[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yvonne Fair would be a great subject for a compilation, and Ace did look at the idea. But there's just not enough material from her early years to make a CD, unfortunately - just four or five unreleased tracks, I think, and not all of those are in a fit state to merit release.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    1 Edwin Starr lost and found, 2 Spinners vol 2 , 3 the originals lost and found please............................................ ............
    Keith Hughes i see you commented on the Yvonne Fair unreleased forgot to add to list,MAYBE you could comment on my little list,Dare you,please.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Yvonne Fair would be a great subject for a compilation, and Ace did look at the idea. But there's just not enough material from her early years to make a CD, unfortunately - just four or five unreleased tracks, I think, and not all of those are in a fit state to merit release.
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Ivy Jo Hunter.

Sounds good to me.
    Oooh yes, now that one does sound right up ACE's back alley!

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Keith Hughes i see you commented on the Yvonne Fair unreleased forgot to add to list,MAYBE you could comment on my little list,Dare you,please.
    I wasn't going to comment - really I can only tell you what CAN'T be done - but it's hard to resist a dare.

It's a nice list!

honest man Guest
    I wasn't going to comment - really I can only tell you what CAN'T be done - but it's hard to resist a dare. Whoa mate you are a tease ha,something to think about,cheers Keith.

It's a nice list!
    Whoa mate you are a tease ha,something to think about,cheers Keith.

Now, The Originals and The Spinners are my faves, so it's bound to be Edwin lol - but I shan't be disappointed I'm sure!

How about Supremes A Go Go Expanded Edition?

Why oh why can't ACE pick up on this series and bring it back to CD?

I'm with LakeDistrictLad1! PLEASE, Ace! Pick up the Supremes' expanded edition album series! You've been doing it for Lesley Gore's Mercury albums, so how about sprinkling your magic over The Supremes? It's "A' Go-Go"'s 50th Anniversary in August and it appears nothing will be released to capitalize upon it. I would love to see the release of Edwin Starr, The Originals, Blinky, Ivy Jo Hunter, and even Gladys Knight and The Pips "previously unreleased" sets, but The Supremes still deserve a little bit of that love, too! "Help us, Ace-Wan CD-Obi! You're our only hope!"

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Now, The Originals and The Spinners are my faves, so it's bound to be Edwin lol - but I shan't be disappointed I'm sure!
    The Originals have quite a bit of previously released material I'd like to see reissued, namely the "Naturally Together" lp. Plus the unreleased solo album from C.P. Spencer!

"The Only Time You Love Me Is When You're Losing Me" is up there in my top 3 Motown all time list. There's also "Definitions".

In terms of the Ace Motown releases, the only one I haven't bought is the Mary Wells twofer. I don't really understand the point of that release.

Sorry folks, but as for Ace for me, I'd rather wish they'd do something with the very much not Motown-related: Patti Drew. Her CD prices on Amazon is just out-of-print priced ludicrous! C'mon, they've brought Bettye Swann back to print, how about Patti? Come on, Ace - you've got quite an ear for "Northern Soul"!

Motown - How about....Lost & Found: Ric-Tic Edwin Starr? As listened on "Soul Master", he had just as much sweat and threat, as an Atlantic / Stax soul star, once upon a time.

Or, a two disc, career retrospective, 60s-80s, of Carolyn Crawford?
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-08-2016 at 02:37 AM.

honest man Guest
    "The Only Time You Love Me Is When You're Losing Me" is up there in my top 3 Motown all time list. There's also "Definitions".
    TOTYLMIWYLM im sure has been issued on cd Essential collection-Spectrum cd,cheers,yes Definitions-Game called love albums etc are excellent,reckon i will give them a burn this weekend.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Sorry folks, but as for Ace for me, I'd rather wish they'd do something with the very much not Motown-related: Patti Drew. Her CD prices on Amazon is just out-of-print priced ludicrous! C'mon, they've brought Bettye Swann back to print, how about Patti? Come on, Ace - you've got quite an ear for "Northern Soul"!

Motown - How about....Lost & Found: Ric-Tic Edwin Starr? As listened on "Soul Master", he had just as much sweat and threat, as an Atlantic / Stax soul star, once upon a time.

