[REMOVE ADS]

Rufus featuring chaka khan album

Here is my article spotlighting the Rufus featuring Chaka Khan LP from 1975:

http://soultrain.com/2015/11/02/clas...ng-chaka-khan/

Alright! This album remains my favorite by this band.

I first got the 45 "Sweet Thing" in March of 1976 when it was still on top of the charts. To me, it was kind of an unusual single for the band, even after "Please Pardon Me [[You Remind Me Of A Friend Of Mine)" [[another favorite of mine). I didn't pay that much attention to the lyrics, as I was 13 years old, and got off on the sheer groove of it.

A month later, I finally bought the album. With that, and the Ohio Players' "Honey", they were the only two albums I played for months, having finally tired of EWF's "Gratitude".

My favorite cuts off the album are "Fool's Paradise", "Sweet Thing", and "Little Boy Blue". I never cared much for "Dance Wit Me", or their cover of "Jive Talkin'" both huge soul hits in 1976.

The next album "Ask Rufus" still sounded like a cohesive band, but that was the one that clearly started to show the cracks. By the "Street Player" album, the hostility in the band got so bad that Chaka and the band would not even record in the same room with each other. She had to overdub her vocals after the band laid down their tracks. Also, she had already sighed a contract with Warner Brothers and was about to release "Chaka" with her powerful single "I'm Every Woman", while the band did albums without her. Seems the problems stemmed from the record label pushing her exposure, and her issues with the drummer.

But, anyway, The CD and vinyl sound good, but i'd like to see a total hi-rez remastering of the catalog. It needs it.

Thanks for the review.
    It made me get out the album; and play it
    Still a good go

edafan

Nice review. Liked that album too. Loved the Street Player album and don't care of they were
    not getting along when it was put together. Chaka's work on it was stellar. I still listen to Turn,
    Stay , Best Of Your Heart, Stranger To Love, Blue Love and Destiny quite often. Thinking about
    the thread about cover songs which I mentioned that I do enjoy, I have to say this: I didn't
    like the Rufus cover of Jive Talkin much either, soulster. Second, Mary J Blige 's cover of
    Sweet Thing does absolutely nothing for me. Strike that! It PAINS me...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Nice review. Liked that album too. Loved the Street Player album and don't care of they were
    not getting along when it was put together. Chaka's work on it was stellar. I still listen to Turn,
    Stay , Best Of Your Heart, Stranger To Love, Blue Love and Destiny quite often. Thinking about
    the thread about cover songs which I mentioned that I do enjoy, I have to say this: I didn't
    like the Rufus cover of Jive Talkin much either, soulster. Second, Mary J Blige 's cover of
    Sweet Thing does absolutely nothing for me. Strike that! It PAINS me...
    I heard that!

My other two favorite Rufus albums are "Masterjam" and "Rufusized".

What i'll never understand is how "Once You Get Started" was a top 10 pop hit, but pretty much forgotten today, along with "At Midnight [[My Love Will Lift You Up)", and "Hollywood". All anyone ever talks about is "Ain't Nobody" and "Tell Me Something Good". Now, I love the latter, but I really can do without "Ain't Nobody".

Nothing surpasses "Ask Rufus" for my ears. .....though "Destiny" is one of my all time favorite songs.
    In fairness, all but the debut album, are personal favorites and then all Chaka solo albums through "Whatcha Gonna Do For Me"......then skip to "Classikhan" and "Funk This".

I love the sound of "Little Boy Blue" but I can't make out the words or the theme. I know she says something about "this fog will surely roll away." However, I don't know if the song is about love, depression, trauma or addiction. Can someone tell me what the song is about and let me in on what she's singing?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I love the sound of "Little Boy Blue" but I can't make out the words or the theme. I know she says something about "this fog will surely roll away." However, I don't know if the song is about love, depression, trauma or addiction. Can someone tell me what the song is about and let me in on what she's singing?
    I paid more attention to the music and the great arrangement. Lyrics? Pth! Who cares! You'll have to look up the lyrics on the web, but it is also a huge favorite of mine. Good taste!

Wow Soulster! Thank for sharing this history! I was only 4 when "Rufus featuring Chaka Khan" was released. I remember my teenage uncle playing it in his bedroom and I later told my parents I wanted it and my Dad got it for me. I still have the actual record he bought me but being 4 years old I didn't take care of the jacket. My older brother and little cousin accidentally tore the poster that came on the inside [[boo-hoo). But 40 years later I have about 11 copies of the original album, with about 5 copies containing the original poster!!!

Thanks a lot edafan!

Thanks Splanky!

Quote Originally Posted by funkyone71 View Post
    But 40 years later I have about 11 copies of the original album, with about 5 copies containing the original poster!!!
    Why so many copies? I just have two: the original ABC record I bought in 1976, and the original MCA CD.

I had that poster on my bedroom door for months. Who knows where it is today. I'd like to at least find it online.

This is a most memorable album. I can remember 40 years ago this month hearing "Sweet Thang" all the time it seems. It was very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is a most memorable album. I can remember 40 years ago this month hearing "Sweet Thang" all the time it seems. It was very popular.
    Yeah it was! It was cool when it first came out, but, as typical, top 40 radio wore it out.

"Ask Rufus", "Rufusized" & this are my favorite LPs from the group. And what always tripped me out is how Rufus totally changed their style from their 1st LP & for awhile, became a Funk monolith & Chaka one of the baddest gals in the land.

It seems to me that "Ask Rufus" doesn't get the acclaim that it should & is my favorite LP by Chaka & the boys. "At Midnight" was a smoker which seems pretty much forgotten about & my favorite "Everlasting Love" [[which I call "Sweet Thing Pt. 2") deserves more play that it gets. And I do wish that "A Flat Fry" were fully fleshed out & made an entire song. And one of my favorite Rufus ballads is from their first shot across the bow with Rufus, 1973's "Whoever's Thrilling You [[Is Killing Me)".

"Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan" found Chaka & the boys picking up where "Rufusized" left off & maintaining their stride. "Fools Paradise" is a song that I've always felt was a bit underrated & "Dance Wit Me", was just as funky as anything coming out of Ohio, or Augusta, GA, for that matter. This LP is one of my favorites, just a few notches below "Ask Rufus" & a notch below "Rufusized" & the monster "Once You Get Started" & "Stop On By".

And my Lord...THAT POSTER!!!

Enough said!

Nice review funkyone!

That first album was the band just trying to find its sound. Will they be rock? Will they be soul, will they go pop, Will they just go all over the place like the early Pointer sisters and Ohio Players?