[REMOVE ADS]

Songs that are just too long!

I was listening to Chaka Khan's 1982 album, and decided to listen to it from start to finish, but, the album's opener "Tearin' It Up" seemed to drone on forever and ever and ever. It was so boring! That's why I usually skip past it.

What other songs can you think of that are just too damn long, and would have benefitted from a few judicious edits?

Isaac Haye's "I Stand Accused" from 1970 LOL!

^ Oddly enough I don't mind that Isaac one being long but his cover of "Something" was just like "when in the hell is it gonna end?!" LOL

Great topic..Hey Jude .. It sure feels too long!!

I love the temps but[masterpiece]is too loooooooooong,hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I love the temps but[masterpiece]is too loooooooooong,hehe.
    Oh yeah... that track got tiresome after eight minutes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great topic..Hey Jude .. It sure feels too long!!
    It's one of the longest. "American Pie" always seems like it is never going to end!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It's one of the longest. "American Pie" always seems like it is never going to end!
    I know that...I was requested to sing it at a Karaoke bar one night...But the worst was Norman Greenbaums Spirit In The Sky...A girl asked me to sing it one night...and I thought that sucker would NEVER end...Obviously, in the early days of Rock & Roll, in order to get a song played on AM Radio, it had to cut close to the 2 minute mark...While songs stretched out a bit through the 60's, but with the onset of AOR [[Album Oriented Rock) stations of the 70's on FM Radio, there was a great deal more latitude for artists to expand their material, and with the virtual elimination of 45's in favor of albums...the marketable song got longer and longer...

I'm a huge P-Funk fan, but George Clinton created and it the longest side-of-an-album dominating songs ever. The album version of "[[Not Just) Knee Deep" was something like 15 minutes long. And he produced "More Bounce To The Ounce", which was itself more than ten minutes long.

When I deejayed parties and needed a break, I'd play "Knee Deep", "More Bounce", and the long versions of "One Nation Under a Groove", "Atomic Dog", and "Aqua Boogie". I knew people would rush the floor and I also knew I had about 15 minutes to relax.

The funny thing is, they were too long, but when I made mix tapes I never used the short edits because I was in love with the epics. So, a quarter of a 60 minute tape would be one song.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 01-04-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm a huge P-Funk fan, but George Clinton created and it the longest side-of-an-album dominating songs ever. The album version of "[[Not Just) Knee Deep" was something like 15 minutes long. And he produced "More Bounce To The Ounce", which was itself more than ten minutes long.

When I deejayed parties and needed a break, I'd play "Knee Deep", "More Bounce", and the long versions of "One Nation Under a Groove", "Atomic Dog", and "Aqua Boogie". I knew people would rush the floor and I also knew I had about 15 minutes to relax.

The funny thing is, they were too long, but when I made mix tapes I never used the short edits because I was in love with the epics. So, a quarter of a 60 minute tape would be one song.
    Oh yeah! [[Not Just) Knee Deep! We had to dance to it! You'd look like a punk if you walked off the floor and couldn't hang! LOL! Damn that was a long record.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I know that...I was requested to sing it at a Karaoke bar one night...But the worst was Norman Greenbaums Spirit In The Sky...A girl asked me to sing it one night...and I thought that sucker would NEVER end...Obviously, in the early days of Rock & Roll, in order to get a song played on AM Radio, it had to cut close to the 2 minute mark...While songs stretched out a bit through the 60's, but with the onset of AOR [[Album Oriented Rock) stations of the 70's on FM Radio, there was a great deal more latitude for artists to expand their material, and with the virtual elimination of 45's in favor of albums...the marketable song got longer and longer...
    It [[American Pie) was one of our drinking songs back in my college days. Suffice to say were were quite inebriated by the time we got to song #3 LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-05-2016 at 12:50 AM.

"Trans-Europe Express" by Kraftwerk was a long one.

What's funny is that we have been told for decades that "Hey Jude" was the very first single to run over seven minutes. The truth is that ABC/Dunhill mono 45 of Richard Harris' "Mac Arthur Park" came out months before "Hey Jude" and clocked in at 7:20, while the Apple mono 45 of "Hey Jude" only did 7:15.

The only P-Funk song I think is too long is "One Nation Under A Groove", and that is probably because not only do I not enjoy it, but I think the arrangement is dull. I know it's probably the most popular Funkadelic track, but I never liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The only P-Funk song I think is too long is "One Nation Under A Groove", and that is probably because not only do I not enjoy it, but I think the arrangement is dull. I know it's probably the most popular Funkadelic track, but I never liked it.
    "One Nation" is likely my favorite Funkadelic track and "Big Bang Theory" is my Parliament jam along with "Flash Light". The only reason to play the long version of "One Nation" is the guitar solo, though. By the fifth minute or so, there's not much improvisation going on. At least the long version wasn't on the album.

