[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Darin's Motown Recordings

Just read on "Motown Treasures" that an anthology of Bobby Darin's Motown recording will be released in March by Real Gone.

ANOTHER SONG ON MY MIND - THE MOTOWN YEARS, is a forthcoming double CD from Real Gone Music, set for release on 11th March. Here are the details:-

Bobby Darin was so much more than just Mack the Knife. In just 37 years, the singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer and entrepreneur raced against the clock to conquer records, film, and television as he successfully transitioned from rock-and-roll teen idol to tuxedoed swinger and then to denim-clad folk troubadour. At the dawn of the 1970s, and still battling the chronic heart problems that had plagued him since youth, the superstar artist signed with Berry Gordy s renowned Motown Records. At Motown, the versatile artist reinvented himself yet again, recording some of the most vibrant and vital music of his remarkable career. He tackled Hitsville, USA-style R&B and soul alongside original songs and personal re-interpretations of favorites by the day s top pop and rock songwriters including Randy Newman, Cat Stevens, Paul Williams, and Bob Dylan. Darin released just one studio album and a number of singles at Motown before his untimely death in December 1973; the following year, producer Bob Crewe assembled a posthumous LP to celebrate his friend s life and music. Yet, as the decades passed, Darin s artistically wide-ranging Motown recordings were all but forgotten. Now, just two months before what would have been the singer s 80th birthday on May 14, 2016, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records proudly present the first-ever retrospective of the final chapter of the legendary Bobby Darin s musical life. The 2-CD Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years brings together the self-titled 1972 Bobby Darin album never released on CD anywhere in the world with Crewe s original, never-on-CD mix of the posthumous Darin 1936-1973. If that s not enough, this definitive, freshly-remastered anthology also adds every one of Bobby s Motown singles as well as the remixed tracks from the short-lived CD reissue of Darin 1936-1973! The Second Disc s Joe Marchese supplies the new liner notes for this landmark release, with remastering by Mike Milchner at SonicVision. Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years is certain to prove one of 2016 s most significant archival collections for fans of Motown, R&B, pop, soul, and classic vocals, and celebrates the singer s 80th birthday in style. Look out, old Bobby is back!

Disc: 1

1. Sail Away

2. I ve Already Stayed Too Long

3. Something in Her Love

4. Who Turned the World Around

5. Shipmates in Cheyenne

6. Let It Be Me

7. Hard-Headed Woman

8. Average People

9. I Used to Think It Was Easy

10. My First Night Alone Without You

11. Melodie [[Original Single Version)

12. Someday We ll Be Together [[Original Single Version)

13. Simple Song of Freedom [[Original Single Version)

14. I ll Be Your Baby Tonight [[Original Single Version)

15. Sail Away [[Original Single Version)

16. Hard-Headed Woman [[Original Single Version)

17. Average People [[Original Single Version)

18. Something in Her Love [[Original Single Version)

Disc: 2

1. I Won t Last a Day Without You

2. Wonderin Where It s Gonna End

3. Sail Away

4. Another Song on My Mind

5. Happy [[Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues)

6. Blue Monday

7. Don t Think Twice, It s All Right

8. The Letter

9. If I Were a Carpenter

10. Moritat [[Mack the Knife)

11. Happy [[Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) [[Original Single Version)

12. Simple Song of Freedom [[Alternate Mix Single Version)

13. I ll Be Your Baby Tonight [[Alternate Mix Single Version)

14. I Won t Last a Day Without You [[Alternate CD Version)

15. Wonderin Where It s Gonna End [[Alternate CD Version)

16. Happy [[Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) [[Alternate CD Version)

17. Blue Monday [[Alternate CD Version)

18. Don t Think Twice, It s All Right [[Alternate CD Version)

19. Melodie [[Stereo Single Version)

20. Someday We ll Be Together [[Stereo Single Version)

RossHolloway Guest
    This is an interesting choice for release.

Love Bobby Darin. Will check this out for sure.

Has to be one for the collection.

Someone predicted a similar release 5 years ago lol
    http://theseconddisc.com/2011/02/16/...-motown-years/

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Has to be one for the collection.

Someone predicted a similar release 5 years ago lol
    http://theseconddisc.com/2011/02/16/...-motown-years/
    Hopefully this one will see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Hopefully this one will see the light of day.
    I can only think that a release like this took so long because of rights issues. I have been waiting a very long time to get Darin's Sail Away album on cd. This release, with additional singles never on LP will be a welcome addition to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I can only think that a release like this took so long because of rights issues. I have been waiting a very long time to get Darin's Sail Away album on cd. This release, with additional singles never on LP will be a welcome addition to my collection.
    Yes. This sounds great. What a vocalist he was. Left us way too soon.

I've pre-ordered my CD copy through Amazon [[U.S.) -- courtesy of the good folks at Real Gone Music who are releasing this rare Motown product just two days before my birthday! What a great present this will be!

Mr Bobby Darin - "Happy".....

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I've pre-ordered my CD copy through Amazon [[U.S.) -- courtesy of the good folks at Real Gone Music who are releasing this rare Motown product just two days before my birthday! What a great present this will be!
    I'm sure you'll be happy with the CD. I'm quite hopeful it will lead to more releases. Real Gone did a great job with the Lesley Gore album "Someplace Else Now" [[in fact that was under the Real Gone Music/Motown/Universal Music Special Markets banner). One way forward for Motown's more obscure releases methinks.

Thanks for posting, Blkfrost. I will definitely be adding this to my collection! I used to have both the LPs, and Bobby Darin could do no wrong in the studio. This will make the perfect companion to my original Motown 9000 series 'Live At The Desert Inn' CD. A big thank you to Real Gone Music - you've got a very grateful fan out here!

"Live at the Desert Inn" was re-issued in a slightly expanded version on Neon Tonic -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Desert-...+THE+DESERT+IN

"Another Song On My Mind" is now up on UK Amazon too [[£20.37)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Song...eywords=motown

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    Thanks for posting, Blkfrost. I will definitely be adding this to my collection! I used to have both the LPs, and Bobby Darin could do no wrong in the studio. This will make the perfect companion to my original Motown 9000 series 'Live At The Desert Inn' CD. A big thank you to Real Gone Music - you've got a very grateful fan out here!
    You are welcome. I also had both albums when they came out in the 70's. Loved them. I see that Dustygroove list it under its "Coming Soon" tab.