[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Can't wait to see the new line up. Both Bruce and Joe have expressed their confidence in Otis & the group going forward. Bruce has openly discussed his weight issues and his true calling to the gospel field. Joe has been dealing with health issues and deaths in his family. Both of them have acted as consummate professionals so I guess we'll have to wait and see how they perform on stage and if and when they will attempt to release another record. On a side note if Willie Ford's Dramatics can release a new track [[Victoria) I'm sure that The Temptations can too.....another reinvention yes......hopefully they'll be successful. Happy New Year everyone.

Happy New Year Paladin!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    So I take it that Bruce was the youngest Temptations member ever then...
    Yes he was. To put in a context, he was born when the Temptations had "Ball of Confusion" on the charts.

same to you Marv, here's something you may not have seen.....Name:  10625073_10205575851817013_6697872387578051680_n.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  71.7 KB

Here is Bruce's take in his own words :
    Bruce Williamson :

Truthfully speaking.... I have gained to much weight to continue to be apart of the the line up. Although my weight gain never stop me from doing my job...... Real talk....
    My season has been up for over two years now, I stayed because of my loyalty to Otis and the group. Otis did something that I would have never have the courage to do myself, my single and live album would have been selling millions of copies, and I still would have been trying to Adjust GOD'S agenda for my life around the Temptations schedule. My heart is in worship ministry!!!! Now I have the liberty through faith to pursue my purpose in Christ with reckless abandon. I called Otis Christmas Eve, and thanked him for his decision. 9 1/2 years God saw fit for me to serve as the lead singer of the greatest group of all time!!!

P.S. Larry Briggs is a VOCAL BEAST!!!! Temptation Land... You are in good hands!!!!!

Bruce appears to be a class at all the way, and Joe too...As I mentioned and Bruce alluded to...Bruces weight and stature gave the group a much different look on stage that was optically different than the classic Temptations which in some cases diminished fans expectations. That said...Bruce is a talented singer, however, I believe that going out as yet another Temptations incarnation is a mistake. He should pursue the type of music that suits his particular skill set...be it Gospel or his own brand of contemporary music. I don't think the new Temptations lineup with Larry Braggs will be doing much Tower of Power material...

Glad to see there was not much drama with this latest split. Bruce and Joe are definitely class acts.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember how sad it was watching Marvin Junior of the Dells having to sit down off and on through the Dells latter shows. Johnny looked very winded too. Sad.
    Hey Marv, how ya been!

In the case of Marvin Junior, we have to give him a pass on the sitting, as that was in part due to some of the damage done by that auto accident that nearly killed The Dells back in 1958.

So I will take that to mean the split was not amicable.
    I saw a video the other day that Bruce had made with his arm draped around Otis. He was saying that there was no animosity, that Otis was like a father to him & had taught him a lot.

It was on Facebook & in the comments, someone was asking about Joe & saying that they were worried about him & I was wondering what the video & comment was all about.

Then I saw Joe posted a graphic thanking the fans & saying that he was leaving the group & then a day or so later, I saw that both were no longer in the group. I haven't heard anything other than what they both have said & didn't call anyone to find out more because I'm sure that they're getting plenty of messages as is.

Either way, I wish them, Otis & The Temps, Bruce, all the best, especially Joe, who is a hell of a nice guy, with one hell of a bass voice!

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Hey Marv, how ya been!

In the case of Marvin Junior, we have to give him a pass on the sitting, as that was in part due to some of the damage done by that auto accident that nearly killed The Dells back in 1958.
    Juice! How are ya?! I'm fine , fighting the fight!!! You need to come around here more often [[hint!)
    I had not known Marvin Junior was still suffering from that terrible accident God Bless his soul.

Hey Marv, how ya been!

Aww... I remember how the group nearly died from this incident. I hope Unsung does them soon before all the members die!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Aww... I remember how the group nearly died from this incident. I hope Unsung does them soon before all the members die!
    Considering that the movie "The Five Heartbeats" is loosely based on their story, as well as the fact that the movie remains very popular with young people, one would think that "Unsung" would've done an episode on them years ago.

Instead we get Kid 'N Play or X-scape.

Who's next, Milli Vanilli?

Considering that the movie "The Five Heartbeats" is loosely based on their story, as well as the fact that the movie remains very popular with young people, one would think that "Unsung" would've done an episode on them years ago.

I know. And KNP's Unsung was one of their worst episodes. I didn't even bother watching Xscape... the Dells have the real "Unsung" story!

Juice! How are ya?! I'm fine , fighting the fight!!! You need to come around here more often [[hint!)
    I had not known Marvin Junior was still suffering from that terrible accident God Bless his soul.
    All is cool Marv & though I don't lurk, I plan on stopping through more often.

The thing is that injuries such the ones that he sustained tend to leave one more susceptible to aches & pains, arthritis & seem to show up as we get older. In the case of The Dells, they weren't steppers 9n the mold of The Temptations or The Whispers, so it wasn't paramount for Marvin to have to be out in front all of the time.

We were just glad to see him & to hear him sing. The Dells could've stood there reciting their ABC's & I'd have been glad to see them. I respect them that much.

