[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grammys have no plans to broadcast tributes to Natalie Cole or Maurice White

Per NY Post. Unlike planned full scale tributes to Glenn Frey and David Bowie. Cole and White will be part of a video package tribute. And life achievement award for Run-DMC Wil not be televised. Due to pressure something for Maurice White may be done. "It's still in limbo."one music industry source said "people are afraid to speak on it but there's a history of them not acknowledging black artists."

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Per NY Post. Unlike planned full scale tributes to Glenn Frey and David Bowie. Cole and White will be part of a video package tribute. And life achievement award for Run-DMC Wil not be televised. Due to pressure something for Maurice White may be done. "It's still in limbo."one music industry source said "people are afraid to speak on it but there's a history of them not acknowledging black artists."
    They will have plenty of time for "special crap" designed to stir up controversy though. I am not watching the Grammys!

I'm not watching them. I'm a fan of Bowie and Frey, but Maurice White and Natalie Cole took their hardware home and deserve more than a mention of being among the artists who passed since last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm not watching them. I'm a fan of Bowie and Frey, but Maurice White and Natalie Cole took their hardware home and deserve more than a mention of being among the artists who passed since last year.
    I loved and respected all of those artists. The problem is the Grammys doesn't!

I guess it remains to be seen. I saw a commercial for the Grammys this morning and they showed footage of Maurice. I was in another room, so I didn't hear the audio. It may have been a promo for the Lifetime Achievement Award that EWF is slated to receive. But it still seems more than what most lifetime achievement award recipients get.

thomas96 Guest
    Never cared for the Grammy's, Academy Awards, etc. Too bad they won't do a tribute to Ms. Cole and Mr. White, but they won't be getting my view.

The Grammy's have become a horse and pony show after the late 70's IMO. Maybe because I'm 60 and from whatI remember the Grammy was based on a combination of sales , popularity and talent. Then it was a different time in music , the media it was available on [[which were records and tapes and later CD's) and airplay. Records suffered back in the 70's with the oil crisis and then in the 80's they shoved the Digital CD's down the public's throat. I remember how I was amazed when you couldn't get releases on vinyl at all. With CD's on the way out ,there's nothing but numbers of downloads and ring tones . Grammy's today are based too much on hype because the music today is so saturated with "Showbiz". Tits ,ass and sales will get you a Grammy. They would be better off backtracking and giving the artists that should have got Grammy's back in the day and didn't and educating the kids so they know better than to think that Kanye West discovered Paul M. The Grammy's need to change with the times BUT also represent and educate the history of music. To not honor White and Ms Cole as icons in a respectful fashion is disrespectful to me because they both were artists who made music history during the period when the big 3 record companies took over the Black Music market. It {GRAMMY} just don't carry the respect it once had with me. If I remember when it's on I might flip back and forth but the Grammy's now just make me enjoy my collection of real music i collected over the years.

I haven't cared about the Grammys in over 25 years. I don't even need them to acknowledge
    Maurice and Natalie for me to celebrate their legacies. F##k em....

What can you expect from an industry run by White men?

Cheap shot Soulster.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Cheap shot Soulster.
    No, it's not intended to be a cheap shot, but it's a cold hard fact. Allow me to explain why:

I'm not saying that the industry doesn't care, but the perception is that David Bowie and Glenn Frey are more visible, better known, and more popular than Maurice White or Natalie Cole. They are better known to the majority who run the industry and the Academy. And, most of the people in charge of the Academy are, well, White men, and that's what they are more familiar with. That is why Frey and Bowie get special attention, while the other two are lumped in together. I get David Bowie, but there's no way that Glenn Frey did more, and was more important than Maurice White.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-15-2016 at 04:52 PM.

As reported due to criticisms they may come up with something for Maurice, or maybe even Natalie I'm thinking.

Its the "white guy" remark that offended me. I'm White. Do you include me in their category?

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Its the "white guy" remark that offended me. I'm White. Do you include me in their category?
    I know you're White, and of course not! I overreacted. Sorry 'bout that.

What irks me is that Earth, Wind & Fire were the same status as The Eagles and David Bowie as far as chart and sales success is concerned, so why they wouldn't give Mr. White as much exposure as the other two is upsetting. During the 70s, Glenn Frey only worked within his band. Maurice White was a drummer for Chess Records in the 60s who played on major hits, had his own band with whom he wrote, produced, and performed, including several other artists. His sound influenced many other artists. On top of all that, Frey isn't the best liked person, and had a reputation for being a real dick to some of his bandmates. One viewing of the second DVD of their documentary will show that.

