[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tempts 2016: Bruce Williamson and Joe Herndon are out

Just was on Facebook and someone posted on one of the Temptations' fan pages there this picture of the new Tempts lineup:

Name:  10398722_10206942735200970_2370699756184845212_n.jpg
Views: 7906
Size:  43.0 KB

The new Tempts are Larry Braggs and Willie Greene.

Heard they sound real good though.

I joked, "how many lineups is that now? 100?" Lol

It is funny that people complain that the Supremes line up change when the temptation had enough members to start their own basketball league lol.

I saw this on a Billy Bannister post on Facebook. I happened to attend an Otis Temptations performance this past year here in L.A. It's still hard for me to see any of the current Temptation incarnations since I was witness to the real original Tempts back in the day and they could never be duplicated. Also, in addition to Otis putting on a few pounds, Bruce took up a WHOLE lot of space on stage and almost looked like a pulling offensive guard on their routines next to the other guys...nothing like the full on consistant precision of the Classics. That said...Larry Braggs is a very versatile singer who spent many years as the front man for Tower of Power, replaced by Ray Greene who is another talented on stage artist.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Just was on Facebook and someone posted on one of the Temptations' fan pages there this picture of the new Tempts lineup:

Name:  10398722_10206942735200970_2370699756184845212_n.jpg
Views: 7906
Size:  43.0 KB

The new Tempts are Larry Braggs and Willie Greene.

Heard they sound real good though.

I joked, "how many lineups is that now? 100?" Lol
    We'll have to add this lineup to my thread "Why So Many Temptations?" LOL! I knew things had been pretty quiet and stable in Temptations Land recently. Oh well.....welcome Larry and Willie! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It is funny that people complain that the Supremes line up change when the temptation had enough members to start their own basketball league lol.

You got that right! The Supremes were "a revolving door". The Temptations? Just business as usual..............

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    We'll have to add this lineup to my thread "Why So Many Temptations?" LOL! I knew things had been pretty quiet and stable in Temptations Land recently. Oh well.....welcome Larry and Willie! LOL!
    I tried to find the thread but I felt it was flooded with so many articles LOL

You got that right! The Supremes were "a revolving door". The Temptations? Just business as usual..............
    What's Larry going to do with all his solo dates? http://www.larrybraggsmusic.com/
    From what I've heard he's more 'tenor' than David or Dennis, and indeed Bruce, nowhere near as rough-sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    LEAGUE, LOL.

I wonder, do the new member have to squeeze into the costumes like the back-in-the-day Supremes?

There was a Willie Green with Nate Evans Tribute to the Temptations outfit. I wonder if it is the same guy?

Oh well,i guess all we can say is that the temps are still here with one original still doin it.....temptations forever!!

I think the fact that there were 5 Temps as opposed to 3 Supremes meant that a departure was not so easily noticed by the general public. Also the Temps bless them were not so much in the public eye as the Supremes were. You have to hand it to them. The Temps have showcased a considerable number of superb vocalists over the years and continue to do so. They have survived personnel changes far better than their old rivals The Four Tops.

Maybe someone should call the book of records folks cause otis has got to have the record for total group members,and wouldn't it be just temptin if he got one more million seller,go for it otis.

according to my records: there have been 24 Temptations.
    It is 23 plus Otis.

A Temptation is defined as singing with Otis Williams 1960 on

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think the fact that there were 5 Temps as opposed to 3 Supremes meant that a departure was not so easily noticed by the general public. Also the Temps bless them were not so much in the public eye as the Supremes were. You have to hand it to them. The Temps have showcased a considerable number of superb vocalists over the years and continue to do so. They have survived personnel changes far better than their old rivals The Four Tops.
    That is true lol

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    There was a Willie Green with Nate Evans Tribute to the Temptations outfit. I wonder if it is the same guy?
    They could be using Nate Evans group as a Farm Team. LOL

The Temptations have been remarkable for their ability to morph and continue.

It limits the number of knock off imitation tributes that surface.

Otis might not be the best liked guy but he ran the business pretty efficiently.

Nice picture from Facebook yesterday.

