[REMOVE ADS]

Syreeta / Rita Wright

Of course, we have several albums issued under the name "Syreeta." However, I am certain that she issued some singles under the name of Rita Wright [[see below) prior to her"renaming" as simply Syreeta. Where I can I find a listing of the tracks attributed to Rita Wright? Thanks in advance.

p.s. I am thinking about this because on the newly issued ACE CD "Love and Affection" there is indeed a Rita Wright track [[Give Back the Good Things).
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-28-2016 at 02:11 AM.

LTF - From what I gather from the 3 links below, there was only 1 single as Rita Wright during her time at Motown. Although she recorded other material during that same time as RW, those recordings weren't made available until years later--such as GIVE BACK THE GOOD THINGS and WHERE IS THE LOVE--and by then usually attributed in credits listings to SW.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/391724-Rita-Wright

http://www.soulandjazzandfunk.com/re...201968%20.html

http://www.dftmc.info/artists/aw.htm

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Of course, we have several albums issued under the name "Syreeta." However, I am certain that she issued some singles under the name of Rita Wright [[see below) prior to her"renaming" as simply Syreeta. Where I can I find a listing of the tracks attributed to Rita Wright? Thanks in advance.

p.s. I am thinking about this because on the newly issued ACE CD "Love and Affection" there is indeed a Rita Wright track [[Give Back the Good Things).
    All your Motown queries are to be solved at The DFTMC web site

RossHolloway Guest
    According to the liner notes to Love & Affection, 20+ songs remain unreleased from the Rita Wright era.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    All your Motown queries are to be solved at The DFTMC web site
    Snake pit,

That's not exactly true this time. There is no listing for "Rita Wright" or no listing for "Syreeta.". There is only one listing and it combines the two, i.e., SYREETA WRIGHT. That's the actual reason I asked my original question. Thanks.

so it does.....you live and learn

Here Syreeta is from March 15, 1974:

Again on June 1, 1980:

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    so it does.....you live and learn

You're right. However, the work that they have put into DFTMC is nothing short of a miracle. I cannot even imagine the hours and research they have invested. They actually had the new tracks from "Love and Affection" loaded in the site immediately after it was released.

Nice "meeting" you! :-)

Love me some Syreeta ana Rita Wright,aka Syreeta Wright R.I.P she was The Best. p.s Thanks Marv for postin the video's

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Love me some Syreeta ana Rita Wright,aka Syreeta Wright R.I.P she was The Best. p.s Thanks Marv for postin the video's
    You are very welcome.

Didn't know she performed "Spinnin' & Spinnin'" on TV!!! That's my favorite song of mine's from Syreeta.

It's a wonder she didn't record as Syreeta Wonder[[ooh)!

I think Syreeta also recorded some good stuff at Motorcity as well.

Syreeta's Motorcity CD:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 7.17.43 PM.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  15.0 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 7.16.19 PM.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  14.1 KB

Syreeta's Motorcity single:

Name:  R-2815266-1302279085.jpeg.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  19.5 KB

Sounding a little like a cross between the two "Jump"s maybe [[Pointers and Van Halen), Syreeta seemed to have a good time performing this one....

Extremely nice videos and so clear.

What I take away from these videos is this: I can listen to Syreeta all day, she was clearly one of Gordy's greatest talents.

There's been so much conjecture over whether or not Syreeta could have taken over the Supremes in the 1970s. I think these videos prove to me that no she couldn't. She had the sound of a Supreme but not the look or attitude. Often times here she seems uncomfortable performing. Shows no animation or enthusiasm for a song that a Supreme would have done. And the glamour is not there.

She did right to stay a soloist. Her 1980 solo lp was her biggest success and Motown dropped the ball on what could have been a major recording artist of the 1980s. I feel Syreeta was more comfortable in the studio than she was on stage. Just my opinion.

I sure wish she was here to sing to me more though. Her vocal on With You I'm Born Again is so beautiful and controlled...she should have gotten a grammy. Her duet lp with GC Cameron is another lost gem.

The "Love Child" demo:

Calvin raised [[and included) the video link of 'Love child'.

Syreeta was by far, my favourite of all Motown artists. Her voice for me was so amazingly beautiful, and the LP "Steve Wonder presents .... Syreeta" is just magnificent, and every track on it is just perfection.

But Calvin's post made me wonder - just how many other tracks are in the vaults at Motown which Syreeta made, similar to Love Child, which have been used perhaps as demo tracks, or just never released.

The track 'With you I'm born again' was such a huge hit when I was growing up - it's so delicate, and sung with enormous passion from Syreeta and Billy Preston. It's just magical.

I'd love to have a "complete" collection of tracks by Syreeta, although I suspect that it wouldn't be a strong seller, as people [[like me) who absolutely adore Syreeta, are in the minority.

I agree, gordy_hunk, I'd love to see a Syreeta "Lost and Found" with all the unreleased tracks. It would also be great to get "The Spell" on cd.

I may have mention this before. Syreeta was special in terms of artists signed to Motown. She came to the company in 1968 or around that time and did not score a hit until late 1979. They kept her on the label probably more for her songwriting contributions than as a recording artist selling large numbers.

I was never really a huge fan of Syreeta. Her voice is just to child like and delicate sounding for my own personal taste. I do think she sounded enchanting on the duet WYIBA, where her light, sensitive delivery complements the song.
    I did own the "Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta" album which has some great songs on it. Problem is i have always felt that Diana Ross would have sounded better singing them. Songs such as " Heavy Day" and "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" would have been tailor made for the Ross voice. Just my opinion.......

Syreeta R.I.P could have replaced Diana Ross,she was beautiful,and had a great voice,a very nice person,had Syreeta been a Supreme,she would have been a good team player,alone with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong,Ollie9 we can agree and disagree,no one can sing any of the songs from Stevie Wonder presents Syreeta's album,better then Syreeta,i'v seen her live,back in the day,she was AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Syreeta R.I.P could have replaced Diana Ross,she was beautiful,and had a great voice,a very nice person,had Syreeta been a Supreme,she would have been a good team player,alone with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong,Ollie9 we can agree and disagree,no one can sing any of the songs from Stevie Wonder presents Syreeta's album,better then Syreeta,i'v seen her live,back in the day,she was AMAZING
    I agree Redhot, Syreeta was indeed beautiful and from everything i have ever read a lovely person. Having said that if i were auditioning Syreeta and Jean for lead singer of the Supremes i would pick Jean everytime. For me she has the more versatile voice which worked well on songs such as Stoned Love etc. Syreeta has a pretty voice, which is more effective when singing ballads. As you say different strokes for different folks. I appreciate that you are a fan. This is just my own opinion.

Hey Ollie9 i respect your opinion,it's all good,don't get me wrong,i like both ladies.

I am glad at how things turned out. Jean was the correct replacement for The Supremes and Syreeta created a lot of wonderful music on her own. Stevie Wonder Presents is a fantastic album, imho. Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers is a truly breath taking performance. I don't believe Syreeta would have been able to do that as a member of the group.