Or, a two disc, career retrospective, 60s-80s, of Carolyn Crawford?
    Great idea with putting Patti Drew [[with and without the Drew-Vels) back in print with a collection given the Ace treatment!

I also would love to see Ace do either an Edwin Starr: Ric-Tic set OR [[possibly even better) and entire set of Ric-Tic and Golden World releases!

...my fave track from their Def-I-Ni-Tions LP ...still awaiting its first CD appearance...!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxouBxqD4d0

could there be a teaser on the facebook page for DRATS expanded editions ??????

RossHolloway Guest
    Isn't 2016 also the 50th Anniversary of the Motown Monday series, recorded Live at the Roostertail in Detroit?... That would make for a great release. OR... how about a continuation of the Complete Motown Single Series, picking up in 1973.

RossHolloway Guest
    Isn't 2016 also the 50th Anniversary of the Motown Monday series, recorded Live at the Roostertail in Detroit?... That would make for a great release. OR... how about a continuation of the Complete Motown Single Series, picking up in 1973.

RossHolloway Guest
    Sorry for the double post. On the DR&TS Expanded Edition Facebook page, it does have pics of the two 45 singles from the A Go Go album, interesting that they are both the Tamala Motown picture sleeves. Not sure if that means anything...

This is the only pic I'm interested in seeing on the DRATS expanded Facebook page...

Name:  CD_1.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  24.2 KB

I've been informed that my order of Jimmy Ruffin's "The Groove Governor" has now been dispatched. Yippee....

Hey, me, too, mysterysinger! Just got an email from Amazon [[U.S.) stating that my CD copy of Jimmy Ruffin's "Groove Governor" will be here tomorrow [[Friday)! Can hardly wait!

My Jimmy Ruffin "The Groove Governor" has been dispatched too. Earlier than expected. So glad to have this great album on CD at last.

Considering Jimmy was more popular in the U.K than in the U.S at the time this lp was released - I'd love to know why it didn't get a U.K release back then. Very odd.

It seems Tamla Motown were wanting to exhaust the back catalogue at that time before putting out the newer material.

That album was not easy to obtain in the UK as an import at the time. [[He says speaking from experience)

Mind you, the UK did get "jimmy Ruffin...Forever" which paired some tracks from "The Groove Governor" with recent re-released hit songs. As a bonus we also got the Sounds Superb album later on which included tracks not issued in the US?

"The Groove Governor"
    Let's Say Goodbye, Tomorrow *
    Maria [[You Were The Only One) *
    Honey Come Back *
    Our Favorite Melody *
    Living In A World I Created For Myself *
    If You Will Let Me, I Know I Can *
    This Guy's In Love With You *
    On The Way Out [[On The Way In) @
    Take A Letter Maria *
    You Gave Me Love *
    Just Before Love Ends @
    Gathering Memories @

"Jimmy Ruffin...Forever"
    Farewell Is A Lonely Sound
    Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
    Our Favourite Melody *
    Maria [[If You Were The Only One) *
    Living In A World I Created For Myself *
    Let's Say Goodbye Tomorrow *
    This Guy's In Love With You *
    I'll Say Forever My Love
    Take A Letter Maria *
    Honey Come Back *
    That's Me Loving You
    You Gave Me Love *
    If You Will Let Me I Know I Can *
    Don't Take Away My Rose-Coloured Glasses

"I've Passed This Way Before [[Sounds Superb"
    I've Passed This Way Before
    I've Got You Girl
    Do You Feel The Way You Make Me Feel?
    I Will Never Let You Get Away
    Born To Be Bad
    It's A Desperate Situation
    Thanks But No Thanks
    Kickin' Stones
    I Never Loved Nobody But You
    On The Way Out [[On The Way In) @
    Gathering Memories @
    Just Before Love Ends @

My copy of Jimmy Ruffin's "Groove Governor" CD arrived on Friday. A lot must have happened in a short time because Thursday morning I received an email from Amazon stating that they finally had an American release date of August 5. By Thursday afternoon, however, I received a shipping confirmation that my CD had not only been shipped, it would be delivered the next day [[Friday), as part of my Amazon Prime membership. And it indeed arrived Friday, as promised!

