[REMOVE ADS]

Rosalie Trombley

I'm researching a blog posting on CKLW's legendary Music Director Rosalie Trombley. Specifically I would like to know what artists, soul or otherwise, she helped by giving airplay to their unknown songs. I would like some Can-Com artists, but I'll take anything I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    I'm researching a blog posting on CKLW's legendary Music Director Rosalie Trombley. Specifically I would like to know what artists, soul or otherwise, she helped by giving airplay to their unknown songs. I would like some Can-Com artists, but I'll take anything I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
    First of all , thank God I did not open this thread to learn that Rosalie had passed! I grew up during the Big 8 Era and Rosalie meant everything to what we were hearing coming out of Canada and CKLW! There is a great documentary out detailing her and the CKLW staff called "Radio Revolution: The Rise and Fall of the Big 8". She/We made "Bennie & the Jets" a hit for Elton John which he , himself acknowledges. I can give you a partial list of the artists like the Guess Who, Marvin Gaye, The Monkees, Bob Seger.....just everyone that this woman helped to propelled into stardom. give a few and I will start putting up the names of artists including the Can - Com artists that mostly those in CKLW's listening area would have heard throughout the 70s.
    Last edited by marv2; 12-30-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Doug, I bought this DVD back in 2005 but here, check this out:

Here is a very "Can - Con " song Toulouse out of Quebec and " It Always Happens This Way ". Very popular in the late 70s but was probably not heard anywhere else in the U.S. except in the CKLW region.

Can-Con: Tom Middleton - It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference

Can- Con: Brian & Brenda Russell - That's all right too [[Yes, that Brenda Russell)

Can- Con: The Stampeders - Sweet City Woman

Can-Con - Out of London, Ontario........ Copperpenny - [[Sitting on a) Poor Man's Throne

Can - Con One of my favorites.....Snow - Informer

She helped The Guess Who, breaking "These Eyes"

Which is one of the greatest songs of the Rock Era!!!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  21.1 KB
    That CKLW film was great. We used to pick it up in Chicago, especially at night. It's nice to learn the story behind the station. I preferred WVON, but id listen to CKLW once in a great while from 1963-1972.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  21.1 KB
    That CKLW film was great. We used to pick it up in Chicago, especially at night. It's nice to learn the story behind the station. I preferred WVON, but id listen to CKLW once in a great while from 1963-1972.
    Robb, I am telling you. We slept with and woke up with CKLW on in the years roughly 1966-78. It was the source for new music from both sides of the border and they had the most unique news casts on Earth! LOL! They never pulled any punches even when reporting on gruesome murder stories. I've heard of WVON, but we could not get that station over in Detroit-Toledo. The CKLW film was made by some really great guys out of Toronto. Oddly, CHUM was the popular local radio station over there during the Big 8 era.

Can- Con: Tom Northcott - Suzanne

Can- Con: Lighthouse - One Fine Morning-Lighthouse

Can-Con: Joni Mitchell - Help Me [[1974)

Hey Marv;
    Don't forget the Lighthouse "Pretty Lady"; the songs from the Poppy Family; and Bill Amesbury with "Virginia; talk to me like you do". I believe the Can-Con rule was part of the demise of CKLW; I think the rule was you had to play 3 songs from Canadian artists every hour. Some of the Can-Con songs never made it on the US national charts. I recall on the back Ronnie Dyson's first album, he thanks CKLW for breaking him out nationally. Because Motown was housed here, radio stations across the nation looked to the Detroit stations - CKLW, WKNR, WJLB and WCHB for breakout hits. Rosalie Trombley was known as a person who could break you nationally, like Parliament-Funkadelics [[I Bet You was number 1 on their charts in 1969).

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Hey Marv;
    Don't forget the Lighthouse "Pretty Lady"; the songs from the Poppy Family; and Bill Amesbury with "Virginia; talk to me like you do". I believe the Can-Con rule was part of the demise of CKLW; I think the rule was you had to play 3 songs from Canadian artists every hour. Some of the Can-Con songs never made it on the US national charts. I recall on the back Ronnie Dyson's first album, he thanks CKLW for breaking him out nationally. Because Motown was housed here, radio stations across the nation looked to the Detroit stations - CKLW, WKNR, WJLB and WCHB for breakout hits. Rosalie Trombley was known as a person who could break you nationally, like Parliament-Funkadelics [[I Bet You was number 1 on their charts in 1969).
    Stingbeelee, yes I remember that song by Lighthouse as well as, "Sunny Days". Can-Con was a part of the demise of CKLW one thing that happened that gets overlooked when discussing this subject is the fact that beginning in early 1977 after 7 pm at night, the stations transmitters were force to turn, to rotate back towards Canada so that even we in Detroit and Toledo could not get clear signals. That was tragic. We had supported them and they were OUR local station. I remember as a kid visiting relatives in different parts of the country and they would be way behind in terms of what the new music was. We had it very good with CKLW. I can remember calling into that station as a kid with my requests and my father would "give me a good talking to" because the charges were considered long distance LOL!

Here is another very popular CAN-CON I almost forgot by Shawne Jackson out of Toronto: