[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Natalie Cole - RIP

So shocked and saddened to hear reports of the death of Natalie Cole, just aged 65, it is reported of congestive heart failure.

What a true Talent, she definitely followed in her Father's Great Footsteps, Rest in Peace Dear Natalie, if early reports are correct.

I just saw it on Twitter! So sad. I grew up on her stuff. RIP.

My God, what a shock! Just a few hours ago -- after ringing in the New Year -- we were watching the Andrea Bocelli "My Christmas" DVD. Natalie sang her father's "The Christmas Song [[Chestnuts Roasting....) as a duet with Andrea. We were amazed at how great she still looks and sounds. And now she's gone. Damn! A classy and talented lady, may she rest in peace.

Sadly here in the UK BBC News just announced it as a Breaking Story, still in shock, so sad.

Very sad news. Natalie was a fine performer in her own right. An awful way to start the New Year,

I read this morning on FB and I am in complete shock. A and I was talking about Ms Cole wonderful talent yesterday. We both marveled at the different genre that Ms Cole mastered with no effort, rock, jazz, soul, pop and gospel. Rest In Paradise Ms Cole

I just read it,sad way to start the new year but natalie's music will live on forever just as her father's has...god bless her spirit and may she sing with her father in heaven.

May she be with the Good Lord in his heavenly mansion and with both her fathers. God and Mr Nat King Cole. I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl a few. Years ago and she was magnificennt. Thank you for the music and may your voice be soring in Heaven.

Roberta

I just saw this shocking news. I remember growing up to her father's music playing in the house by my parents. She was a dynamo. I always enjoyed her music. Well, she's back with her dad now. RIP Natalie.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/01/entert...inkId=20029721
    Last edited by RTA6226; 01-01-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Rest In Heaven Natalie..........I will always hear "No Plans For The Future". :-)

I am sorry to hear this. Rest in peace Natalie and thank you doll.

Marv

Being that CNN neglected to mention Natalie's biggest, most memorable hits I felt this one is most appropriate at this time. From the Fall of 1977, "Our Love"

Natalie Cole is such a legend and sorely underrated! She left a really indelible mark on pop culture on her own merit. May she rest in peace. Only 65. Just sad, she went out so young.

I had no idea she was a multiple Grammy nominee for her 2013 Latin album!

Thank you for the great music.

You and Dad singing both solo and together was UNFORGETTABLE

edafan

Like everyone, I was shocked to hear the news and saddened by the loss of Natalie at such a relatively early age. A real talent like her father. It's good that her last project, the Latin album, was such a success. Thanks Natalie.

Terribly sad news indeed. In addition to all the songs mentioned so far as being favorites, for me it would have to be "Someone That I Used to Love," which was a relevant song for me at the time. As for the more danceable stuff, "Mr. Melody" was a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I had no idea she was a multiple Grammy nominee for her 2013 Latin album!
    In the mid to late seventies, Natalie and Donna Summer were the two most popular female vocalist with everyone I knew including myself. She had her own network television special in 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Terribly sad news indeed. In addition to all the songs mentioned so far as being favorites, for me it would have to be "Someone That I Used to Love," which was a relevant song for me at the time. As for the more danceable stuff, "Mr. Melody" was a classic.
    I also adore "stiutl". Streisand also did a good version but i will stick with Natalie's

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Being that CNN neglected to mention Natalie's biggest, most memorable hits I felt this one is most appropriate at this time. From the Fall of 1977, "Our Love"

Damn! That's the first song I thought if, too, even though it's not my favorite song by her.

In the mid to late seventies, Natalie and Donna Summer were the two most popular female vocalist with everyone I knew including myself. She had her own network television special in 1978.
    Not only that but she was one of the few black singers to get commercials. She helped to sell Posner cosmetics during the early to mid 1980s...

I was a huge fan of hers before most people had heard about her, meaning that as soon as her very first single "This will Be" was issued, I was on it!

I did lose interest with the "I Love You So" album, but in the last few years, I gave it a critical listen, and realized just how good it is, despite it's obvious nod to disco, which I really didn't care for too much at the time.