Update: It appears that EWF is on the Grammys tonight, so that NY Post is wrong. I should know not to trust anything in the NY Post!
    Last edited by soulster; 02-15-2016 at 11:35 PM.

I haven't watched the grammys but did they have a proper tribute to Maurice White and Natalie Cole? I saw a clip of a tribute to Lemmy from Motorhead. No disrespect to the guy but he is not even in the same universe as Maurice and Natalie as far as talent is concerned.
    Just my opinion of course. I have no problem with Bowie and Glenn Frey. Both major talents in my opinion . Also BB King.
    You are never going to please everyone whatever their colour and creed.

Grammy bowed to pressure and did a brief tribute song led by Stevie Wonder for Maurice.

Nothing but fake premature outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I haven't watched the grammys but did they have a proper tribute to Maurice White and Natalie Cole? I saw a clip of a tribute to Lemmy from Motorhead. No disrespect to the guy but he is not even in the same universe as Maurice and Natalie as far as talent is concerned.
    Just my opinion of course. I have no problem with Bowie and Glenn Frey. Both major talents in my opinion . Also BB King.
    You are never going to please everyone whatever their colour and creed.
    As written above, Steve Wonder and Pentatonix did a nice version of THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD as a tribute to Maurice. Later, EWF mentioned Maurice before they presented the Album of the Year award.

Natalie didn't get a separate tribute. She was the final person shown in the IN MEMORIAM segment.

Look what I found. Maurice and Natalie in 1978:

Attachment 11113

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    As written above, Steve Wonder and Pentatonix did a nice version of THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD as a tribute to Maurice. Later, EWF mentioned Maurice before they presented the Album of the Year award.

Natalie didn't get a separate tribute. She was the final person shown in the IN MEMORIAM segment.
    Thanks for that. The grammys are shown here in the UK but it is many years since I tuned in and I don't think I will be bothering this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thanks for that. The grammys are shown here in the UK but it is many years since I tuned in and I don't think I will be bothering this year.
    I have to say that IMO, it was a really good show. Only five or so awards were actually presented during the telecast. The majority of the show was performances, and most were good. I even enjoyed performances by artists I had never heard of.

Here's a good rundown of the night, and it wasn't from the NY Post!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...215-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have to say that IMO, it was a really good show. Only five or so awards were actually presented during the telecast. The majority of the show was performances, and most were good. I even enjoyed performances by artists I had never heard of.
    Me too Reese I loved Alabama shakes and Lamar and Gagas tribute to David Bowie and Adele. I thought it was a top notch show and real nice to see Nile Rogers with Adele.

fondly,

Roberta

I had the opportunity to experience firsthand some of the workings of NARAS as pertains to the Grammys. I was heavily involved in the awarding of a Lifetime Achievement Award to The Funk Brothers several years ago from the inception of the honor to it's successful conclusion. The people I dealt with at NARAS were quite welcoming to the concept, despite the fact that The Funk Brothers were not a group that were widely known and had no recorded titles under their name, yet the upper level staff had all seen the SITSOM documentary and helped me along the path for the ensemble to garner that honor. They were even convinced to give the Funk Brothers a slot for an appearance on the main telecast and had planned a segment for it. It was a certain [[unnamed) black star performer who refused to participate, while another performer [[happened to be white) who readily agreed to take part. Due to the fact that the one performer refused...they cancelled the segment and instead did a tribute to Luther Vandeross [[who was still alive at the time). I received a very nice letter from Neil Portnow...the head guy at NARAS expressing his appreciation of The Funk Brothers and his disappointment that the appearance didn't come off...but the failure wasn't due to NARAS...it was a certain performer and The Funk Brothers management who blew the whole deal. I did find the people at NARAS to be quite diverse and inclusive in their actions and behavior, perhaps unlike some other entertainment industry organizations...not passing judgement on all that...but passing judgement on NARAS due to the fact that someones favorite performer was somehow "dissed" is in my opinion unfair...You can't please all the people all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I had the opportunity to experience firsthand some of the workings of NARAS as pertains to the Grammys. I was heavily involved in the awarding of a Lifetime Achievement Award to The Funk Brothers several years ago from the inception of the honor to it's successful conclusion. The people I dealt with at NARAS were quite welcoming to the concept, despite the fact that The Funk Brothers were not a group that were widely known and had no recorded titles under their name, yet the upper level staff had all seen the SITSOM documentary and helped me along the path for the ensemble to garner that honor. They were even convinced to give the Funk Brothers a slot for an appearance on the main telecast and had planned a segment for it. It was a certain [[unnamed) black star performer who refused to participate, while another performer [[happened to be white) who readily agreed to take part. Due to the fact that the one performer refused...they cancelled the segment and instead did a tribute to Luther Vandeross [[who was still alive at the time). I received a very nice letter from Neil Portnow...the head guy at NARAS expressing his appreciation of The Funk Brothers and his disappointment that the appearance didn't come off...but the failure wasn't due to NARAS...it was a certain performer and The Funk Brothers management who blew the whole deal. I did find the people at NARAS to be quite diverse and inclusive in their actions and behavior, perhaps unlike some other entertainment industry organizations...not passing judgement on all that...but passing judgement on NARAS due to the fact that someones favorite performer was somehow "dissed" is in my opinion unfair...You can't please all the people all the time...
    Stu, I heard that Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder were approached to participate in the SITSOM documentary and both declined for failed to respond at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Stu, I heard that Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder were approached to participate in the SITSOM documentary and both declined for failed to respond at all.
    As far as the documentary is concerned, yes...I understand that both of those artists and several others were invited to participate including some musicians who also declined for various reasons. I don't see problem with them declining to participate in what was a for profit project, albeit designed to honor The Funk Brothers...That said...it was disappointing that a legendary artist refused to participate in an honor [[Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award)...particularly an artist who's career was greatly enhanced by their association with the Motown musicians...Nuff said on that...Had the Grammy segment come off, I have little doubt that it would have led to additional financial security for the surviving Funk Brothers, as well as the families of the deceased, just based on the national exposure and connections they would have made at the various associated festivities and the telecast, which coincidentally was themed "Funk Music" that year...BTW...For The Funk Brothers Hollywood Walk of Fame honor...Initially we tentatively had Chaka Khan lined up as a guest speaker, but that fell through when she had another commitment to fulfl that day. We did reach out to Diana Ross and she sent a nice note, however, she was performing in Europe that day...Stevie did come through at the last moment and did a very nice job, along with Mickey Stevenson when I asked him, and Ray Parker Jr who helped raise the funds to put the event over the finish line. Stevie also came to our afterparty and performed for the guests...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-16-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Why on earth would performers not want to appear with them??

