[REMOVE ADS]

Super RARE Supremes Footage - Ottawa, Canada!

I was commenting on how I met Peter Jennings by accident and stumbled on this clip by accident! LOL! From the teen dance show "Saturday Date" out of Ottawa, Canada. The show aired from 1961-69 on station CJOH Channel 13. Further proof of what I've said many times and that there must be a lot of footage of Motown acts from foreign appearances out there somewhere. Check it out. The girls appear at 22:36 into this clip:

Last edited by marv2; 01-02-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Thank you! They look so cute and young - never saw that hair of Flo before! TY!!!!!

That's quite a rare clip, Marv. Wonderful to get the chance to see it. Many thanks for posting.

You're welcome. If this clip survives, then their has to be others.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You're welcome. If this clip survives, then their has to be others.
    This is an excellent find and thank you for posting. As you rightly say there must be lots of appearances by Motown acts still out there somewhere,
    I am currently enlisting the help of a friend who has access to a lot of BBC archive. There must be lots of footage out there. I have asked him to particularly look out for the Supremes appearance on the Cilla Black Show performing "Nathan Jones" and one other song which currently eludes me. I do so want to see that performance again amongst many others. Thank you again for this which is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    This is an excellent find and thank you for posting. As you rightly say there must be lots of appearances by Motown acts still out there somewhere,
    I am currently enlisting the help of a friend who has access to a lot of BBC archive. There must be lots of footage out there. I have asked him to particularly look out for the Supremes appearance on the Cilla Black Show performing "Nathan Jones" and one other song which currently eludes me. I do so want to see that performance again amongst many others. Thank you again for this which is wonderful.
    You are welcome. Let's us know what your friend discovers at the BBC. I know that there has to be treasure trove of Motown related video residing within the vaults all the local Detroit television stations. In the sixties and early seventies there were many more locally produced programs than we have today.
    Motown artists of all levels would guest on these shows. Throughout Michigan there were shows done locally.

I wonder if Mark remembers this particular show?

Does Motown have no interest in doing this work themselves.?? I'd think it would have a good audience.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Does Motown have no interest in doing this work themselves.?? I'd think it would have a good audience.
    That is a very good question. I don't know who to go to for an answer though.

Love it! Does he say "Who's the boss?" and then Diana says, "Mother Supreme"? I can't make it but, if so, I love it even more for lots of different reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Love it! Does he say "Who's the boss?" and then Diana says, "Mother Supreme"? I can't make it but, if so, I love it even more for lots of different reasons...
    Yes he does say that which was weird being that it was 1964. Mary is like "the boss?" WTF do you mean? LOL!!!

Florence's hair looks nice. All three of them look elegant in that footage. Guess this was after Where Did Our Love Go hit #1?

Since it's well-known from writings and photos as well as Diana having often mentioned that her mother traveled with the group during their early days, I thought the 'Mother Supreme' reference was, perhaps, an affectionate, playful nod to her mother, Ernestine.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Since it's well-known from writings and photos as well as Diana having often mentioned that her mother traveled with the group during their early days, I thought the 'Mother Supreme' reference was, perhaps, an affectionate, playful nod to her mother, Ernestine.
    Yes, she was mentioning her mother. Ernestine was often the group's chaperone during those early years. She always supported her daughter's career [[this is partially what led to the marriage between Ernestine and Diana's father Fred to fall apart).

Marvin2, what a memory you have jogged in my mind. In 1966, I had started up The Supremes Fan Club Chapter in Ottawa, Ontario. My friend, Eric Pressman had previously started up the Supremes Fan Club in Canada with the blessing of Motown in Detroit. "Saturday Date" was a local Ottawa television show that became all the rage once "The Twist " dance craze took off. At the time I remember being glued to the tv screen on Saturday afternoons watching all the fun.

When I started up the Supremes Fan Club chapter I contacted Dick Maloney, the new host of Saturday Date in hopes of promoting my club. He agreed, and I was invited at as a guest in the winter of 1966. I remember Dick interviewing me and playing the Supremes "My World Is Empty Without You," and the flip side, Remove This Doubt." During a commercial break he startled me with the comment "You know the group is now playing nightclubs?" Perhaps he was trying to tell me that they were no longer just a teen attraction. All told, my appearance gained a good number of new fans being added to the Ottawa chapter.

