[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary Wilson's Solo Motown Album

We all know that this album has never been released on CD. However, have any of the tracks from this album ever appeared on some Motown CD compilation?

I would like to make a MARY WILSON EXPANDED MOTOWN CD for my car [[smile) and have been trying to think what to include. I do not necessarily want DMF/C tracks where Mary sang the lead.

Any ideas? There is nothing on iTunes.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 02-20-2016 at 12:30 AM.

My fave is I Keep It Hid on jimmy Webb album. Also one One night with you , Life's been Good To Me

Under Any Moon, One Night with You, Don't Let The Teardrops, Live At The Sands

Thanks luke and motownmaniac. I was actually looking for tracks from Mary's solo Motown LP that have appeared here and there on CD compilations [[rather than pulled from vinyl. Also, Mary's RED HOT extended or unreleased tracks from this time period, etc.

In other words, an EXPANDED edition of this particular LP, not tracks from other periods of Mary's career .
    Last edited by longtimefan; 02-20-2016 at 12:31 AM.

You're The Light That Guides My Way
    http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Survivors...ul+survivors+2

Pick Up The Pieces is on Motown Year By Year: 1980

"Pick Up the Pieces" was on a Motown Compilation for the year 1980. There was a series of releases by year.

I have the Vinyl l.p. somewhere and I have to admit I haven't listened to it in years. I would be interested if there was an expanded CD with the tracks Mary recorded for the follow-up which never had a release as long as Mary is still performing she could promote a release

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    We all know that this album has never been released on CD. However, have any of the tracks from this album ever appeared on some Motown CD compilation?

I would like to make a MARY WILSON EXPANDED MOTOWN CD for my car [[smile) and have been trying to think what to include. I do not necessarily want DMF/C tracks where Mary sang the lead.

Any ideas? There is nothing on iTunes.
    I would definitely include "Turn Around" from 1996.

The material on Mary's first solo album didn't suit her voice. She needed tracks like the ones she sang on High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. I do wish they completed the shelved second album she was working on with Gus Dudgeon. She shines on those four unreleased tracks. I actually think "Save Me" and "Love Talk" could have been hits.

I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The material on Mary's first solo album didn't suit her voice. She needed tracks like the ones she sang on High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. I do wish they completed the shelved second album she was working on with Gus Dudgeon. She shines on those four unreleased tracks. I actually think "Save Me" and "Love Talk" could have been hits.
    You are totally correct. SAVE ME, LOVE TALK, YOU DANCED MY HEART AROUND THE STARS, and GREEN RIVER will be on my personal "expanded edition" of Mary's MOTOWN solo recordings.

TURN AROUND, etc., are from another era .... but thanks anyway!

Someone is offering this compilation:

Attachment 11131

Here's the track list for the above:
    ary Wilson
    The Singles + The Unreleased
    2 SILVER INKJET CD-R SET
    INSERTS & DUAL CD CASE INCLUDED
    Disc 1

01. Can't Take my Eyes off Of You [[LIVE, 1969) [[Feat. The Supremes)
    02. Send Him To Me [[Unreleased, 1970)
    03. Red Hot [[1979)
    04. Red Hot [[7 Inch Version, 1979)
    05. Red Hot [[Disco Version, 1979)
    06. Midnight Dancer [[B-Side, 1979)
    07. Pick Up The Pieces [[U.K. Single, 1980)
    08. You're the Light That Guides My Way [[U.K. B-Side, 1980)
    09. You Danced My Heart Around The Stars [[Unreleased, 1980)
    10. Love Talk [[LIVE "The Black Stage With Julius Johnson") [[Unreleased, 1981)
    11. Save Me [[LIVE "The Black Stage With Julius Johnson") [[Unreleased, 1981)
    12. Green River [[LIVE "The Black Stage With Julius Johnson") [[Unreleased, 1981)
    13. Come See About Me [[Neil Sedaka Feat. Mary Wilson, 1983)
    14. My Love Life Is A Disaster [[Unreleased Demo, 1985)

Disc 2

01. This Girl's Back In Town [[Extended 12 inch Mix) [[Paul Jabara Feat. Mary Wilson, 1986)
    02. The One I Love [[Unreleased, 1987)
    03. Sleeping In Separate Rooms [[Unreleased, 1987)
    04. Don’t Get Mad, Get Even [[U.K. Single, 1987)
    05. Oooh Child [[1989)
    06. One Night With You [[1992)
    07. Walk the Line [[1992)
    08. U [[1995)
    09. U [[R'n'B Mix) [[1995)
    10. U [[Dancehall Mix) [[1995)
    11. It's Time To Move On [[2000)
    12. Life's Been Good To Me [[2011)
    13. Darling Mother [[Johnnie Mae) [[2013)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3EmygadLXpE Neil sounds awful and it doesn't sound like Mary to me. Come See About Me

