[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "Baby Love - The Essential Diana Ross & The Supremes" 3 disc box set coming soon from Spectrum. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Love-E...eywords=Motown

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Any information on content?
    There are other threads on this, but for the sake of completeness, this is the track list shown by a reviewer on Amazon...

CD 1
    1. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
    2. BABY LOVE
    3. YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE
    4. COME SEE ABOUT ME
    5. BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN
    6. BUTTERED POPCORN
    7. YOUR HEART BELONGS TO ME
    8. LET ME GO THE RIGHT WAY
    9. A BREATHTAKING GUY
    10. NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES
    11. WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS SHINING THROUGH HIS EYES
    12. YOU CAN'T DO THAT
    13. BABY DOLL
    14. CHAIN GANG
    15. BEACH BALL
    16. THE BOY FROM IPANEMA
    17. UNCHAINED MELODY
    18. THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING
    19. BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING
    CD 2
    1. YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON
    2. LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART
    3. THIS OLD HEART OF MINE [[IS WEAK FOR YOU)
    4. GOING DOWN FOR THE THIRD TIME
    5. [[LOVE IS LIKE A) HEATWAVE
    6. THE HAPPENING
    7. REFLECTIONS
    8. ODE TO BILLIE JOE
    9. FOREVER CAME TODAY
    10. HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU
    11. DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
    12. LOVE CHILD
    13. DOES YOUR MAMA KNOW ABOUT ME
    14. HONEY BEE [[KEEP ON STINGING ME)
    15. EVERYDAY PEOPLE
    16. NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE
    17. I'M LIVIN' IN SHAME
    18. STORMY
    19. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER
    CD 3
    1. UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF
    2. I GOT HURT [[TRYING TO BE THE ONLY GIRL IN YOUR LIFE)
    3. STONED LOVE
    4. NA NA HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE
    5. NATHAN JONES
    6. JOHNNY RAVEN
    7. OVER AND OVER
    8. FLOY JOY
    9. BAD WEATHER
    10. I KEEP IT HID
    11. 5.30 PLANE
    12. THE SHOOP SHOOP SONG [[IT'S IN HIS KISS)
    13. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE
    14. EARLY MORNING LOVE
    15. HE'S MY MAN
    16. I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING
    17. HIGH ENERGY
    18. YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL
    19. LET YOURSELF GO
    20. LOVE I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD FEEL SO GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    More Rare Earth to be released on Culture Factory this year so keep a watch on their website if you're interested.
    http://culturefactoryusa.com/268-motown
    Would love to see "Midnight Lady", "Band Together" and "Grand Slam" released on CD.

Apparently this was released on 23 September. Here's one comment from an Amazon customer.

"I too have pre-ordered this and have already received the mp3 version from Amazon. The mp3 version is NOT the Supremes, well certainly not Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Flo Ballard or Cindy Birdsong. It's the FLOS, complete with tinny, cheap musical accompaniment. If the CD arrives and it is the same it will be sent straight back".

Amazon had [[and still have) great difficulty in distinguishing this new 3 CD set from an earlier release, also called "Baby Love" which was indeed of far inferior quality. I believe this will have cost Motown/Spectrum/Universal several £s by seriously damaging pre-release sales. They continue to do so!

Amazon had [[and still have) great difficulty in distinguishing this new 3 CD set from an earlier release, also called "Baby Love" which was indeed of far inferior quality. I believe this will have cost Motown/Spectrum/Universal several £s by seriously damaging pre-release sales. They continue to do so!
    Is this the one you're speaking of?

http://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment...6&d=1327349783

The one you want will look like this.....
    Attachment 11735

The one you want will look like this.....
    Attachment 11735
    I realize yours is the "right" one. I bought the one I provided a link for a few months ago, knowing that it was a FLOS affair. However, the casual buyer would be misled by the incorrect billing and cover art. I was just wondering if my link was indeed the FLOS CD you were speaking of.

Amazon seem to have great trouble distinguishing the new 3 CD set from this earlier CD.Attachment 11739

The Complete Tri Phi Records Vol 1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Tr...ywords=tri+phi

1. That's What Girls Are Made For The Spinners 2. Heebie Jeebies The Spinners 3. Carry Your Own Load Johnny & Jackey 4. So Disappointing Johnny & Jackey 5. Don't Let Them Tell Me [[Tell Me Yourself) Lorri Rudolph 6. Grieving About A Love Lorri Rudolph 7. Love [[I'm So Glad) I Found You The Spinners 8. Sudbuster The Spinners 9. Someday We'll Be Together Johnny & Jackey 10. Sho Don't Play Johnny & Jackey 11. I'll Be Here Shorty Long 12. Bad Willie Shorty Long 13. What Did She Use The Spinners 14. Itchin' For My Baby [[But I Don't Know What To Scratch) The Spinners 15. You Got Me Crying Again Davenport Sisters 16. Hoy Hoy Davenport Sisters 17. Do You Know Him Jordan Harmonisers 18. I Won't Mind Jordan Harmonisers 19. Whistling About You - Harvey 20. She Loves Me So - Harvey 21. Midnite Session [[Part 1) Merced Blue Notes 22. Midnite Sessions [[Part 2) Merced Blue Notes 23. Honey Honey Honey Challengers III 24. Stay With Me Challengers III

