[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Diana had a pop voice. What is wrong in admitting that? What is up with this "commercial voice" stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana had a pop voice. What is wrong in admitting that? What is up with this "commercial voice" stuff?
    It was just another made up story to justify having Diane do all the leads and keeping the other girls in their place. How can you say the other two did not have "commercial" voices when you never tested them?

^ Yeah. I mean, as J. Randy Taraborelli once said, it wasn't just Diana that the public fell in love with when the Supremes were releasing hit after hit. Flo and Mary were equally as loved.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I always wanted to know. When you say "commercial voice" what exactly do you mean or what does that mean to you? To me, commercial meant that it sold with the public. Gladys Knight and Aretha Franklin sold millions of records and they sound nothing like Diana Ross.
    I think it really is as simple as that marv. Diana Ross has a unique sounding pop voice, that is adaptable to most kind of music. That is why she has had trillions of hits. Joe public like her sound. Soul shouters like Florence were ten a penny in the sixties and not really that special. I have played "Aint That Good New"s to a lot of friends to gauge their reaction and they all say the same. "Nice enough vocal, but...... not that special".
    So for me commercial sounding does means pop voice.
    Florence sounded great in the background, but there is nothing i have ever heard that has made me think she would have made it as a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think it really is as simple as that marv. Diana Ross has a unique sounding pop voice, that is adaptable to most kind of music. That is why she has had trillions of hits. Joe public like her sound. Soul shouters like Florence were ten a penny in the sixties and not really that special. I have played "Aint That Good New"s to a lot of friends to gauge their reaction and they all say the same. "Nice enough vocal, but...... not that special".
    So for me commercial sounding does means pop voice.
    Florence sounded great in the background, but there is nothing i have ever heard that has made me think she would have made it as a solo.
    Diana had the commercial voice and she had more charisma and star quality than all the rest of them put together. I love Mary but her voice is quite simply not suited to light pop ditties. She is much better on ballads, and there was no way the Supremes were going to have a lot of hits with ballads. Flo had a strong voice but again that was not suitable for the type of material the Supremes were given.
    History dictates that Berry made the correct decision in appointing Diana as lead singer.
    She was never technically a great singer but she more than made up for it by possessing an abundance of that special something that no amount of money or technical ability can buy. People really do need to accept this, get over it and move on from events that took place the best part of 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    If you're talking of commanding voices, it has to be Kim Weston. Just listen to "It Takes Two" and you'll hear that Kim was well in charge of Marvin Gaye on that one.
    Good point 144man. Kim really does show Marvin [[and everyone else) a few things on this tune.

Kim Weston is another one of those great vocalists [[seriously hear her version of Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing and don't act like you didn't feel that) that Motown badly mismanaged.

Kim Weston is another one of those great vocalists [[seriously hear her version of Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing and don't act like you didn't feel that) that Motown badly mismanaged.

Motown had everyone in the sixties. Can you imagine how huge Motown would still be today if they had given the proper attention to all of those artists? Whew!

Motown had everyone in the sixties. Can you imagine how huge Motown would still be today if they had given the proper attention to all of those artists? Whew!
    Good point, but I guess they did not have the resources to give everyone the attention they deserved.

The sky was definitely the limit. Berry was biased in his promo obviously lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana had the commercial voice and she had more charisma and star quality than all the rest of them put together. I love Mary but her voice is quite simply not suited to light pop ditties. She is much better on ballads, and there was no way the Supremes were going to have a lot of hits with ballads. Flo had a strong voice but again that was not suitable for the type of material the Supremes were given.
    History dictates that Berry made the correct decision in appointing Diana as lead singer.
    She was never technically a great singer but she more than made up for it by possessing an abundance of that special something that no amount of money or technical ability can buy. People really do need to accept this, get over it and move on from events that took place the best part of 50 years ago.
    Well, I would have to agree.

The sky was definitely the limit. Berry was biased in his promo obviously lol
    He would sitting on a billion dollars today he weren't so "biased" LOL!

Come on, guys. Can we not do the 'whose voice is better' thing again? Some people like Flo's voice better. Some Diana's. That doesn't make either one of them bad singers. Whether you like their voices or not is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that both voices [[and Mary's) have moved a LOT of people. At this point, it doesn't matter what Gordy thought. It doesn't matter what HDH thinks. It doesn't matter what your friends think. Don't you think its obvious why each Supreme STILL have ardent fans? Their voices! Forget your personal opinions. Frankly, I'm not too keen on Jean Terrell's voice, but I still recognize that her voice was incredibly unique and provided the Supremes with a totally unique sound. Can't we just recognize what each voice brought to the table without finding reasons why a particular voice isn't good?
    Last edited by antceleb12; 01-28-2016 at 09:00 PM.

^ Well the conversation is okay. No arguments, if that's what you were worrying about. Obviously we got differences of opinion on who we think is "better" but it did say "most commanding" so some of us think different when we see that. It is what it is, but I understand what you mean, Ant.

And I think just about all of us can agree on the Supremes so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Come on, guys. Can we not do the 'whose voice is better' thing again? Some people like Flo's voice better. Some Diana's. That doesn't make either one of them bad singers. Whether you like their voices or not is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that both voices [[and Mary's) have moved a LOT of people. At this point, it doesn't matter what Gordy thought. It doesn't matter what HDH thinks. It doesn't matter what your friends think. Don't you think its obvious why each Supreme STILL have ardent fans? Their voices! Forget your personal opinions. Frankly, I'm not too keen on Jean Terrell's voice, but I still recognize that her voice was incredibly unique and provided the Supremes with a totally unique sound. Can't we just recognize what each voice brought to the table without finding reasons why a particular voice isn't good?
    Ones own personal view of what is meant by the term "commercial sounding voice" was what i thought was being discussed. A subject i find completely relevant, even in 2016.
    Having said that i do appreciate how on occasion such topics can head south remarkably quickly lol.

