[REMOVE ADS]

Grover Washington, Jr. - Motown recording artist.

I was contemplating obtaining some out of Grover Washington, JR. when he was under contract to Motown. However, I know very little about him and I don't recall seeing any threads on the forum about him. I know he was famous for his being a saxaphonist, but I have not ever heard anything that he released on Motown.

What was his biggest selling release on Motown? I know he didn't achieve the success that Jr. Walker did, but it seems as though he should get some attention.

Was Grover actually under contract to Motown? I know his original connection was that he was on CTI / Kudu, which Motown distributed. Looking at his chart history, I see that he had at least three albums released on Motown as well. But they all seem to be released in between albums that he did for Elektra so I don't know if they are left-over recordings from the CTI/Kudu years or if they are new.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Was Grover actually under contract to Motown? I know his original connection was that he was on CTI / Kudu, which Motown distributed. Looking at his chart history, I see that he had at least three albums released on Motown as well. But they all seem to be released in between albums that he did for Elektra so I don't know if they are left-over recordings from the CTI/Kudu years or if they are new.
    Well, I know in 1995 Motown issued several ANTHOLOGY double-CD disc sets.

Others in the series were Commodores, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Rare Earth, Smokey Robinson & Miracles, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Temptations, Temptations Solo Recordings, and Grover Washington, Jr. But for some unknown reason none for the Four Tops or Stevie Wonder. These were part of the Master Series of 1995.

There were several Grover Washington Jr alums released by Motown / Mojazz but most were re-issues of his Kudu albums and these were eventually released on the Verve [[Jazz) label. There seem to be at least 2 true Motown albums as far as I can see - "Reed Seed" from 1978 which was also eventually issued on Verve and "Skylarkin' " from 1980 which seems to be the only one that Motown still re-issue. Many of his Kudu albums saw release a few times by Motown and there were several collections released on him.

Titles released by Motown....

Live at the Bijou [[2 versions)
    A Secret Place
    Feels So Good
    Mister Magic
    Soul Box 1
    Soul Box 2
    All The King's Horses
    Inner City Blues
    Reed Seed
    Skylarkin'

Compilations
    Baddest [[Motown) 1980 [[not on CD)
    Anthology [[Motown) 1981
    Greatest Performances [[Motown) 1983
    At His Best - Compact Command Performances [[1985)
    2ON1 Mister Magic & Feels So Good [[1986)
    2ON1 A Secret Place & All The King's Horses [[1986)
    The Best Of [[Anthology) [[Motown) 1996
    20th Century Masters Best Of [[Motown) 2000
    The Essential Collection [[Spectrum) 2002
    Gold [[Hip-O-Select / Mptpwn) 2006