The CD is great, as expected! The packaging is a cardboard replica of the original front and back album cover. Surprisingly, unlike the original, the CD cover opens like a book. The entire album cover -- inside and out -- is made of a high quality, shiny cardboard [[lamination perhaps?) with the lyrics to each track printed inside the "book". Another surprise is that the CD label itself replicates the Motown label, rather than the Soul label as originally released. Not a problem; just an oddity and ever-so-slight disappointment authenticity-wise.

The sound quality of the CD digital transfer is excellent. It was remastered good and loud -- not obnoxiously loud to the point of distortion like some reissue labels were guilty of, but perfectly loud, just as Motown Select always remastered their reissue masterpieces. In other words, it sounds great and impressive on my portable Sony CD player. There were a few shrill moments in an occasional track, here and there, which I don't recall having existed in the original LP release, but my Sony Studio Monitor headphones, which have a lot of bass response [[down to 5 hz), helped to overcome that. I'm not sure how the CD would sound on another set of headphones without good bass response, but that's a matter of personal opinion.

Overall, to my eyes and ears, Jimmy Ruffin's "The Groove Governor" CD is a huge success! At last, I can replace the download-to-CD version that I created last year and replace it with the real deal!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-25-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    My copy of Jimmy Ruffin's "Groove Governor" CD arrived on Friday. A lot must have happened in a short time because Thursday morning I received an email from Amazon stating that they finally had an American release date of August 5. By Thursday afternoon, however, I received a shipping confirmation that my CD had not only been shipped, it would be delivered the next day [[Friday), as part of my Amazon Prime membership. And it indeed arrived Friday, as promised!

The CD is great, as expected! The packaging is a cardboard replica of the original front and back album cover. Surprisingly, unlike the original, the CD cover opens like a book. The entire album cover -- inside and out -- is made of a high quality, shiny cardboard [[lamination perhaps?) with the lyrics to each track printed inside the "book". Another surprise is that the CD label itself replicates the Motown label, rather than the Soul label as originally released. Not a problem; just an oddity and ever-so-slight disappointment authenticity-wise.

The sound quality of the CD digital transfer is excellent. It was remastered good and loud -- not obnoxiously loud to the point of distortion like some reissue labels were guilty of, but perfectly loud, just as Motown Select always remastered their reissue masterpieces. In other words, it sounds great and impressive on my portable Sony CD player. There were a few shrill moments in an occasional track, here and there, which I don't recall having existed in the original LP release, but my Sony Monitor headphones, which have a lot of bass response [[down to 5 hz), helped to overcome that. I'm not sure how the CD would sound on another set of headphones without good bass response, but that's a matter of personal opinion.

Overall, to my eyes and ears, Jimmy Ruffin's "The Groove Governor" CD is a huge success! At last, I can replace the download-to-CD version that I created last year and replace it with the real deal!
    What record company released this CD? I don't mean where you purchased it , but rather who put it out. Thanks in advance!

It is an Elemental release. Elemental has hitherto been a jazz oriented label but they now have several Motown and other titles in their catalogue. These all seem to have the quality sleeves with fold out covers.

honest man Guest
    ACE Crew give us a clue..................................

RossHolloway Guest
    Has Syreeta unreleased material ever been considered for a release?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Has Syreeta unreleased material ever been considered for a release?
    I believe that Syreeta's THE SPELL is her only unreleased album on CD.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I believe that Syreeta's THE SPELL is her only unreleased album on CD.
    I was thinking more along the lines of her early work in the late 60's. It seems I recall reading where she has enough unreleased tracks for a collection [[20+ unreleased songs)

Arrived today - Elemental my dear Watson.Attachment 11558

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Blinky would be a great release, but didn't another record company have the rights to the Blinky recordings and had planned a release before the company stopped putting out releases? I believe they were also suppose to put out a project on Ivy Jo Hunter.
    They did, but I don't remember the label. I think they had an Ivy Jo Hunter release announced as well. Poor Blinky! She must have had more stuff left behind than almost any other singer at Motown! If not for the Motortown Revue Live LP, where she actually has a generous 3 or 4 tracks, I don't think she's had any other tracks released except those few on the comps.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

I cannot wait to get this one...!