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3EmygadLXpE Neil sounds awful and it doesn't sound like Mary to me. Come See About Me
    I didn't care for that too much either. I like how Mary does it with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    100% correct!! It was a poor album that did Mary no favours. Motown just wanted rid of Mary and gave her totally unsuitable material. It was most disappointing after the sterling work she did on the final 3 Supremes albums. I really wanted to like that album but there is an old saying "you cannot polish a turd".

And still this album remains unreleased and reissued on cd.
    yet we have Flo's, Jean's and even Scherrie & Susaye's, all the 70s Supremes albums but not this one
    strange when Motown usually cash in
    irrespective weather you like it or not it needs to be released for completions sake... Or maybe Motown still have MW blackballed

I wondered that too but aren't the blackballers out of the picture now?

I wondered that too but aren't the blackballers out of the picture now?

There is no one blackballing Mary Wilson.

Then if there isn't there's no explanation as it'd sell on the supremes connection alone if we can have Jeans, Flo's and Scherrie & Susaye and all the 70s supremes albums then there's no plausible reason as to why has not been reissued

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Then if there isn't there's no explanation as it'd sell on the supremes connection alone if we can have Jeans, Flo's and Scherrie & Susaye and all the 70s supremes albums then there's no plausible reason as to why has not been reissued

I agree with you 1000% trust me. I got tired of waiting and created my own CD of the album years ago.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Hopefully it will remain in vaults a load of trash not worthy of release ,they should release more worthy Artists than this rubbish,IMO,Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Hopefully it will remain in vaults a load of trash not worthy of release ,they should release more worthy Artists than this rubbish,IMO,Cheers.
    It is not in the vaults smart guy. It was released in 1979. Only trash I see around here is in the talking you do!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    it is not in the vaults smart guy. It was released in 1979. Only trash i see around here is in the talking you do!
    it's in the cd vault ok not so smart-bright guy.

honest man Guest
    It is not in the vaults smart guy. It was released in 1979. Only trash I see around here is in the talking you do!
    Oh BTW Ralph can you see this remark and you wonder why people get cheesed off with a certain person on SDF,

I love Mary but this was one dog of an album. It should never have seen the light of day in the first place, and i think the main reason why it has not come out on cd is because it was a wretched album that only a handful of stalwards would buy out of duty. Fool that i am i would consider buying it out of duty though i doubt that i would ever play it. The stuff in the vaults must surely be better than the songs on the original album.and if they could be included it may not be a total disaster after all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NdJhVVAKCE You make me feel so good. Live from album Mary Wilson

it's in the cd vault ok not so smart-bright guy.
    Why are you here? Why do you care? If it is released on CD, will you die?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NdJhVVAKCE You make me feel so good. Live from album Mary Wilson
    Yes! I love her performance of "You Make Me Feel So Good". Here she does "Midnight Dancer " live . Mary is gettin' it! :

honest man Guest
    Why are you here? Why do you care? If it is released on CD, will you die?
    firstly i am here the same reason as you2 i care as resources would be better used on quality Motown products not crap3 you mostly have more chance of dying before its released, cheers

firstly i am here the same reason as you2 i care as resources would be better used on quality Motown products not crap3 you mostly have more chance of dying before its released, cheers
    It's not your money, stay out of it. Let those who want the album issued on CD enjoy it!

I agree there are far worthier albums crying out to be reissued but if it does happen to come out [[which i doubt) it won't affect you or i in any way, and if it makes other people happy then so be it.

honest man Guest
    it's not your money, stay out of it. Let those who want the album issued on cd enjoy it!
    i would rather money was ploughed into other worthy projects- no i won't stay out of it this is a forum [not just for your opinion] get it ,no thanks

Yes many people here love the Supremes and would like to have their their solo material...Cindy, Diana, Mary Jean etc.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebrock View Post
    i agree there are far worthier albums crying out to be reissued but if it does happen to come out [[which i doubt) it won't affect you or i in any way, and if it makes other people happy then so be it.
    as i have said before i am voicing my opinion and rather money was put into more worthwhile projects so it does affect me.ok

as i have said before i am voicing my opinion and rather money was put into more worthwhile projects so it does affect me.ok
    And of course you are entitled to your opinion which i do agree with. In a perfect world we would get some worthwhile gems by the likes of Thelma, Originals, High Inergy, O.C. Smith etc and those who desire Mary's album would also get their wish. Out of interest what would you like to see given a reissue?

