[REMOVE ADS]

Did Jean and Supremes sing the Diana led hits on TV?

It just dawned on me after watching the Smokey clip of Jean's Someday We'll Be Together-did they sing other pre-1970 hits on tv???

They did a few times. Mostly in medley form.

Thanks Marv. There certainly was more of a concentration on the 1970 stuff on. Wonder if this was by choice.

They did it on the David Frost show. I still hope the video of that turns up someday.

topdiva1 Guest
    Why of course they did, and very well too!!!!

Other than Someday I dont remember seeing them singing any of the previous hits.

I vaguely recall a televised show from Washington DC. I think the current President and/or his wife were front and center in the audience. The "new" Supremes looked like the old Supremes in gowns and wigs. They sang a medley of hits however "Stoned Love" was noticeably, at least to me, not among them. So probably this show was in 1970, possibly December.

I can't recall if it was a "LIVE" show or taped in advance. It is possible that if it was taped then they could have sung "Stoned Love" apart from the medley and it was not included in the broadcast. I just assumed it was left out of this affair due to the song title and the honored guests in attendance.

The song "Reflections" seems to stick-out in my mind as the prominent song. I remember thinking the choice of songs and attire for this program more reminiscent of the old Supremes.

So the answer to your question is yes they did do DRATS songs on TV.

Well so far it still seems exception to rule to me as far as TV goes-not live performances--on every tv show Ive seen they sang their current records except the Smokey show.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Well so far it still seems exception to rule to me as far as TV goes-not live performances--on every tv show Ive seen they sang their current records except the Smokey show.
    Luke, I do recall Mary, Jean and Cindy doing a medley of old Supremes hits on a special program called "Festival at Ford Theater".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Luke, I do recall Mary, Jean and Cindy doing a medley of old Supremes hits on a special program called "Festival at Ford Theater".
    marv2, I think that is the show I was referring to in my previous post.

luke, generally whenever The Supremes appeared on a US prime-time TV show it was to promote their latest release, even if it was a couple of months old. Rarely did they ever sing another of their hits. On the occasions they sang more than one song it generally was a standard either as a group or in duet with the show's host.

If it was a teen oriented show, or a daytime talk-show, most of which were syndicated, then they often did more than one of their hits. Shivaree, Dick Clark Specials and The Mike Douglas Show come to mind.

On Tennessee Ernie Ford Special, in addition to singing Reflections, their current release, they sang about one minute of The Happening, their previous release, during a different segment of the show.

On Ed Sullivan they sang Love Child, their latest hit, and introduced Shame, their new release. Also on Sullivan they sang Can't Hurry Love and then a medley of songs from the Symphony album, some of which were standards, some Motown originals. And on another Sullivan they sang the show-tune My Favorite Things and then a medley of their hits. So basically it was do some hits for the kids and sing some standards for the adults.

As for the "new" Supremes to sing Someday on TV it made perfect sense. Seeing that they only had Ladder to claim as their own, Someday was the previous release and the perfect song to duet with Smokey, something for the teens as well as the adults.

As I remember, it was only Love Child, Livin' In Shame, No Matter What Sign and Up The Ladder that were introduced on TV prior to release. Up to that point most releases hit radio before the group performed the songs on television.

Interestingly enough I've never seen either Some Things or The Composer performed on TV or LIVE [[and I saw them LIVE four times in 1969!). Once on Sullivan when he introduced them to sing their latest "hit" I assumed it was The Composer and it turned out to be Sign.

Let's keep the post on THE SUPREMES, From the 70s. All THE SUPREMES from the 70s sang 60s SUPREMES medleys,It was always a part of they're shows,So sometimes they would do the medleys on tv, And i loved it.
    Please stay positive

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Let's keep the post on THE SUPREMES, From the 70s. All THE SUPREMES from the 70s sang 60s SUPREMES medleys,It was always a part of they're shows,So sometimes they would do the medleys on tv, And i loved it.
    Please stay positive
    Thank you - and may this be our new years resolution - TO STAY ON THE TOPIC - I am guilty of going off topic myself, but will try to do better - please join me. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

Please stay positive
    I agree that staying on topic is essential.