The Complete Tri Phi Records Vol 1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Tr...ywords=tri+phi

1. That's What Girls Are Made For The Spinners 2. Heebie Jeebies The Spinners 3. Carry Your Own Load Johnny & Jackey 4. So Disappointing Johnny & Jackey 5. Don't Let Them Tell Me [[Tell Me Yourself) Lorri Rudolph 6. Grieving About A Love Lorri Rudolph 7. Love [[I'm So Glad) I Found You The Spinners 8. Sudbuster The Spinners 9. Someday We'll Be Together Johnny & Jackey 10. Sho Don't Play Johnny & Jackey 11. I'll Be Here Shorty Long 12. Bad Willie Shorty Long 13. What Did She Use The Spinners 14. Itchin' For My Baby [[But I Don't Know What To Scratch) The Spinners 15. You Got Me Crying Again Davenport Sisters 16. Hoy Hoy Davenport Sisters 17. Do You Know Him Jordan Harmonisers 18. I Won't Mind Jordan Harmonisers 19. Whistling About You - Harvey 20. She Loves Me So - Harvey 21. Midnite Session [[Part 1) Merced Blue Notes 22. Midnite Sessions [[Part 2) Merced Blue Notes 23. Honey Honey Honey Challengers III 24. Stay With Me Challengers III
    This one sounds interesting. Thank you Mysterysinger.

This is also on Amazon US at a bargain price of $4.99--but there's not much info included. Who is releasing this? Has the music been remastered or are these vinyl transfers? How many eventual volumes are anticipated to be in the "complete" set?

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tri-.../dp/B01LD3F1NS
    Last edited by danman869; 10-24-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Adding web address

It is a vinyl transfer set from Hallmark. Hence the bargain price.
    However these are usually very good. They also did a Harvey release.
    Don't know how many volumes there will be

Does anyone have any idea what's coming from Ace/Kent that was hinted at earlier in this thread [[other than the Syreeta collection)? It'd be nice to have something exciting to look forward to before Christmas!

Well this one has somehow passed me by but I saw it in HMV at £9.99 today. The Jackson 5 with 5 classic albums. It is a Spectrum release along the lines of their quite recent set featuring Motown Chartbusters Volumes 1 to 5. The J5 albums have all been released on CD before, of course, but not with the Tamla Motown logo as is the case with this set. If they're like the Chartbusters issue, they will be exquisite reproductions of the UK album sleeves and laminated to boot. Might have to get me a set for the novelty value - I do like this sort of thing. Hopefully there'll be more UK CD mini LP sets if these sell OK - wouldn't that be great, and at a great price too? Just imagine, Junior Walker, Martha, 16 Big Hits, Supremes novelties [[Liverpool, Sam Cooke, Country Western Pop etc.) all as mini LPs. Great thought;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-A...ords=jackson+5

Excuse my ignorance, but are the San Remo Strings related to Gordon Staples at all? I enjoyed the "Strung Out" LP so much, if there's anything similar in Motown's catalog I definitely want to get my hands on it!

Yes, Mary, back in the late 1960's, Motown released two San Remo Golden Strings albums on its Gordy label -- "Hungry For Love" and "Swing". The contents of both albums are available on a Marginal Records CD, although the CD is out of print and the price gougers are out in full force. Here is the least expensive copy I could find on Amazon [[U.S.) through a 3rd-party dealer. The sound quality is excellent, as in master-tape quality, although rumors abound that it is a bootleg. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hungry-Love...golden+strings

Quote Originally Posted by marymary View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but are the San Remo Strings related to Gordon Staples at all? I enjoyed the "Strung Out" LP so much, if there's anything similar in Motown's catalog I definitely want to get my hands on it!
    Gordon Staples "Strung Out" is one of the few LPs of this genre that have had a legitimate re-release on CD:-

Strung Out
    Gordon Staples & The String Thing
    Reel Music CD 2009
    66748-78014-2

The San Remo Golden Strings albums are well worth a listen if you like the Gordon Staples kind of thing and the CD mentioned by Gary is very good [[but all the Marginal releases are bootlegs). Slightly more of a beat than Gordon Staples. They're overdue for a proper CD release.

Also available on a Marginal bootleg are the tracks from the Choker Campbell "Hits Of The Sixties" album [[Motown done in a "big band" sound).

You might like the Joe Harnell album, "Moving On" which is more of a piano based sound [[think of Ferrante and Teicher maybe). But not yet available on CD. Also not yet on CD is the Impact of Brass album "Down At The Brassworks" - a brassy sound as the title suggests.

More akin to the true Motown Sound are the instrumental Earl Van Dyke tracks which are all now readily available.

As always, YouTube has a bit of a selection if you wish to preview. Here's "Day By Day Or Never" by The San Remo Golden Strings.

This thread might also be of use to you.....
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...members-photos