You know what I find odd is that Diana's brother, T-Boy Ross's album Changes, released about this same HAS been issued on CD. I remember reading that sales of the album were only 12,000 copies. I'm sure Mary's album sold more because I did buy a copy when It came out even though I was working for Peaches Records and could have had a promo lp. I wanted to support sales for Mary. Plus around this same time as well was Partners and that is out on CD as well. Not sure how many that sold. I again purchased a copy to support Scherrie and Susaye. So why not Mary's album on CD ?

Since this was at the beginning of Mary's solo, I do agree that there are others that Mary recorded that are better. With all the material the ladies of the Supremes recorded both as a grouping and solo, they had some duds and some that sold medium and some best sellers. Everyone also has their own opinions as to what they liked. Have to admit that some that they recorded years ago that i didn't listen to much, have gone and listened to again since I'm putting everything on a computer and stuff that I didn't like then, I do now like better. Haven't listened to this album in ages and would love to hear it digitally to form a better opinion.

Yes, there is also much out there that hasn't been re-released digitally that I would love to get. Plus, there is even some unusual stuff that I would like to hear anyway. Things such as the instrumental tracks that NEVER got vocals. The Around the World album and the 2 or 3 Christmas cuts like Santa Baby that didn't get vocals. Or the Diana & Marvin duet, Love Me For A Reason that only got Marvin's vocals.

Time will tell whatever else does come out and if we ever get this one.
    Last edited by greg jones; 02-29-2016 at 10:43 PM.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    You know what I find odd is that Diana's brother, T-Boy Ross's album Changes, released about this same HAS been issued on CD. I remember reading that sales of the album were only 12,000 copies. I'm sure Mary's album sold more because I did buy a copy when It came out even though I was working for Peaches Records and could have had a promo cd. I wanted to support sales for Mary. Plus around this same time as well was Partners and that is out on CD as well. Not sure how many that sold. I again purchased a copy to support Scherrie and Susaye. So why not Mary's album on CD ?

Since this was at the beginning of Mary's solo, I do agree that there are others that Mary recorded that are better. With all the material the ladies of the Supremes recorded both as a grouping and solo, they had some duds and some that sold medium and some best sellers. Everyone also has their own opinions as to what they liked. Have to admit that some that they recorded years ago that i didn't listen to much, have gone and listened to again since I'm putting everything on a computer and stuff that I didn't like then, I do now like better. Haven't listened to this album in ages and would love to hear it digitally to form a better opinion.

Yes, there is also much out there that hasn't been re-released digitally that I would love to get. Plus, there is even some unusual stuff that I would like to hear anyway. Things such as the instrumental tracks that NEVER got vocals. The Around the World album and the 2 or 3 Christmas cuts like Santa Baby that didn't get vocals. Or the Diana & Marvin duet, Love Me For A Reason that only got Marvin's vocals.

Time will tell whatever else does come out.
    Hello Greg THE AROUND THE WORLD has officially been released on cd a few years ago,what xmas cuts are still in vaults santa baby who recorded it,yes would love the Diana And Marvin solo recordings released also. cheers

Hello Greg THE AROUND THE WORLD has officially been released on cd a few years ago,what xmas cuts are still in vaults santa baby who recorded it,yes would love the Diana And Marvin solo recordings released also. cheers
    I am confused. What does this have to do with Mary's solo album? You might want to check the SDF guidelines as to how too initiate a new thread with a new topic.

Thanks luke and motownmaniac. I was actually looking for tracks from Mary's solo Motown LP that have appeared here and there on CD compilations [[rather than pulled from vinyl. Also, Mary's RED HOT extended or unreleased tracks from this time period, etc.

In other words, an EXPANDED edition of this particular LP, not tracks from other periods of Mary's career .
    I agree. I would really rather have expanded tracks and any songs that were recorded during those sessions that have not yet been released included.

honest man, you're probably thinking of the song Around The World In 80 days which is an outtake from A Tribute To The Girls and released on There's A Place For Us CD. What I'm referring to is the planned album Around The World With The Supremes where the sang International songs. Things like Volare, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Danke Schoen, Sukiyaki, etc. The Instrumental and rhythm tracks for all 12 songs were completed and the album just got no vocals. This has been verified. Andy and George even verified a couple of the instrumentals from Merry Christmas that didn't get vocals. The one that they said that they disappointed about was Santa Baby.