One thing that will annoy me is that they will call her an R&B artist, when she was pop artist all along. The only reason she swung toward R&B in 1976 is because the head of the Black Music division decided shen should do R&B. My guess is that there were some battles there.

I never did buy her last pop album on Verve. Perhaps I should now.

Aretha Franklin released a statement following her death:

I had to hold back the tears. I know how hard she fought. She fought for so long. She was one of the greatest singers of our time.

I'm guessing this was one of the last public pictures of her before she died [[click on the arrow, it's the second picture after the first)

http://photos.dailynews.com/2016/01/...-dies-at-65/#2

Still beautiful until the end.
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-01-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I was a huge fan of hers before most people had heard about her, meaning that as soon as her very first single "This will Be" was issued, I was on it!

I did lose interest with the "I Love You So" album, but in the last few years, I gave it a critical listen, and realized just how good it is, despite it's obvious nod to disco, which I really didn't care for too much at the time.

One thing that will annoy me is that they will call her an R&B artist, when she was pop artist all along. The only reason she swung toward R&B in 1976 is because the head of the Black Music division decided shen should do R&B. My guess is that there were some battles there.

I never did buy her last pop album on Verve. Perhaps I should now.
    I knew of Natalie Cole singing in bands out in LA before her first single "This Will Be". I liked that song, but I loved her work from roughly 1976-80 including the duet album with Peabo Bryson. Natalie songs had become so popular that girls would perform them at assemblies at my high school. "Annie Mae" rivaled the Whispers "Olivia" and this one played all summer long before I left for college:

​I first saw Natalie in an article that was in Ebony magazine about Nat in the 60's. She was about my age and I thought she was cute. When she started recording I felt that she was one of my peers and was glad for her success and her talent. Her death saddened me deeply. RIP Natalie.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Not only that but she was one of the few black singers to get commercials. She helped to sell Posner cosmetics during the early to mid 1980s...
    Those eyes of Natalie's, she had those sexy eyes........

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    ​I first saw Natalie in an article that was in Ebony magazine about Nat in the 60's. She was about my age and I thought she was cute. When she started recording I felt that she was one of my peers and was glad for her success and her talent. Her death saddened me deeply. RIP Natalie.
    I remember looking through old Ebony Magazines too and seeing a 5 year old Natalie with her father , mom Maria and big sister Carole who passed away a few years ago. The were the model family.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-02-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Those eyes of Natalie's, she had those sexy eyes........
    She was truly a gorgeous woman, inside and out.

Here is a great recap of Natalie's greatest hits:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/natalie-...181303396.html

Diana Ross

52 mins ·

From The King's Theater in Brooklyn Feb 2015.
    I will miss you my friend

From Mary: R.I.P. to my friend Natalie Cole. Touch — with Mary Wilson.

Three of my favorite ladies..................

Name:  Freda, Natalie and Mary.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  80.0 KB
    Last edited by marv2; 01-02-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Natalie with her then-husband Marvin Yancy and the OTHER Marvin [[ ) and Janis at Natalie/Marvin Yancy's wedding ceremony, Carole Cole to Janis' right:

Name:  tumblr_o0c8u3jxgR1un9yr8o1_500.jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  59.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm guessing this was one of the last public pictures of her before she died [[click on the arrow, it's the second picture after the first)

http://photos.dailynews.com/2016/01/...-dies-at-65/#2

Still beautiful until the end.

Excellent pictures Midnightman. Thank you!

No prob, marv.

Miss Natalie Cole is my favorite female singer,hearing about her passing,is very sad for me,she can R.I.P now,but she'll always be Unforgettable,Natalie Cole was The Best.

I saw her final concert performance in Manila. She sounded good but you can tell she was struggling as well. I won't post it so I won't destroy people's memories of hearing a more vibrant Natalie slaying those songs.

Thanks Midnightman,for not postin' it.

^ Yeah it was sad to watch it. She was performing with David Foster, I believe.