- Rappers Delight [[12 min. version)
    - Blinded By the Light - long version [[Manfred Mann)
    - We are the Champions [[Queen)
    - Rocky Mountain Way [[REALLY long version)
    - Somebody Else's Guy - long version [[Jocelyn Brown) [[I broke a heel on my shoe off that one)
    - By the Time I get to Phoenix [[Issac Hayes)

Now don't get me wrong - I love ALL of these and have them in my playlist....

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    - Rappers Delight [[12 min. version)
    - Blinded By the Light - long version [[Manfred Mann)
    - We are the Champions [[Queen)
    - Rocky Mountain Way [[REALLY long version)
    - Somebody Else's Guy - long version [[Jocelyn Brown) [[I broke a heel on my shoe off that one)
    - By the Time I get to Phoenix [[Issac Hayes)

Now don't get me wrong - I love ALL of these and have them in my playlist....
    I cannot agree with any of these! And, you'll be shocked to know that the 12" single of "Rapper's Delight" clocks in at over 16 minutes, unless your turntable is running way too fast.

I love all the P-Funk long extended jams [[same with James Brown though Escape-ism is probably an exception to that lol).

"Phoenix" is one of my brother's all time favorite of songs he mixed. The song blew him away from the start.

Was just read about the uproar between the Temptations and Norman Whitfield over Papa Was A Rolling Stone and how it went on forever and how many edits there are of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    "Phoenix" is one of my brother's all time favorite of songs he mixed. The song blew him away from the start.
    Expertly done, too!

Eddie Grant's "Frontline" seemed very, very long.

I cannot agree with any of these! And, you'll be shocked to know that the 12" single of "Rapper's Delight" clocks in at over 16 minutes, unless your turntable is running way too fast.
    I love every second of the 16 min version!!

the floaters - 1977 - float on 11 minutes 47

Quote Originally Posted by ysl View Post
    Good googly moogly... We have a winner, folks! There was absolutely no need for this monstrosity to be as long as it was other than to cover for a lack of filler material on the LP. Don't get me wrong, the song itself is fine; a classic slow jam. But the construction is too simplistic to justify the long version. It was a party killer. I mean honestly, who can belly rub that long with the same chick?!

Did you forget "Love To Love You Baby" by Donna Summer, or "In-A Gadda-Da-Vida" by Vanilla Fudge? They were longer.

Did you forget "Love To Love You Baby" by Donna Summer, or "In-A Gadda-Da-Vida" by Vanilla Fudge? They were longer.
    Good choices. But then, there were a great many disco versions of songs that played for 10-15 minutes. I still have a bunch on my shelf.

I find listening to it a cathartic experience, but Don McLean is best listened to live in a small arena where the artist's personality can breathe life into a song. His "Chain Lightning" seems to go on forever on record, yet seems too short when heard in concert.

Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" would have been much too long even if it had only lasted ten seconds. [Last time I posted that comment here on a similar topic, one of the SDF members remarked that it would have made an interesting video though at that length.]

LOL. I couldn't disagree more. Easily one of my favorite records regardless of genre, different parts of that song play in endless loops in my mind at any given time.

See... there it goes again!!

LOL. I couldn't disagree more. Easily one of my favorite records regardless of genre, different parts of that song play in endless loops in my mind at any given time.

See... there it goes again!!
    I think it's brilliant,. especially for the band making it up on the spot in the studio.

Soulster,
    In a Godda Davida was performed by Iron Butterfly.

Soulster,
    That is right. I have the original album!

Soulster,
    Oops! I do know that! I just typed the wrong band's name.

I figured you knew it, Soul.

Good googly moogly... We have a winner, folks! There was absolutely no need for this monstrosity to be as long as it was other than to cover for a lack of filler material on the LP. Don't get me wrong, the song itself is fine; a classic slow jam. But the construction is too simplistic to justify the long version. It was a party killer. I mean honestly, who can belly rub that long with the same chick?!
    It's exactly what you said

Quote Originally Posted by ysl View Post
    Oh yeah , how well I remember. Came in handy on dates, hehehehehehehehehe........

I figured you knew it, Soul.
    I have both bands in my collection, but somehow always mix them up.

Love to Love You Baby is like an invitation to a minutes-long sex orgy! LMAO even now you feel like you're stuck in that time period, bodies all around the floor under a strobe light lol

Of course you know I'm going to disagree. Knee Deep isn't 15 minutes long. It's 15 minutes too short. Same goes for all of the other P-Funk extended jams.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Of course you know I'm going to disagree. Knee Deep isn't 15 minutes long. It's 15 minutes too short. Same goes for all of the other P-Funk extended jams.
    LOL. Don't take me wrong. It is only too long after you've heard it, timmyfunk. I'm cool for as long as it's playing but after it goes off, you look at the clock and realize that half a side of your cassette is gone. But the car was bumping for as long as it was playing. I'm a huge George Clinton fan, especially during the Casablanca and WB years. One of the first records I bought after I got my first job was "Gloryhallastoopid" and I'm one of the few who love every cut on that LP.

There can be too much of a good thing.