I'm saying that these instrumental tracks without vocals are interesting just to listen to as instrumental and what they could have been, if the vocals had been. I know that is stretching it, but there are few of us would find the instrumentals interesting to hear. There is awful lot that was started by Motown that didn't come to fruition or completion.

I am confused. What does this have to do with Mary's solo album? You might want to check the SDF guidelines as to how too initiate a new thread with a new topic.
    longtimefan, this has to do with all that any members of the Supremes recorded during their careers, whether as the group or solo and what is in the vaults that hasn't been released on vinyl or cd. Just as the Gus Dudgeon songs aren't specifically from the Mary Wilson solo album or Mary's vocals of Can't Take My Eyes Off You, studio and live versions while with the Supremes. The Gus Dudgeon songs were the start of follow up album that was never completed just there are many other Supremes albums that were never finished or came to fruition.

P.S., Yes, I do understand that most fans, myself included, would not want to have songs from other periods released as extras on Mary's solo album. I'm only trying to point what other stuff is in the vaults that it would be nice to get released on other things. On the Motown Karoake series we did get the instrumental tracks of 18 Supremes songs, so instrumentals do have some merit.
    Last edited by greg jones; 02-29-2016 at 10:05 PM.

longtimefan, this has to do with all that any members of the Supremes recorded during their careers, whether as the group or solo and what is in the vaults that hasn't been released on vinyl or cd. Just as the Gus Dudgeon songs aren't specifically from the Mary Wilson solo album or Mary's vocals of Can't Take My Eyes Off You, studio and live versions while with the Supremes. The Gus Dudgeon songs were the start of follow up album that was never completed just there are many other Supremes albums that were never finished or came to fruition.

P.S., Yes, I do understand that most fans, myself included, would not want to have songs from other periods released as extras on Mary's solo album. I'm only trying to point what other stuff is in the vaults that it would be nice to get released on other things. On the Motown Karoake series we did get the instrumental tracks of 18 Supremes songs, so instrumentals do have some merit.

No Greg, I am sorry but this particular thread was about the "Mary Wilson" album from 1979 that has yet to see a authorized CD release.

honest man Guest
    honest man, you're probably thinking of the song Around The World In 80 days which is an outtake from A Tribute To The Girls and released on There's A Place For Us CD. What I'm referring to is the planned album Around The World With The Supremes where the sang International songs. Things like Volare, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Danke Schoen, Sukiyaki, etc. The Instrumental and rhythm tracks for all 12 songs were completed and the album just got no vocals. This has been verified. Andy and George even verified a couple of the instrumentals from Merry Christmas that didn't get vocals. The one that they said that they disappointed about was Santa Baby.

I'm saying that these instrumental tracks without vocals are interesting just to listen to as instrumental and what they could have been, if the vocals had been. I know that is stretching it, but there are few of us would find the instrumentals interesting to hear. There is awful lot that was started by Motown that didn't come to fruition or completion.
    OK Back to the unreleased stuff ,Greg i was confused with Motown Around The World cd which was motown songs sung in foriegn languages,yes the DRATS around the world. i read the vocals where not completed for this album bit of a bummer hey,never mind we will have More Motown Guys Vol 2 soon,but thank you all the same for your help it's what SDF is all about ,cheers.

A friend sent me the mp3 tracks from Mary Wilson which were ripped from an album. I wasn't hot on the album when it was released but I enjoyed more of the tracks after the re-listen. There is some nice music on this LP but, frankly, they should have come up with better material for Mary. I would love to have cleaned up tracks to add to my collection.

Well said. I enjoyed more too after registering. Material too disco

The album has some clearance hurdles to get over. Andy mentioned last year on the radio that they hoped to get those issues finally resolved soon so that it can finally come out. It's not the big conspiracy that some fans have come up with....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    The album has some clearance hurdles to get over.
    I would love to know what those hurdles are. It would seem a straight forward Motown reissue, but who knows what underlying factors are hiding there! My guess is that many of the releases we pine for as digital tracks [[okay, cd's!) may be held up with rights issues. And someone has to want to wade through all the red tape to get clearances. Thank goodness we have people like Andy who want to get these out enough to put up with the red tape.

This was one of my favorite cuts from the album. It was released as a single in the U. K., "Pick Up the Pieces":

Doesn't make sense. Partners came out in Japan. Even Mary herself has said she doesn't understand why it hasn't come out.