Id think it increases the formerly of the temptations groups.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    What's Larry going to do with all his solo dates? http://www.larrybraggsmusic.com/
    From what I've heard he's more 'tenor' than David or Dennis, and indeed Bruce, nowhere near as rough-sounding.

I think he'll have little problem getting out of most of those gigs.

I don't think you can compare the Temptations personnel changes to the Four Top's changes. Changes were forced upon the Four Tops; Otis, for reasons only known to him, brought people in and out of the Tempts. I firmly believe that if all Four Tops were alive today, all four of them would be together today.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    I don't think you can compare the Temptations personnel changes to the Four Top's changes. Changes were forced upon the Four Tops; Otis, for reasons only known to him, brought people in and out of the Tempts. I firmly believe that if all Four Tops were alive today, all four of them would be together today.
    Stingbeelee, I am 100% certain they'd still be together and thank you for making that point.

I can image guys coming into the group wondering how long they will last.

What I would like to know is who is an official "Temptation". Is Ron Tyson, who has been in the Temptations for 32 years a "Temptation" or just a hired hand? Are there only two official "Temptations" - Otis Williams and the Melvin Franklin estate? I ask this because I can recall reading an article, years ago, about the Rolling Stones making someone an official "Rolling Stone" [[I think it was Ron Wood) and not just someone hired to play with them.

This Larry bowing out from Tower of Power in 2013

Definitely. Death forced the Four Tops to change lineups. I imagine if something happened to Duke, the Four Tops would cease to exist since I imagine the original Tops owned the name.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    This Larry bowing out from Tower of Power in 2013
    Also joining Larry on YSAYM was the original singer on that track [[before Lenny WIlliams) Rick Stevens. Rick left TOP and was involved in a triple homicide on a drug deal gone bad. He was sentenced to death in California. When the death penalty was briefly overturned in California, Ricks sentence was commuted to life in prison. He did get out fairly recently after serving several decades. Rick was apparently NOT asked to join the Tempts...

I was never trying to imply otherwise, and if that is the way it came over then i sincerely apologise. I fully agree that the Tops would still be together in their original form if fate had not dictated otherwise. The point i attempted to make was that despite so many personnel changes the Temptations always seem to survive them very well indeed. You have to give great credit to Otis for this whatever you may think of him as a person and i am not about to go into that here.

Definitely. Death forced the Four Tops to change lineups. I imagine if something happened to Duke, the Four Tops would cease to exist since I imagine the original Tops owned the name.
    I doubt if Duke would seek to exist that the Tops would stop. Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes still perform as Harold Melvin's Bluenotes. So I would imagine that the estate would get paid.

^ Not saying it's impossible but I felt a group continuing with an original member stands out than a group who carries on with the estate's blessing...

^ Not saying it's impossible but I felt a group continuing with an original member stands out than a group who carries on with the estate's blessing...
    Obviously, the most authentic replacement groups are the ones where the original lead singer remains and fills in the holes of departed members...Like Russell Thompkins and his group, or even The WHO replacing the departed John Entwistle and Keith Moon but maintained the familiar voices...Since most groups break up when the lead singer embarks on a solo career, groups who are able to maintain two or three originals, even as backups, do retain a level of credibility. Groups or bands operating with little trace of the originals other than obtaining the blessings of the families of former original members are really nothing more to me than any other "nostalgia" tribute group or band...some better than others...Speaking of Tower of Power, while they did change lead singers after Lenny Williams left as the most recognizable voice...their replacements have generally maintained a very reasonable facsimile of the original sound...of course the primary musicians remaining, especially Emilio, Doc, Rocco, and Garibaldi maintained the core sound of the band true to it's roots...

Hi Bluebrock;
    Please, no apologizes needed! Yes, the Tempts do survive and probably get more gigs than they can handle. Both Otis and Duke are getting up in age; Duke is 80, how much longer can he go on? I know that Tony Bennett is 89, but he does not do choreography like Duke does. I hope that Duke goes on for years, but one has to wonder about the toll on his body. I hope that my reaction to your post was not over the top. Happy New Year to you!