REDHOT, If you were referring to my recent post, I feel it was on topic. I discussed the DRATS appearances from the 60s to illustrate the format of most of their performances. I then referenced The 70s Supremes appearance with Smokey, that initiated this thread, and showed how the "new" Supremes performance fit into this familiar format.

I remained very concrete in citing the performances and made no attempt to critique these performers or performances.

I thought I was suggesting that the Supremes in 1970, in their initial year, were following the similar format as was taken by DRATS in the previous six years of television appearances.

I'm sorry if I hadn't made my point clearer in my previous post.

Honestly, I can not recall The "70"s Supremes sings the hits of the "60"s live on television except for the song they duet with Smokey [[Someday We Will Be Together) so, my answer would be that if they did it was very few times.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    They did it on the David Frost show. I still hope the video of that turns up someday.
    Jill, they did do the 60's hits on the David Frost Show in `971. I've heard the audio of the performance and read somewhere that the video or tape of the program may have been erased. Still, like you, I hope that a copy turns up someday.

I saw them on the David Frost Show. What I remember from this show was the slower arrangement of My World Is Empty Without You beautifully performed by the ladies. It was a refreshing change to their hits medley.

THE SUPREMES MARY JEAN and LYNDA were on THE DAVID CAVETTE SHOW,Singing a 60s SUPREMES medley,They also sang Tossin' and Turnin'.
    Please stay positive

THE SUPREMES MARY JEAN and LYNDA were on THE DAVID CAVETTE SHOW,Singing a 60s SUPREMES medley,They also sang Tossin' and Turnin'.
    Please stay positive
    Now there is a good possibility that the videotape of that performance still exists!

They only did medleys of the '60s hits. All of their '70s songs were sung fully.

They also used to do a medley consisting of UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF, FLOY JOY, NATHAN JONES, and AUTOMATICIALLY SUNSHINE. I'm not sure how long it stayed in the act, but it is on their 1973 live album, as well as their 1974 Japanese tv special.

You are so right Reese,I hope your right Marv2,I would love to get a copy of The Supremes, On The Dick Cavette Show.The interview, was also really good.
    Please stay positive

I wonder if it was to establish their own identity or to bow to Miss Ross that they rarely sang a full 60s hit? I remember seeing that Frost special. Jean was spotlighted and coincidentally or not Mary was not her usual bubbly self.

From what I remember on the David Frost show they did the usual 60s hits medley [[Stop in the name of love/Come see about me/My World is empty/Baby Love). I also remember Jean sang People and I seemed to liked it better than when Flo sang it. Also Cindy talked about her kidnapping incident during the interview. I forget what show it was but I remember the Jean, Mary and Lynda line-up doing a rushed version of Stop in the name of love.

smark21 Guest
    Please stay positive
    I never heard of the David Cavette Show. Who was he?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I wonder if it was to establish their own identity or to bow to Miss Ross that they rarely sang a full 60s hit? I remember seeing that Frost special. Jean was spotlighted and coincidentally or not Mary was not her usual bubbly self.
    I don't know why not... Mary got to sing Macarthur Park. Or least a couple lines in it.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 12-29-2010 at 10:38 PM.

miss_lish Guest
    This has gotta be the most insipid thread ever created in the entire history of Soulful Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I never heard of the David Cavette Show. Who was he?
    I think she meant David Cavett. He was a late night talk show host, his talk show was real popular in the late '60s and early '70s, lots of rock, pop and soul acts were on that show.
    Last edited by midnightman; 12-29-2010 at 11:59 PM.

He[[David Cavette)had a dvd out,But THE SUPREMES,Mary Jean and Lynda was not included.
    Please stay positive

Dick Cavette lives on Long Island. I saw him a few years ago.

No 60's songs but you can see Cindy sing a couple of lines on her own in 1970! Rare

That is a very nice clip. Thank you jobeterob!

Its Dick Cavett not David and sadly many of his shows have been erased fom the vaults..