buying her music for the quality of her songs and vocals rather than how she looks and that should be how it is.
    Do we or did we ever judge Aretha on how much she weighed ? I know i didn't.
    Personal attacks on a persons appearance is uncalled for and has no place on thisforum

Oh for god's sake! What the fuck does her weight have to do with anything? As long as she can sing, who cares what her weight is? I guess large people are the last group that people think is OK to criticize, insult, or shame.
    Spot on soulster. We may disagree on Rihanna but i am with you 100% on this one.

You haven't heard much of Rihanna's music, have you? If you had, you wouldn't have made that claim.
    Actually soulster i have heard all of Rihanna's albums with the exception of the new one. I admit there are some decent tunes on these albums but not enough to inspire me. I have received 5 of her albums as gifts [[her most recent ones to be honest) and my daughter has them all so i am in a good enough position to judge.

Her health! She is too young to be walking around that big. I hope she doesn't go the way of Mama Cass Elliott.

What a nasty and unpleasant remark that is.
    It would appear that the general public do not seem to mind whether or not she should "loose" that weight.Her record sales suggest people are buying her music for the quality of her songs and vocals rather than how she looks and that should be how it is.
    Do we or did we ever judge Aretha on how much she weighed ? I know i didn't.
    Personal attacks on a persons appearance is uncalled for and has no place on thisforum

Aretha was not fat like this Adele at that age. Aretha even had two children by then and was not grossly obese as Adele is. She needs help. I can hear her crying out for it. Oh and let me tell you. She is NO Aretha Franklin! Not by any stretch of the imagination or full body girdle.

I think, I pointed out something that everyone knows but are afraid to say. If she wants a long career here in the U.S. , she'd better find a diet that works. Jennifer Hudson did it, Adele could too.

Bravo Soulster. Another thing you and me can agree on. Its just another form of bullying and cruelty. Adele looks fine and if she doesnt want to be a skinny size two then good for her. I think shes a great role model for women everywhere.

Aretha was not fat like this Adele at that age. Aretha even had two children by then and was not grossly obese as Adele is. She needs help. I can hear her crying out for it. Oh and let me tell you. She is NO Aretha Franklin! Not by any stretch of the imagination or full body girdle.
    "Grossly obese" you have not a lick of class or decency.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    "Grossly obese" you have not a lick of class or decency.
    Spot on! She is considerably lighter than she was when she started out and is not "grossly obese"

If you weren't being so unpleasant you would read that i was not comparing Aretha and Adele vocally. Kelly Clarkson appears to have gained some weight since having children but does that affect her vocals? Not in my book. Stop making personal attacks on concentrate on the vocals please.

If you weren't being so unpleasant you would read that i was not comparing Aretha and Adele vocally. Kelly Clarkson appears to have gained some weight since having children but does that affect her vocals? Not in my book. Stop making personal attacks on concentrate on the vocals please.
    Ok on her vocals. She has one more time to come on television and sound as horrible as did at the Grammys and she is dropping down to the B-level. There will be no more excuses for such poor vocals.

Ok on her vocals. She has one more time to come on television and sound as horrible as did at the Grammys and she is dropping down to the B-level. There will be no more excuses for such poor vocals.
    Somehow think not, Check out her performance on the Brits last week. She sounded fine, I didn't see the Grammys, and i seem to recall you saying that you didn't either but i think that was down to some technical hitch was it not?Either way she isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 19 million albums sold since November kind of backs up my statement. Never mind you can always have another go about her weight.
    That's me for today. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and remember manners cost nothing.

I think, I pointed out something that everyone knows but are afraid to say. If she wants a long career here in the U.S. , she'd better find a diet that works. Jennifer Hudson did it, Adele could too.
    Man, you're disgusting! I'm through with you, not just for this, but for other recent comments you've made about women.

Man, you're disgusting! I'm through with you, not just for this, but for other recent comments you've made about women.
    I'm disgusting? She's disgusting. Men like something pretty to look at as they are listening to a woman sing! Which is why woman try to look their best on stage!

I'm disgusting? She's disgusting. Men like something pretty to look at as they are listening to a woman sing! Which is why woman try to look their best on stage!
    You are a total mysoginist and your constant bashing of women and your disgusting blatent sexism would get you banned from most forums. You give this forum such a bad name and why Ralph puts up with your BS is beyond comprehenssion ban. You are responsible for driving so many people from this here forum. You must be real real unhappy.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 02-28-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Dude! Women aren't here for mens pleasure. Sure! I'm a guy. I love to look at women. But, they aren't doing it just for us.

1) Some people, for medical reasons, including childbirth, cannot be pencil-thin. Hell, that's not even the beauty standard anymore.

2) The reason so many women have a negative self-body image is because of the image our society has imposed on them. Lots of parents even do this, and women carry around the idea that they are worthless because of their weight all of their lives. Remember Karen Carpenter? The critics wouldn't talk about her singing or her drumming. They were too obsessed with her weight, and she developed anorexia and died. And, do you know that there are a myriad of reasons a person has extra weight? It isn't about laziness, or eating too much. We should appreciate people for what they are. Concentrate on what's inside. Adele is, by all accounts, a really great person. Talk about that! She's happily married and just had a kid. Her husband's happy, and i'm sure he doesn't make asinine comments about her weight.