I have no doubt that had they survived, The Four Tops would have remained together as a unit. It really came down to Levi who felt much more comfortable performing with his mates than embarking on a solo career...and according to those I've spoken with who had the opportunity to work with the Tops at various points in their career...they were without a doubt the most professional, reliable, and stable of any ensembles out there...

I think that as long as otis is physically able and has four others on that stage,that there will be-the temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I think that as long as otis is physically able and has four others on that stage,that there will be-the temptations.
    I agree, and can hardly blame him so long as venues are willing to pay him...One thing I remember from their show this past year I attended was that just before the show, a couple of guys wheeled out a big table right onto the stage in front of the band with about two dozen small arrowhead plastic water bottles and it remained there throughout the show with the guys going for the water from time to time. I suppose when they start leaving bottles of Geritol on that table, it might be time to give it up...lol

Haaaaaa,yeah i think that would be a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post

Oh I definitely agree with that. Otis is another one that never seems to age.

I remember how sad it was watching Marvin Junior of the Dells having to sit down off and on through the Dells latter shows. Johnny looked very winded too. Sad.

Along with Otis I would just like to sat thanks to Ron Tyson for remaining with the group so long.

And now I just learned that Bruce and Joe are starting their OWN Temptations Review...Unbelievable...Paul, David, Eddie, and Melvin must be rolling over in their graves...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    And now I just learned that Bruce and Joe are starting their OWN Temptations Review...Unbelievable...Paul, David, Eddie, and Melvin must be rolling over in their graves...RIP
    So I will take that to mean the split was not amicable.

Hi Bluebrock;
    Please, no apologizes needed! Yes, the Tempts do survive and probably get more gigs than they can handle. Both Otis and Duke are getting up in age; Duke is 80, how much longer can he go on? I know that Tony Bennett is 89, but he does not do choreography like Duke does. I hope that Duke goes on for years, but one has to wonder about the toll on his body. I hope that my reaction to your post was not over the top. Happy New Year to you!
    Thank you for that stingbeelee and a Happy New Year to you too!
    Duke is a legend and a lovely guy but i agree it would be nigh impossible for him to carry on much longer. When he does eventually retire i hope the group retires as well, though i suspect that may not be the case

So I will take that to mean the split was not amicable.
    I get the impression that as usual, money was involved...I also assume that if any more of these groups start to proliferate, The newbies way down the food chain will be happy that they just passed a new minimum wage...

I get the impression that as usual, money was involved...I also assume that if any more of these groups start to proliferate, The newbies way down the food chain will be happy that they just passed a new minimum wage...
    Being born in 1970, I did not understand how Bruce was suppose to uphold the Temptations tradition when he is not even in the range........

Being born in 1970, I did not understand how Bruce was suppose to uphold the Temptations tradition when he is not even in the range........
    I guess he's banking on the fact that he knows the tunes...

Sometimes imitation is not flattery.

Not only rolling but steaming mad... I reckon anyway. Ugh.

So I take it that Bruce was the youngest Temptations member ever then...

Bruce Williamson gave a response to his leaving the Temptations on his Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/ImBigBruce

Willie Greene did a whole lot of bass vocals for artists such as Ry Cooder. Here he is on backing vocals providing bass throughout a live concert.....along with Bobby King and Terry Evans. Fast forward to 37.10 if you want to see the three singers perform together....

Can't wait to see the new line up. Both Bruce and Joe have expressed their confidence in Otis & the group going forward. Bruce has openly discussed his weight issues and his true calling to the gospel field. Joe has been dealing with health issues and deaths in his family. Both of them have acted as consummate professionals so I guess we'll have to wait and see how they perform on stage and if and when they will attempt to release another record. On a side note if Willie Ford's Dramatics can release a new track [[Victoria) I'm sure that The Temptations can too.....another reinvention yes......hopefully they'll be successful. Happy New Year everyone.

I guess he's banking on the fact that he knows the tunes...

That has to be it. However, he is young enough to create something new [[well age is really not an issue) he could develop a whole new, separate act that doesn't piggy back off of his Temptation experience.