[REMOVE ADS]

EXCLUSIVE: Natalie Cole's Family Outraged Over GRAMMYs' 'Disrespectful' Tribute

EXCLUSIVE: Natalie Cole's Family Outraged Over GRAMMYs' 'Disrespectful' Tribute to Late Singer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gramm...id=ansmsnent11

The sad thing is they could have done one but felt that she was marginal, which she clearly was not. If they didn't realize it or feel compelled to do one, then it simply shows their true opinion of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The sad thing is they could have done one but felt that she was marginal, which she clearly was not. If they didn't realize it or feel compelled to do one, then it simply shows their true opinion of her.
    A 9 time Grammy winner and she was treated like that. I am glad now I did not watch.

Simply disgraceful. THE GRAMMYS marginalized her. 9 Grammys and an amazingly electtic artist who survived a kidney transplant and a nightmare of addiction. I better stop here or I'm liable to go over the line.

I did not watch the show, which I realize takes away my right to an opinion, and I am not defending the show, but is it possible that she passed so recently that they simply did not have time to prepare and include a tribute? Surely every minute of these shows has to be planned months in advance.

I see the same reactions sometimes in magazines like People and Entertainment Weekly. Things like "Why did you put Britney Spears on the cover instead of so and so when she passed away?" and I always think to myself that people should realize that an entire weekly magazine cannot be put together and then changed at the last minute.

So maybe the Grammys can give Natalie a fitting tribute next year or maybe there can even be a special show devoted just to her. I would not be surprised to learn that someone is already cooking up an idea.

9-time Grammy Award winner and first black woman to win Grammy for Album of the Year -- the single most coveted award. In addition, she was a great friend to the Grammy Award organization, she appeared on the show several times and stopped it about a decade or so ago with "Mr Paganini" her tribute to Ella.

They just needed 3 performers to do a medley. Lalah Hathaway won last night she could have been part of the tribute. Esperanza Spalding? Ledisi? It's not just a marginalization of Natalie, it is a marginalization of traditional soul and jazz. Hip-hop has taken over as the "black" music form for the masses..

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I did not watch the show, which I realize takes away my right to an opinion, and I am not defending the show, but is it possible that she passed so recently that they simply did not have time to prepare and include a tribute? Surely every minute of these shows has to be planned months in advance.

I see the same reactions sometimes in magazines like People and Entertainment Weekly. Things like "Why did you put Britney Spears on the cover instead of so and so when she passed away?" and I always think to myself that people should realize that an entire weekly magazine cannot be put together and then changed at the last minute.

So maybe the Grammys can give Natalie a fitting tribute next year or maybe there can even be a special show devoted just to her. I would not be surprised to learn that someone is already cooking up an idea.
    Actually what you say is true...The segments are planned out in December and pretty well settled by early January so they can chart out the telecast...I notice they did slip in a short tribute to Maurice White, but as for the major segments...they're planned well in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    EXCLUSIVE: Natalie Cole's Family Outraged Over GRAMMYs' 'Disrespectful' Tribute to Late Singer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gramm...id=ansmsnent11
    It;s not exclusive. I read the same thing on The Grio this morning.

On the program, Glenn Frey, David Bowie and Maurice White were honored in performance. So were B.B. King and Lemmy from Motorhead. The "In Memoriam" segment concluded with a very nice, long clip of Natalie singing "Unforgettable." But for all of those other artists being honored with a performance, I think they did her justice in the "In Memoriam." However, I understand her family's disappointment and think they really should have included a performance for Natalie.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

Some of the performers that were given tributes died after Natalie, so I don't think timing was an issue. With the exception of Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie, the tributes weren't elaborate. As someone wrote above, they could have gotten three or four modern R&B divas, and had them sing some of Natalie's hits, while footage of her Grammy performances played in the background.

That said, I don't envy the producer [[s) when making calls like this. You are bound to disappoint someone. A tribute special devoted Natalie is a nice idea, but I wonder if a network would go for it.
    Last edited by reese; 02-17-2016 at 10:00 AM.

It's amazing that so many huge talents are gone in such a short period. Natalie Cole [[Jazz/R&B/Pop), Maurice White [[R&B/Funk/Pop), Glenn Frey [[Rock/Country), David Bowie [[Rock/Pop/Glam/New Wave), and Lemmy [[Metal) are among the most iconic names in music of the last 40 years and each was incredibly influential on singers who followed. Sadly, I don't think this is going to be a trend.

There are people who are trying to say Lemmy was more important than Natalie Cole. Sometimes I wonder what planet they live on.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    There are people who are trying to say Lemmy was more important than Natalie Cole. Sometimes I wonder what planet they live on.
    I'm sorry, but I don't even know who Lemmy is.

No disrespect intended, but in my opinion, he was not more significant than Natalie Cole. Metal is at best a fringe genre and Lemmy didn't represent it as impactfully as Ozzy or James Hetfield do. If Lemmy got a tribute, I wonder why in the world they ignored Ronnie James Dio when he died.

No disrespect intended, but in my opinion, he was not more significant than Natalie Cole. Metal is at best a fringe genre and Lemmy didn't represent it as impactfully as Ozzy or James Hetfield do. If Lemmy got a tribute, I wonder why in the world they ignored Ronnie James Dio when he died.

You know what it is, right? It's another aspect of the culture war they keep waging. The world is changing and they can't deal with it.

I know what it is. What bugs me, though, is that when BET or the NAACP recognize people of color who work in the arts, they are accused of being racist for honoring artists that the mainstream chose to ignore. Why should they care? So, if we aren't good enough for their club, we shouldn't start our own?

I wish Black people understood the strength of economics when it comes to effecting change. I'm tired of hearing about people asking for handouts when a huge amount of the money that drives the industry comes out of our pockets. If most of the money that we spend on movie tickets dried up, you'd see true diversity and fair opportunity in Hollywood.

Agreed. Natalie had far more widespread appeal than Lemmy. She could do so many genres, and do them well. Lemmy no disrespect intended was a heavy metal dude, probably very good at what he did but certainly not an artist to have universal appeal.

I know what it is. What bugs me, though, is that when BET or the NAACP recognize people of color who work in the arts, they are accused of being racist for honoring artists that the mainstream chose to ignore. Why should they care? So, if we aren't good enough for their club, we shouldn't start our own?

I wish Black people understood the strength of economics when it comes to effecting change. I'm tired of hearing about people asking for handouts when a huge amount of the money that drives the industry comes out of our pockets. If most of the money that we spend on movie tickets dried up, you'd see true diversity and fair opportunity in Hollywood.
    I heard recently that 47% of movie tickets sold are to African Americans.

And yet, Denzel Washington gets trashed by Sony Execs in those released e-mails as a proven overseas draw, but not a great domestic draw so even though his movies make money, they're unhappy with HOW they make it. Consequently, they have a BS excuse to low ball him on contracts. In the meantime, his movie for them "The Equalizer" did well enough at the box office that they have a sequel coming out.

And for last weekend's box office, the only films with Black lead actors in them are "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "Ride Along 2". We are an afterthought, just like our money is taken for granted. I'm a huge brother of the Coen Brothers, but I refuse to pay to see "Hail Caesar" because the only people of color in the cast are a couple of Asian actors who portray Chinese restaurant employees. I can't do that anymore.

Public Enemy had it right when they said "Burn Hollywood, Burn!"