All is cool Marv & though I don't lurk, I plan on stopping through more often.

The thing is that injuries such the ones that he sustained tend to leave one more susceptible to aches & pains, arthritis & seem to show up as we get older. In the case of The Dells, they weren't steppers 9n the mold of The Temptations or The Whispers, so it wasn't paramount for Marvin to have to be out in front all of the time.

We were just glad to see him & to hear him sing. The Dells could've stood there reciting their ABC's & I'd have been glad to see them. I respect them that much.
    You are right about the Dells. It's strange, I've never known a time without the Dells.

Marvin's knee's were in terrible shape, he was in constant pain and wore leg braces to get through performances. They solved this aesthetic problem by having Chuck, Michael & Verne step to their right while Johnny and Marvin stayed on the opposite side. They were all troopers and if you didn't know you wouldn't.

I wonder how Marvin was onstage before that accident... I imagine the accident played a part in Johnny Funches eventually quitting the Dells amicably as well [[besides having a family by that point).

Hi Midnightman!

The Dells auditioned for Dinah Washington in 1961.
    Michael McGill: "We passed the audition. When it was time for us to leave [[on tour), Johnny Funches said that he didn't want to leave his job and he couldn't go back on the road and get back into show business."
    [[Soul Express: The Dells story, part 2)

Best regards
    Heikki

You are so right about Unsung. According to Marvin Junior and Mickey McGill, the movie was really about them. Marvin relayed the story of the guy being held out the window by his ankles really happened, except in real life the guy was Jackie Wilson. Marvin said that they gave Robert Townsend most of their story to be used in the film. Mickey got emotional about it saying that he might now want to see the film because it was true, maybe a bit too true to relive.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Midnightman!

Michael McGill: "We passed the audition. When it was time for us to leave [[on tour), Johnny Funches said that he didn't want to leave his job and he couldn't go back on the road and get back into show business."

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thank you Heikki. I remember hearing that also.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    I don't think you can compare the Temptations personnel changes to the Four Top's changes. Changes were forced upon the Four Tops; Otis, for reasons only known to him, brought people in and out of the Tempts. I firmly believe that if all Four Tops were alive today, all four of them would be together today.
    I'm not as firm in my belief they would still be together as you are but I'd definitely like to think they would be.

The death of Lawrence, Obie and Levi's illness and ultimate death forced changes but after that....think Theo!

I like Joe Herndon, he's really good peeps and I was sorry to find out he was no longer with the group. Bruce was a big boy but he was light on his feet and a really good singer. I enjoyed his performances. To be honest, I'm actually surprised Terry Weeks is still around but hey...a job is a job so I can dig it.

I miss Melvin the most and although not an original I miss Ali. I respect Otis but Tyson is the only reason for me to continue to follow the Tempts. Haven't been to a show in awhile but looks like it's time for me to hit the road again.

I'm not a tyson fan,although i liked him in the ethics,i wish that glenn had kept his stuff together and stayed in the temps...but then i wish i was still twenty one,hehehehehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm not a tyson fan,although i liked him in the ethics,i wish that glenn had kept his stuff together and stayed in the temps...but then i wish i was still twenty one,hehehehehehehe!!!
    I heard that ...about still being 21. I too remember that I was not that excited when they replaced Glen Leonard with Ron Tyson. He's now been with the Tempts for over 30 years. Who would have known.

Here is the thing about the Tempts for me. After awhile all the personnel changes started to wear on me so I kinda walked away from them. When I met Tyson and Ali - the guys were working on the Truly For You CD and when it finally came out, it blew me away. From the first time I heard it until now, there is not a bad song in the mix. [[ imo) So I would have to say, those guys made the Tempts fun for me again. So yeah, I feel a certain loyalty to Tyson. shrugs

You sure that wasn't Victrola?

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Can't wait to see the new line up. Both Bruce and Joe have expressed their confidence in Otis & the group going forward. Bruce has openly discussed his weight issues and his true calling to the gospel field. Joe has been dealing with health issues and deaths in his family. Both of them have acted as consummate professionals so I guess we'll have to wait and see how they perform on stage and if and when they will attempt to release another record. On a side note if Willie Ford's Dramatics can release a new track [[Victoria) I'm sure that The Temptations can too.....another reinvention yes......hopefully they'll be successful. Happy New Year everyone.

My blood is the color of the Temptations Live album.

When the girls[[now 17 and 18) and I saw them about 7 years ago they loved Bruce and Joe. My 17 year old used to fancy herself a bass singer at age 4 [[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_jf18tiPY).

My oldest also fell in love with Theo's voice at the same concert. She likes people who, as she puts it, "Stand and Deliver."

A month ago, on the way to the mall with my youngest and 3 of her friends, I played the a capella version of Ball of Confusion. It was funny listening to girls giggle every time Melvin and Qwan sang, "and the band played on". And they marveled how we came in on time with the vocals......without music. She told them, "I've been listening to this song forever".

And....I remember finally getting a chance to chat with Ron Tyson a few years ago and discussing how it took me 25 years to get over the fact that he was a "new" member.

.....and Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Midnightman!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Just now seeing this. Thanks!