Hey Marv,i think you're right about TheMotownManicac,i too believe hes Supremester smh

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Hey Marv,i think you're right about TheMotownManicac,i too believe hes Supremester smh
    There are a few people on this forum with more than one alias.

You think so? He says the same things Supremester says. Yeah, I believe it is him.

Pop' commercial: call it what you will.

Motown scored 18 #1 hits between 1964 and 1969, 12 of which featured Diana Ross. When you're "the voice" for 2/3 of your company's chart-toppers for almost a decade, it's pretty hard to deny who had the most commanding female voice.

If we're talking about range and pure power then it's[gladys]easy,all the motown ladies could bring it of course but gladys had that powerful soul thing on lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Motown scored 18 #1 hits between 1964 and 1969, 12 of which featured Diana Ross. When you're "the voice" for 2/3 of your company's chart-toppers for almost a decade, it's pretty hard to deny who had the most commanding female voice.

Gladys Knight had the most commanding voice. Diane had the most opportunities to sell records.

Once again the unbiased voice reason. Thank you dear Mary Brewsters.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Once again the unbiased voice reason. Thank you dear Mary Brewsters.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Thank you, Roberta.

Now, if I were to add my two cents about the most distinguishable female voice, I think that honor would go to Dr. Martha Rose Reeves, or even perhaps, Wanda Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    If we're talking about range and pure power then it's[gladys]easy,all the motown ladies could bring it of course but gladys had that powerful soul thing on lockdown.
    A lot of it is apples to oranges. No two ladies had a similar sound, which makes them all unique. Diana had the voice that sold millions, Dr. Martha Rose Reeves [[and perhaps Wanda Rodgers) had the most R & B [[along with Jean), and of course, the most powerful as you mentioned would be Gladys.

Mary Wells, Tammi Terrell, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway and others fall somewhere in between.

Thank you, Roberta.

Now, if I were to add my two cents about the most distinguishable female voice, I think that honor would go to Dr. Martha Rose Reeves, or even perhaps, Wanda Rodgers.
    Yes my dear Mary browsers that honor sure would go to the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Mary basically said what I was trying to say. LOL

Hey Marv,don't fall for it,you know hes trying to get a reaction from you lmao

Hey Marv,don't fall for it,you know hes trying to get a reaction from you lmao
    Ok Thanks Redhot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    There are a few people on this forum with more than one alias.
    Hi Bluerock:
    You are a perceptive young man! Hope all is well.

Kim Weston
    Brenda Holloway
    Gladys Knight
    Blinky
    Wanda Rogers
    No particular order, I find it hard to compare them, as they all were top shelf in their own right

Well, I missed this thread 'cause I wasn't here when it was posted... but it made for great and interesting reading... thanks y'all

I don't really think that Motown signed a bad female vocalist until the '70's. There were so many greats that many got lost in the crush! Even Brenda who seemed to record night and day was overlooked and ultimately left. A couple of girl groups were blessed with two great vocalists at a time. My fav is of course Blinky who was on the cusp of the new decade but I really loved them all

If I had to pick the most commanding voice then it would be Martha as when she sang you pricked up your ears and listened. Most recognisable voice would have to be Diana. Most sexy is Wanda. Most underused Florence. Most underrated Blinky & Brenda. Finally most soulful Gladys Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I don't really think that Motown signed a bad female vocalist until the '70's. There were so many greats that many got lost in the crush! Even Brenda who seemed to record night and day was overlooked and ultimately left. A couple of girl groups were blessed with two great vocalists at a time. My fav is of course Blinky who was on the cusp of the new decade but I really loved them all

If I had to pick the most commanding voice then it would be Martha as when she sang you pricked up your ears and listened. Most recognisable voice would have to be Diana. Most sexy is Wanda. Most underused Florence. Most underrated Blinky & Brenda. Finally most soulful Gladys Knight.
    Love your assessment! I wouldn't be able to award a "most commanding voice". In my mind there's too many factors that go into that and IMO no one lady at Motown could take it. But my picks for "most recognizable","sexiest" and "underused" would be the same as yours, Diana, Wanda, and Flo. Although I think Mary Wilson during the 1970s would give Wanda a run for her money for sexiest. I actually might give Wanda "most underrated" too. I just don't think she gets the credit she deserves for developing her voice when Smokey took over. [[IMO Wanda was not much of a singer before then.) I would give Gladys Knight most stereotypically soulful.

Of course, the one that commanded the biggest audiences, the greatest success, and the highest sales - MISS DIANA ROSS!

My top picks-
    1. Martha Reeves
    2. Gladys Knight
    3. Diana Ross
    4. Brenda Holloway
    5. Kim Weston
    6. Mary Wells

And an honorable mention for Wanda Rogers, Gladys Horton, Saundra Mallett & Cal Gill.

Diana Ross' voice COMMANDED my 2 ears, my heart, my two eyes, my soul, all ten fingers, and all ten toes.

While I like many songs by other female singers, no other Western female voice itself did anything for me. [[Only the late legendary Iranian singer Hayedeh thrills me like Ross does. I don't understand a word of Persian, but Hayedeh's voice sends me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftk9bF0T0OI
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 09-23-2017 at 09:23 PM.

I love Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, and Gladys Knight. But the most commanding voice I can listen to every day is the one and only. The Queen of Motown Diana Ross!!