What a shame that is! I think her "Bitch is Black" album was the most smokin' hot of Motown releases of that just post-Golden Age of Motown and pre-Disco eras. That lady should have recorded lots of albums. Her voice reminds me a lot of Vicki Anderson, who also didn't record enough!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I cannot wait to get this one...!
    Hey, Kenny! By all means, get it! I've been in love with Jimmy's "Groove Governor" from the day it hit the streets as part of Motown's massive album release schedule during the Fall of 1970 [[alongside Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "Natural Resources", Wanda's "Return Of The Marvelettes", and countless other top-shelf product from Motown's finest. Jimmy's "Groove Governor" was among the best of them. Hearing it remastered on CD from the mastertapes is a whole new experience you won't soon forget. Paul Riser's musical arrangements and The Andantes glorious harmonies never sounded better! As always, Jimmy Ruffin shines throughout!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-29-2016 at 01:59 PM.

honest man Guest
    AAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH I CAN'T STAND THE SILENCE,any hints on ACE next Motown release is it Various,male,Female, group just a little nod please lads.cheers.

It certainly is a very sad state of affairs. I have never known such quiet times... Bring back Paul Nixon I say, what a fab job he did on the Cellarful, Anthologies [[Brenda, Barbara M, Velvelettes, Kim, Isleys), Motown Collections [[Barbara R, Bobby T, Chuck J) etc.

ACE may be doing a great job at the moment, and although the releases are great, they are a little slow...
    What we need is a drive from the Motown UK offices [[Do they still have a Motown division here?).
    I am surprised "Motown The Musical" hasn't set them off on a massive re-release. Oh well, gonna have to revisit the Cellarful sets I guess.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeville View Post
    It certainly is a very sad state of affairs. I have never known such quiet times... Bring back Paul Nixon I say, what a fab job he did on the Cellarful, Anthologies [[Brenda, Barbara M, Velvelettes, Kim, Isleys), Motown Collections [[Barbara R, Bobby T, Chuck J) etc.

ACE may be doing a great job at the moment, and although the releases are great, they are a little slow...
    What we need is a drive from the Motown UK offices [[Do they still have a Motown division here?).
    I am surprised "Motown The Musical" hasn't set them off on a massive re-release. Oh well, gonna have to revisit the Cellarful sets I guess.

Wayne
    Wayne,

I can't speak for Paul but I'm sure he would still love to be doing more of those glorious Motown packages. I suspect the folks at UK Universal/Motown are not interested in the Motown back catalogue apart from the same old soup, so to speak.

Ivor

[QUOTE=wedgeville;342314]

Personally I think their release pace is perfect. It gives me a chance to actually listen to the latest release rather than just sticking it in on a shelf and clamouring for more.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a shame that is! I think her "Bitch is Black" album was the most smokin' hot of Motown releases of that just post-Golden Age of Motown and pre-Disco eras.
    Yvonne's It Should Have Been Me is the definitive version of that song. Great a;lbum. Was extremely happy to get a cd release of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Yvonne's It Should Have Been Me is the definitive version of that song. Great a;lbum. Was extremely happy to get a cd release of it.
    Yes, and the notes on the reissue are very informative, and the mastering is excellent. I love "It Should Have Been Me!" Also, love "It's Bad for Me to See You" and "You Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover." That was an album you partied to!

Does anyone else think that "If You Will Let Me, I Know I Can" is a mess?

[QUOTE=lakedistrictlad1;342333]
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgeville View Post

Personally I think their release pace is perfect. It gives me a chance to actually listen to the latest release rather than just sticking it in on a shelf and clamouring for more.
    One or two releases a year isn't enough for me. I'll take download only if it means getting more out - plus download only doesn't need shelf space.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Wayne,

I can't speak for Paul but I'm sure he would still love to be doing more of those glorious Motown packages. I suspect the folks at UK Universal/Motown are not interested in the Motown back catalogue apart from the same old soup, so to speak.

Ivor
    Thanks for those words both of you and you never know - situations can change all the time - you know my thoughts - never say never with Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Thanks for those words both of you and you never know - situations can change all the time - you know my thoughts - never say never with Motown.
    That's the spirit Paul. Stay optimistic!

Ivor

Ace have a couple of Motown CDs almost ready to go into production - just waiting for a few more tracks to be cleared. I'll post again as soon as there's a scheduled release date for the first of them.
    Anything on this ...any news?

RossHolloway Guest
    BUMP for POST #131 and #133!!!