[REMOVE ADS]

Maurice White.....Earth, Wind and Fire....passed

God Bless Maurice White for all the music he and EWF provided us for the soundtrack of our lives especially in the 70s. I have the albums, the concert memories and the fun times. Thanks Maurice!!!

Marv

This one hurts a lot. Barely two months into 2016 and musical giants are falling away at a ridiculous rate. I honestly haven't watched or listened to any EW&F output since he left the band. Maurice White was essential to Earth Wind And Fire and even though I'm a huge Philip Bailey fan, he wasn't the creative force of nature for the outfit that Maurice was. His influence is huge and he will be sadly missed.

I've just heard about Maurice passing away. Absolutely terrible news.

EWF's music, was absolutely superb. Where are the great musicians today, that bring out original truly original music, like the great funk bands of the 70's?

I heard this on the 6:00 News here in NYC. All I can say is God Bless and keep you Maurice. Thank you for sharing your spirit and your talent with us , for your words and music has at one point , truly saved my life. R.I.P. Mr White and I will always keep my head to the sky.

Remember when I said one a week? I jinxed it!

Here's an article from CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/04/entert...eat/index.html

Remember seeing them several times here in Holland, the first time on a double bill with Santana in Rotterdam in 1975
    Audio only:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqx6Ei7iA48
    RIP

I just read it. WOW.

Thoughts go out to family friends and fans.

RIP MAurice White

I am almost scared to switch on the TV these days for fear of hearing of another sad passing.
    Love this group to the moon and back. So creative, so visual, so memorable, so unique.
    Thank you so much for the great music and memories Maurice. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am almost scared to switch on the TV these days for fear of hearing of another sad passing.
    Love this group to the moon and back. So creative, so visual, so memorable, so unique.
    Thank you so much for the great music and memories Maurice. R.I.P.
    I think we all knew he hadn't been well for quite some time, but still, what a shock. There was a time in the 70s when I was addicted to EWF and just couldn't get enough of their unique sound [[off-projects like Deniece Williams and Pockets also had me hooked).
    Time passed and I didn't play EWF for quite some years but, as you do, I eventually returned to it.
    Thanks, Maurice, for your massive contribution to music.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Remember seeing them several times here in Holland, the first time on a double bill with Santana in Rotterdam in 1975
    Audio only:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqx6Ei7iA48
    RIP

My first time seeing them was in August 1975 at the Toledo Sports Arena. I still have the ticket stub!

One of my very favorites by EWF from the winter of 1976-77:

I woke up one Saturday morning in late 1977, turned on American Bandstand and Dick Clark was introducing EWF there to perform their new song, "Serpentine Fire". I didn't know what the song meant, but I had to have their new album and by Monday, I bought it!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Remember when I said one a week? I jinxed it!

Here's an article from CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/04/entert...eat/index.html

It is something that we've lost very prominent members of two of the biggest, most popular bands of the seventies in such a short span of time.

Very sad and too young. I Saw EWF at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago one of the best concerts ever. A great performer and a great musicien.

Another leaf has fallen,
    another soul has gone.
    But still we have God's promises,
    in every robin's song.
    For he is in His heaven,
    and though He takes away,
    He always leaves to mortals,
    the bright sun's kindly ray.
    He leaves the fragrant blossoms,
    and lovely forest, green.
    And gives us new found comfort,
    when we on Him will lean.

Maurice White was 74 years old and has not performed with EWF for over 20 years due to health issues:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...id=ansmsnent11

Ok,marv i just posted because i just read about it,damn.

That's The Way Of The World and All 'n All are easily two of the best albums from the seventies. We have lost Maurice White, David Bowie, and Glenn Frey, three creators who absolutely shaped the music that played from radios in that decade and beyond. I daresay that if you know somebody who suggests that he is not a fan of st least one of these brothers, then is either lying, not a music fan, or only listened to talk radio when there was little to talk about besides music. Stay tuned, we'll be losing more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Ok,marv i just posted because i just read about it,damn.
    No problem JAI, none at all.

I played "All 'N All" this morning. I'm trying to decide which album I will play tonight.

One of the prettiest ballads I've ever heard is "I Need You" from Maurice White's 1985 self-titled solo album. They just don't make enough fallin'-in-love records like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWb6MJ_lTPw

[[Thanks to TokyoPopsCity for posting this masterpiece on YouTube.)

Rest In Peace, Maurice White!

Magical 70's. Magical Philly Sound. Magical symphonic soul and symphonic rock like never before and never after!... Magical fusion: Chick Corea and his Return To Forever, jazz-funk bands as the paradigm of jazz-soul-funk-latin FUSION, EARTH, WIND & FIRE. In fact, maurice have been with another hero of the fusion field, Ramsy Lewis before starting his own project.

I remember when at the age of 14 - 15 years old I purchased "The Best Of EW&F, Vol. 1" [[The "red" colored album) and little after, "La Vuelta Ciclista a España" adopted "September" as the syntonie in spanish TV retransmition of the competition [[every year, the "Vuelta Ciclista" theme, was a different theme). Immediately I purchased the single [["Septiembre", traduced in the cover art) and the magical album "All 'N All". Today I have practically all the EW&F discography in CD format.

My favorite track with Maurice White voice is in "Can't Hide Love", the early verses in the intro he sung with his peculiar register, not exactly tenor, not exactly baritone...

Maurice's passing hit me like a ton of bricks when I first got the news, despite the fact that
    I'd known about his health issues since back in the 90's. I cannot in words describe how
    great an influence he was on me throughout my life search to find music to stimulate
    enjoy and inspire me. For his humble beginnings as a session musician, I thank him. For
    his creation and re-creation of Earth Wind and Fire, I thank him. For his early and later
    work with Ramsey Lewis; the student inspired the teacher, I thank him. For his career
    revitalization of Niecy and The Emotions, I thank him. For his bringing the strength and
    beauty of an age old African musical instrument, the kalimba, to the forefront of America
    popular music like it'd never been before, I thank him. And despite whatever shortcomings
    he had or missteps, as Phillip Bailey has already mentioned in his own book, for the spirit and energy his work brought to so many of our lives. I already know people who have been both
    celebrating and studying his contributions and I expect that to continue. Regardless, the music will never die...Rest in peace, Maurice White...

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=WeAejlzuFMQ

I see this and wanted to post it. RIP to "The best big brother a little brother could have".

A great tribute to Maurice. Listen to this!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    One of the prettiest ballads I've ever heard is "I Need You" from Maurice White's 1985 self-titled solo album. They just don't make enough fallin'-in-love records like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWb6MJ_lTPw

[[Thanks to TokyoPopsCity for posting this masterpiece on YouTube.)
    For me that would be "Love's Holiday":

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I woke up one Saturday morning in late 1977, turned on American Bandstand and Dick Clark was introducing EWF there to perform their new song, "Serpentine Fire". I didn't know what the song meant, but I had to have their new album and by Monday, I bought it!

That's my favourite EWF track marv.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    That's my favourite EWF track marv.
    It was the bomb wasn't it? LOL! It was so different from everything else they had done.

I have too many favorites to pick out just one.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was the bomb wasn't it? LOL! It was so different from everything else they had done.
    It's superb marv.

I also love Power, from the Last Days and Time album, but Serpentine Fire is still my favourite EWF track.