Why on earth would performers not want to appear with them??
    We couldn't figure that out...I called the individuals management and they told me that the individual was performing elsewhere that week...I later found that to be not true, and in fact, that artist did a benefit performance in Los Angeles the very week of the Grammys. I suspect it was likely a problem that had developed between that artist and The Funk Brothers management unknown to me at the time...

We couldn't figure that out...I called the individuals management and they told me that the individual was performing elsewhere that week...I later found that to be not true, and in fact, that artist did a benefit performance in Los Angeles the very week of the Grammys. I suspect it was likely a problem that had developed between that artist and The Funk Brothers management unknown to me at the time...
    I know Mary Wilson attended both premiers of SITSOM and performed with the Funks at one of them.

That's true...Following the SITSOM documentary, The Funk Brothers embarked on several tours across the US and Europe...The original lineup of guest artists were Joan Osborn, Darlene Love, Maxi Priest, and I believe Montel Jordan. Darius Rucker [[Hootie & The Blowfish), and Jim Gilstrap took on the male leads at one point. The Philly backup singers, mainly Johnnie Ingram and Carla Benson also did those tours. Later on, other artists would join their tours, including Mary Wilson, Issac Hayes, and some others did some performances here and in Europe...

Now you have us all wondering who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Now you have us all wondering who it was.
    LOL...Won't say!!!...But the artist who happily agreed to do the segment with The Funks was Michael McDonald...

That's true...Following the SITSOM documentary, The Funk Brothers embarked on several tours across the US and Europe...The original lineup of guest artists were Joan Osborn, Darlene Love, Maxi Priest, and I believe Montel Jordan. Darius Rucker [[Hootie & The Blowfish), and Jim Gilstrap took on the male leads at one point. The Philly backup singers, mainly Johnnie Ingram and Carla Benson also did those tours. Later on, other artists would join their tours, including Mary Wilson, Issac Hayes, and some others did some performances here and in Europe...
    I saw one of these concerts and it was one of the best shows I ever attended. I can still remember the loud ovation Joan Osborne received after WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED. Originally the ads had Mavis Staples taking part as well, but she ended up being replaced by Darlene Love, who sang MY GUY right to me.

Huge uproar on daytime TV about lack of tribute to Natalie

This was worth mentioning and being reported, but ultimately it is not something for most of us to fret over. You cannot demand respect, especially now that the event has passed, and it's embarrassing to have to do so. The lack of a tribute doesn't diminish her accomplishments or the significance of her life. I believe that most of those who have an opinion think she should have been given more than a mention, but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter.