3) Most men who don't have hangups about women like some extra meat on 'em. More squeezin' for the pleasin'. More cushion for the pushin'!

If I had to pick some of these skinny-ass model or actor types over someone like Adele, i'd pick Adele every time!

You'd do yourself better to avoid ignorant-ass comments about women's body sizes. It makes you look like a misogynist.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-28-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Sometimes there are just no words to describe how I feel when reading something like this. I despair, I really do.

Dude! Women aren't here for mens pleasure. Sure! I'm a guy. I love to look at women. But, they aren't doing it just for us.

1) Some people, for medical reasons, including childbirth, cannot be pencil-thin. Hell, that's not even the beauty standard anymore.

2) The reason so many women have a negative self-body image is because of the image our society has imposed on them. Lots of parents even do this, and women carry around the idea that they are worthless because of their weight all of their lives. Remember Karen Carpenter? The critics wouldn't talk about her singing or her drumming. They were too obsessed with her weight, and she developed anorexia and died. And, do you know that there are a myriad of reasons a person has extra weight? It isn't about laziness, or eating too much. We should appreciate people for what they are. Concentrate on what's inside. Adele is, by all accounts, a really great person. Talk about that! She's happily married and just had a kid. Her husband's happy, and i'm sure he doesn't make asinine comments about her weight.

3) Most men who don't have hangups about women like some extra meat on 'em. More squeezin' for the pleasin'. More cushion for the pushin'!

If I had to pick some of these skinny-ass model or actor types over someone like Adele, i'd pick Adele every time!

You'd do yourself better to avoid ignorant-ass comments about women's body sizes. It makes you look like a misogynist.
    soulster - Adele is indeed a great person to know. She is warm, witty, rude and very humble. She is very shy and does not crave publicity and the limelight. I have known her since 2008 and can say that she has been very upset by pathetic morons like Marv who direct their hatred and venom to a personal level. Adele is very sensitive and would be the first to acknowledge that she needed to lose some weight which she duly did. TV adds pounds to your weight and in the flesh there is no way she is obese. As a friend I feel I have to defend my friend who would be devastated if she happened to read some of the bile posted on here, and she has been known to check out this forum from time to time.
    I am so annoyed by these personal attacks and there should be no place on this forum for such bigoted pond life. Disgusted does not even begin to cover it.

soulster - Adele is indeed a great person to know. She is warm, witty, rude and very humble. She is very shy and does not crave publicity and the limelight. I have known her since 2008 and can say that she has been very upset by pathetic morons like Marv who direct their hatred and venom to a personal level. Adele is very sensitive and would be the first to acknowledge that she needed to lose some weight which she duly did. TV adds pounds to your weight and in the flesh there is no way she is obese. As a friend I feel I have to defend my friend who would be devastated if she happened to read some of the bile posted on here, and she has been known to check out this forum from time to time.
    I am so annoyed by these personal attacks and there should be no place on this forum for such bigoted pond life. Disgusted does not even begin to cover it.
    Im also stunned and disgusted and shocked and saddened that he gets a free pass on his vile hatred and sexism and bigoted comments about plus size women. It speak volumes about his character or lack of it and his own internal self loathing. smh just smh.

If I am a moron, you're a bigger one!

Im also stunned and disgusted and shocked and saddened that he gets a free pass on his vile hatred and sexism and bigoted comments about plus size women. It speak volumes about his character or lack of it and his own internal self loathing. smh just smh.

You're just plain weird.

You're just plain weird.
    And you are warped and disturbed. The decent thing would be to apologize for the disgusting comments you made yesterday but I guess thats just too much to ask.

There's tons of guys [[no pun intended) who would take Adele in a nanosecond if she were single.

BTW, a properly adjusted LCD, LED, or plasma TV will not add weight to the body. That was only true in the old CRT days where screens had some degree of curvature.

Well, remember that we aren't supposed to be bashing forum members anymore. My criticism is about what Marv said. He also made a little snide comment about me a few weeks ago, and he probably didn't think I caught it. And I saw recently where hs started some shit in some thread.

Marv, I had your back for a long time, but you're making it impossible for me to keep supporting you. I'm starting to think your detractors were right all along.

honest man Guest
    well, remember that we aren't supposed to be bashing forum members anymore. My criticism is about what marv said. He also made a little snide comment about me a few weeks ago, and he probably didn't think i caught it. And i saw recently where hs started some shit in some thread.

Marv, i had your back for a long time, but you're making it impossible for me to keep supporting you. I'm starting to think your detractors were right all along.
    this person keeps getting away with it,i notified ralph last night about his offensive manner ,what goes on here,

Adele is an overweight singer and as far as I can tell is hyped up beyond her true abilities. She is a studio artist.

Whatever. Give me some chubby chicks!

Ahem! Anyway, I think Rihanna and Adele are on the same level as far as singing ability is concerned. They both have unique [[or annoying) vocal quirks. But, I can listen to Rihanna a lot longer than I can Adele.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-29-2016 at 09:15 PM.

If I am a moron, you're a bigger one!
    What a delightfully mature response. Your family must be so proud of you.