In his column, Roger Friedman was alarmed by Natalie Cole's health issues when she returned from Asia. According to him, she was onstage but could barely sing above a whisper and she was rail thin and he wanted her to receive help. He alarmed David Foster about it and he [[David) said something to the effect of "she's okay, she just had a long tour". *rolling eyes at David*

Her final performance was held in August and shortly after returning to the states, she was sent to Cedars Sinai Medical Center, where she eventually died on New Years' Eve.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/01/01...back-in-august

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-billbaord-200

Her 10 biggest hits from Billboard.

From Gladys Knight's instagram:

5d
    msgladysknight.

It's kinda surreal that on New Years Eve, I did the last two shows for Natalie because she could not perform. It seems to me like she helped me through those two shows before saying goodbye. She was my little sister and truly, truly a talent that will never be duplicated. I will miss her. No other New Years Eve performance will mean so much. Please RIP.

https://www.instagram.com/msgladysknight/

I can remember I was on Christmas break in 6th grade and spent a few days at my oldest sisters house. She had a major music collection with albums by everyone from The Temptations, Aretha, Fleetwood Mac to Moms Mabley. I was born with a pencil and paint brush in my hand so I was looking for something to draw. I came across the "Thankful" album and saw the beautiful painting of her so I figured I would draw that album. If that wasn't enough I decided to play the album and I was hooked. Songs like "Thankful", "Annie Mae", "Just Can't Stay Away", "Keeping A Light" and"LaCosta" made me fall in love. I saw another album at my sister's by the singer and it was "Unpredictable". As I placed the needle on the record I discovered that she had another masterpiece. Songs like "Party Lights", "This Heart", Peaceful Living" and "I've Got Love On My Mind". Natalie Cole was definitely a huge part of my introduction to great music. As a child she was my favorite singer, later replaced by Chaka Khan. I've also had the pleasure of seeing her live during her r&b days and her "unforgettable" tour and she was flawless in both capacities. May she rest in peace as her music continues to live on.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I can remember I was on Christmas break in 6th grade and spent a few days at my oldest sisters house. She had a major music collection with albums by everyone from The Temptations, Aretha, Fleetwood Mac to Moms Mabley. I was born with a pencil and paint brush in my hand so I was looking for something to draw. I came across the "Thankful" album and saw the beautiful painting of her so I figured I would draw that album. If that wasn't enough I decided to play the album and I was hooked. Songs like "Thankful", "Annie Mae", "Just Can't Stay Away", "Keeping A Light" and"LaCosta" made me fall in love. I saw another album at my sister's by the singer and it was "Unpredictable". As I placed the needle on the record I discovered that she had another masterpiece. Songs like "Party Lights", "This Heart", Peaceful Living" and "I've Got Love On My Mind". Natalie Cole was definitely a huge part of my introduction to great music. As a child she was my favorite singer, later replaced by Chaka Khan. I've also had the pleasure of seeing her live during her r&b days and her "unforgettable" tour and she was flawless in both capacities. May she rest in peace as her music continues to live on.

Great story Glen. It seems that's how we always find treasure........by accident!

Most people here mention her older records, but I especially liked Leavin [[2006) & Ask A Woman Who Knows plus the Live DVD with guest Diana Krall [[2002/2003)
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Most people here mention her older records, but I especially liked Leavin [[2006) & Ask A Woman Who Knows plus the Live DVD with guest Diana Krall [[2002/2003)
    RIP.
    Agreed. Those are two of Natalie's best latter day recordings. Her rendition of the Isley Bros "Dont Say Goodnight" is gorgeous as are "Calling You" and "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do." She was a fantastic singer and performer. Elegant and soulful at every stage of her career. One of a kind. She will be greatly missed.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Damn! That's the first song I thought if, too, even though it's not my favorite song by her.
    Turns out this is the song selected for the recessional at Natalie's funeral Monday.

Natalie & Whitney

Lovely pic of Mary Wilson attending Natalies funeral on jackee Harry's Facebook page and posted onto Mary's Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Lovely pic of Mary Wilson attending Natalies funeral on jackee Harry's Facebook page and posted onto Mary's Facebook page.
    Luke thanks.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...nuary-10-in-la