Gotta side with Soulster on this one. It's a simple fact. The Grammy are run primarily by white men. Maurice White's influence on American popular easily matches Bowie and certainly surpasses Glenn Frey. The Grammys have been criticized by many other media outlets for being way too safe when awarding in the big categories. Taylor Swift's win over Kendrick Lamar is just another blatant example. The Grammys in many ways possesses the same problem that the Oscars have. And before anyone mentions that the Oscars president is a Black woman, also be reminded that the judges are mainly white. The entire entertainment industry is in need of serious overhaul.
    Name:  oscar.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  18.5 KB

Nevermind the fact that Cynthia Robinson of Sly and The Family Stone was also completely overlooked in the memoriam part of the show. That is absolutely inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Nevermind the fact that Cynthia Robinson of Sly and The Family Stone was also completely overlooked in the memoriam part of the show. That is absolutely inexcusable.
    Really? I did not watch. They left out Cynthia? Ridiculous.

And insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Gotta side with Soulster on this one. It's a simple fact. The Grammy are run primarily by white men. Maurice White's influence on American popular easily matches Bowie and certainly surpasses Glenn Frey. The Grammys have been criticized by many other media outlets for being way too safe when awarding in the big categories. Taylor Swift's win over Kendrick Lamar is just another blatant example. The Grammys in many ways possesses the same problem that the Oscars have. And before anyone mentions that the Oscars president is a Black woman, also be reminded that the judges are mainly white. The entire entertainment industry is in need of serious overhaul.
    Well, consider that Caucasian men are ~30% of the population, yet they hold probably 80% of elected positions, judgeships, company management positions, etc. And more than half of the other 20% are held by White women. We cannot effect change because we don't have the power to force it.

Well it's forcing the academy awards to significantly add more diversity to its membership. And after the Grammys I'm sure the reaction to the dis of Natalie cole is being heard. If we all kept our mouths shut nothing would change.

Well it's forcing the academy awards to significantly add more diversity to its membership. And after the Grammys I'm sure the reaction to the dis of Natalie cole is being heard. If we all kept our mouths shut nothing would change.
    Exactly luke. We've affected change in almost every aspect of American Society regardless of how many whites were in the picture . The Grammys need to be the next target.

That's exactly what they wish we would do is keep our mouths shut!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Really? I did not watch. They left out Cynthia? Ridiculous.
    This further demonstrates my point. Ralph may have been insulted, and i'm sorry he was, but the cold fact is that generally people go with what they know, and most white people just don't know much about R&B music. It's not in their collective wheelhouse, so most don't recognize the artists and music's impact and importance. The same could be said about Black people, too. But, look at who has the power and the position?

It's human nature to change as little as possible when the change is forced or encouraged from others. It's the law of inertia that suggests that items at rest tend to remain at rest and items in motion tend to remain in motion. Consequently change, especially social change, will never be sufficient to bring about equality. Consider, if you have to ask [[beg) for your rights, are they truly rights? Can't they be taken away just as easily as they were given? Awards shows will never be equitable, so long as the power players don't culturally represent the body of all who are eligible.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    This further demonstrates my point. Ralph may have been insulted, and i'm sorry he was, but the cold fact is that generally people go with what they know, and most white people just don't know much about R&B music. It's not in their collective wheelhouse, so most don't recognize the artists and music's impact and importance. The same could be said about Black people, too. But, look at who has the power and the position?
    How do you know how white people or any other people think,what makes you the spokesman for all races,i would not profess to say how black people or any other color people think and lastly your statements could be taken as racist against whites you are so wrong. Good grief get a grip.

It is a simple analysis. We cannot talk about Black celebrity and recognition without talking about who controls the access to stardom. Even in the present, that isn't us. And as long as that basic fact remains, said recognition will always be limited and it will come with a price.

Awards shows are a joke and a farce. They have a million and a half categories to cover every possible award, yet not one black person was nominated for an Oscar. Something always has to "mysteriously" happen to cause a controversy. The last time I watched any part of the Grammy's was in 2012 when they did the Amy Winehouse tribute. For once, they did a solid job recognizing someone's work. It's just proof that they can do it - they just don't. I don't bother with the Hollywood smoke and mirrors charade for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    How do you know how white people or any other people think,what makes you the spokesman for all races,i would not profess to say how black people or any other color people think and lastly your statements could be taken as racist against whites you are so wrong. Good grief get a grip.
    Sorry, but that is a load of crap. Are you denying who runs the vast majority of the entertainment industry? Music, movies, TV, etc.. All mainly controlled by white males. That is something no amount of personal offense is going to get around. In other words, stop taking shit personally and face facts. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but the facts don't stop being the facts because you are offended by them.

So far, this is a good conversation of a controversial subject. Please stay on topic and respect each others views.