[REMOVE ADS]

The velvelettes unfinished

Does anyone know what the 1966 Velvelettes recorded album for Motown consisted of ?

Nobody does and neither do the Velvelettes.

I suspect we can all guess at 12 tracks but no paperwork for it has turned up to my knowledge.

John, were there any tracks assigned to the group after they cut "Bring Back The Sunshine" in September 1967?

This a shame because they warranted at least one album as great as they were.

I have always wondered if the "Supremes" didn't work out if Cal would have been Berry's new treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    John, were there any tracks assigned to the group after they cut "Bring Back The Sunshine" in September 1967?
    No Brad. Sadly. However. Can still had some engagements to fulfill.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I have always wondered if the "Supremes" didn't work out if Cal would have been Berry's new treasure.
    James

After the Battle concert in February 1964, Mr Gordy was a little "shocked" that this was yet a 2nd time that the Velvelettes had unexpectedly achieved "success" at the expense of the other girl groups. The first time was with There He Goes....he didn't expect that 45 to do so well which is why he allowed it to be issued on a non-Motown label. However, he had restrictions as far as Cal's schooling was concerned. Nevertheless, when the Supremes took off with Where Did Our Love Go, there was really no contest where Mr Gordy was going to place his energies...and I mean that in a business sense!! LOL

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    James

After the Battle concert in February 1964, Mr Gordy was a little "shocked" that this was yet a 2nd time that the Velvelettes had unexpectedly achieved "success" at the expense of the other girl groups. The first time was with There He Goes....he didn't expect that 45 to do so well which is why he allowed it to be issued on a non-Motown label. However, he had restrictions as far as Cal's schooling was concerned. Nevertheless, when the Supremes took off with Where Did Our Love Go, there was really no contest where Mr Gordy was going to place his energies...and I mean that in a business sense!! LOL
    Do you know if any other live recording exists for the Velvelettes in the vaults?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Do you know if any other live recording exists for the Velvelettes in the vaults?
    Yes. For example the Roostertail concert where the Velvelettes introduce Jr Walker on his Soul album [[Soul 705)

Name:  soul-705-walker-c.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  42.0 KB

RossHolloway Guest
    Yes. For example the Roostertail concert where the Velvelettes introduce Jr Walker on his Soul album [[Soul 705)

Name:  soul-705-walker-c.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  42.0 KB
    Yes, I've owned that album for years! I think that album is from the Motown Monday series, do you know if that concert was recorded and still exist or if any other Live recording exists?

I listened to the concert when I was putting together the Anthology album. There was not enough recorded tracks to fill 2 albums so I had to look at what else was there to fill it up. I was fortunate to be able to include that the second performance from that "other" more famous concert.

FYI, the Velvelettes sung Volare at that Junior Walker concert alongside their newest single...These Things Will Keep Me Loving You. Cal seems to recall it was the birthday of one of the Gordy children......she thinks it was Terry...but she acknowledges that it was Junior that Terry wanted to see! LOLOL

I listened to the concert when I was putting together the Anthology album. There was not enough recorded tracks to fill 2 albums so I had to look at what else was there to fill it up. I was fortunate to be able to include that the second performance from that "other" more famous concert.

FYI, the Velvelettes sung Volare at that Junior Walker concert alongside their newest single...These Things Will Keep Me Loving You. Cal seems to recall it was the birthday of one of the Gordy children......she thinks it was Terry...but she acknowledges that it was Junior that Terry wanted to see! LOLOL
    Was the Roostertail show Cal with Sandy and Annette?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Was the Roostertail show Cal with Sandy and Annette?
    Good one Brad................hmmm.....now Annette, I am sure that is yes.......but Sandy- not so sure...... I'll ask Cal

You got me on that one Brad. You youngsters dont miss a trick! lol

They were a good group and tight. Shame Berry did not see that there was room at the TOP.

Has Norma. Bertha or Millie ever sung any leads?

Yes

In their act, Millie used to sing Summertime...and the living is easy....

At The Ladies Of Motown gathering in 2002, Bertha sang My Guy but that was more of a one off.

I don't think Norma has ever sung lead...she sings the highest notes.

Betty can be heard on the last verse of the live version of Aint That Good News on the Velvelettes Motown Anthology. [[Still available for those who don't have it!)

.......and also available for those who just like multiple copies

If my brother can have a tv in each room, then I should be able to have their cd.

lol

So, just how many copies DO you have, then...?

What just here in London...or do you want to include those in France and at my mum's!!!

lolol

I used to have one at work too.

If anyone here wants a copy, you'll be cheaper than Amazon....