[REMOVE ADS]

New List of Top 100 Singles of All Time From Billboard

http://www.billboard.com/charts/grea...ot-100-singles

8 Motown Singles make it, led by Endless Love.

"The Twist" at number 1? C'mon baby.

Not surprisingly not one of them would be in my top 100, Oh Well maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "The Twist" at number 1? C'mon baby.
    I don't know Billboard' criteria for ranking songs, but the Twist's Billboard charting is unique in that it is the only song to chart at number one in two different chart runs. It was number one in 1960 and then the Twist craze surfaced in 1962 [[even Sinatra made a Twist record) it was re-released and became number one again two years later

My favorite record made the top thirty , it should have been number one. But who cares. What's a chart? Just numbers.

You are right Milven - that's what did it. I always thought Let's Twist Again was better. But then again, Endless Love is one of my favorite Ross or Richie songs.

it's based on sales and "Endless Love" was one of Motown's biggest singles ever, stayed at #1 forever..

solo Ross has as many here as The Beatles!!! [[two each?..)

How could Baby Love not be there? It was #1 for four weeks like Upside Down.

I like 90% of all the songs on this chart so I have no problem with it.

Baby love was a huge hit and a definitive Ross Supremes song but it came and went in 14 weeks ; Upside Down was around for half a year. Endless Love was #1 for 8 or 10 weeks and around forever a long time as well.

and Gordy didn't give the RIAA access to sales figures in the"Baby Love" era, thus no official gold certs/records, just the 'Gordy versions'.. and his refusal to participate certainly didn't help him when Grammies were being handed out..

I guess if I were not trapped in a time warp I could appreciate this list more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    it's based on sales and "Endless Love" was one of Motown's biggest singles ever, stayed at #1 forever..
    ;

Not based on sales - e.g. Endless Love far outsold Betty Davis Eyes.

This an explanation of the methodology from Billboard:

These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 [[from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 [[from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries.

One very important factor is the line in Florence's post "due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods". This cut the 90's era songs way back and pushed some 60's songs higher. The BoyzIIMen songs went down.

they are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100, and the Billboard Hot 100 was based on a combination of radio airplay...and SALES...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    they are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100, and the Billboard Hot 100 was based on a combination of radio airplay...and SALES...
    ^ This. Plus, most singles by a lot of famous acts who topped the chart didn't last as long which explains why the list looks the way it does.

Marvin being there with Let's Get It On and I Heard It Through the Grapevine is no surprise. In terms of weeks and sales, it looks like LGIO is MG's most successful Hot 100 single to date [[I think it only topped the Hot 100 for two weeks but it stayed on the charts and sold lots of copies).

Think you are right

Lol Lockhartgary. I can identify!