[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight in Los Angeles, New Year's Eve 2016

Gladys Knight ushered in 2016 with style at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. She performed two shows on December 31st. I attended the 2nd show of the evening. As others here have noted, Ms. Knight is still in full command of her vocal magic. To my ears, her voice is as full, rich and expressive as it has ever been. She is in great shape, seemed in great spirits and was full of energy. Gladys gave us most of her big hits, including "If I Were Your Woman", "Heard It Through The Grapevine", "Neither One Of Us", and "Midnight Train." She did a little of "Every Beat of My Heart." All we got from the 80s and 90s was "Landlord" and "Love Overboard." And nothing from the 'Claudine' soundtrack [[my favorite!) Even so, it was a wonderful performance that climaxed with a rousing gospel anthem to herald the New Year. Also, the legendary Dionne Warwick was in attendance cheering her on and she looked great.

Sad footnote: Natalie Cole was scheduled to perform for us on NYE but withdrew a few weeks ago and was replaced by Gladys. I believe Natalie and Gladys were longtime friends. Natalie affectionately referred to Gladys as her "Big Sis."

I wish i could have been there. Legend is a word not quite worthy of this remarkable woman.When i saw her in the UK a few months back she was sensational but it looks like her set list was different. she did the Bond theme ~"licensed to kill" which was a big hit over here and a few early Motown hits such as "take me in your arms" and "just walk in my shoes". I guess she changes her set list as and when required.
    Glad you appreciated the show.

Gladys, Gladys, Gladys...