John Pozer, the former host, had bought airtime on a small radio station outside of Ottawa Smith Falls, and had a hit teen radio program from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the afternoon. At the time in Ottawa CFRA, was the only Ottawa station the played rock hits from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the evening. When "The Happening" was released, John Pozer broke the record in half on his radio show, which promoted me to write him a very strongly worded note. About a year later, during a rock concert headlined by Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, we met face to face and shook hands. Ah, those were the days.

Thank you Marv2 for posting this flashback to my youth.
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 01-06-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Marvin2, what a memory you have jogged in my mind. In 1966, I had started up The Supremes Fan Club Chapter in Ottawa, Ontario. My friend, Eric Pressman had previously started up the Supremes Fan Club in Canada with the blessing of Motown in Detroit. "Saturday Date" was a local Ottawa television show that became all the rage once "The Twist " dance craze took off. At the time I remember being glued to the tv screen on Saturday afternoons watching all the fun.

When I started up the Supremes Fan Club chapter I contacted Dick Maloney, the new host of Saturday Date in hopes of promoting my club. He agreed, and I was invited at as a guest in the winter of 1966. I remember Dick interviewing me and playing the Supremes "My World Is Empty Without You," and the flip side, Remove This Doubt." During a commercial break he startled me with the comment "You know the group is now playing nightclubs?" Perhaps he was trying to tell me that they were no longer just a teen attraction. All told, my appearance gained a good number of new fans being added to the Ottawa chapter.

John Pozer, the former host, had bought airtime on a small radio station outside of Ottawa Smith Falls, and had a hit teen radio program from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the afternoon. At the time in Ottawa CFRA, was the only Ottawa station the played rock hits from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the evening. When "The Happening" was released, John Pozer broke the record donair on his radio show, which promoted me to write him a very strongly worded note. About a year later, during a rock concert headlined by Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, we met face to face and shook hands. Ah, those were the days.

Thank you Marv2 for posting this flashback to my youth.

Mark I was hoping you would get to see this. I found this by accident and being that the World is so , so small I learned that Peter Jennings later of ABC News hosted this show. Twenty years ago this month, I met him in New York right after the blizzard. He moved his Jeep so that I could park! LOL!

I bet they have the entire program still in their vaults.

Mark, great memories. Did you know Dick Maloney passed. I believe in 2010.

No, I didn't know that Dick had passed away, Marv. I tried in vain to correct my post above to no avail to state that the 2nd Supremes side Dick played was "Remove The Doubt" which I don't think was the B side to My World. Plus, John Pozer had broken "The Happening" in half over the air. First time he ever did that to a record! It's hard to believe that as late as 1966, not all radio markets had rock and roll programming for more that a few hours a day.
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 01-06-2016 at 05:00 PM.

No, I didn't know that Dick had passed away, Marv. I tried in vain to correct my post above to no avail to state that the 2nd Supremes side Dick played was "Remove The Doubt" which I don't think was the B side to My World. Plus, John Pozer had broken "The Happening" in half over the air. First time he ever did that to a record! It's hard to believe that as late as 1966, not all radio markets had rock and roll programming for more that a few hours a day.
    He literally broke the record? On purpose? Why?

"Everything Is Good About You" was the B-side Mark.

Mav2, here's hoping to tie up some loose ends. John Pozer evidently HATED "The Happening" record and broke it to make his point. I know I have a partial script for my appearance on "Saturday Date" and for some reason Dick played "Remove The Doubt" on his show. His choice surprised me and I should have asked him why made that choice, but being so young and inexperienced, I would never have though of it.

As well, in reply to an earlier request for information from Bluerock via Marv2 there was the odd appearance by a Motown group on "A Go Go '66" later renamed "It's Happening" broadcast on the CTV network in Toronto. I distinctly remember Jimmy Ruffin and Martha & The Vandellas appearing, but that was about it. Robbie Lane was the host and his band "the Disciples" covered top tunes of the day.
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 01-06-2016 at 09:55 PM.

I thought the Happening was pretty wacky myself!

Regarding radio programming...I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and our local radio station didn't program rock and roll until 1967 or so for two hours one night per week called "The Live 45." Hard to believe since Motown was from Detroit! We listened to a radio station out of Chicago but I can't recall the call letters but think they were WLS to get our rock and roll music.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    Regarding radio programming...I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and our local radio station didn't program rock and roll until 1967 or so for two hours one night per week called "The Live 45." Hard to believe since Motown was from Detroit! We listened to a radio station out of Chicago but I can't recall the call letters but think they were WLS to get our rock and roll music.
    Wow. You all could not get CKLW?