[REMOVE ADS]

This Is What A Love Of Motown Christmas Music Looks Like

Well, boys and girls, it's Christmastime again... Does anyone actually need more than 40 classic Motown Christmas CDs? Well, yes, I do. It all started long ago and far away with my first Christmas album, the 'Merry Christmas From Motown' LP [[STML11126), which I enjoyed so much that, over the years, I was unable to resist acquiring more Motown Christmas albums, and the collection has since evolved from LPs to CD. During December, I like to play a Christmas CD every day, and as there are only around 117 Motown Christmas songs available, some duplication of tracks is inevitable. However, the variety of the Motown Christmas compilations makes things enjoyable – especially if there is a 'previously unreleased' track in there, like the Temptations' ''Jingle Bells'' or a different version of the Funks' ''Winter Wonderland''! Alas, the only song that doesn't benefit from repetition is the Supremes' ''Children's Christmas Song'', and I'll never know why the they didn't just dub in the Andantes then tell those tuneless kids that they sounded just great! My favorite? It's still 'Merry Christmas From Motown'! To those of you with similar musical obsessions [[Bluebrock, your ''roomful of Christmas CDs'' admission was a give away), don't feel ashamed – you are not alone! Perhaps we could form a support group: ''Hi. My name is TomBairdFan and I am a Motown Christmas compilation addict......'' Part of the pleasure of owning such a CD collection is the enjoyment of actually holding them in your hands, placing the discs in the player, looking at the cases and reading the booklets, listening, then putting the CDs back with the others on the shelf. A pleasure that downloaders cannot enjoy. As the countdown to Christmas begins, I'll be listening to my Motown Christmas CDs, and deciding which ACE CD I should ask Santa to deliver from reissuesdirect via Amazon UK, by way of thanking ACE for being so good at compiling all those Motown classics for us. Something that I can enjoy in the New Year after I've had enough of those ''Ding, Dongs''! Happy Motown Christmas listening!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This rendition of a classic Motown Christmas tune definitely fits your impressive collection!

Quote Originally Posted by tombairdfan View Post
    well, boys and girls, it's christmastime again... Does anyone actually need more than 40 classic motown christmas cds? Well, yes, i do. It all started long ago and far away with my first christmas album, the 'merry christmas from motown' lp [[stml11126), which i enjoyed so much that, over the years, i was unable to resist acquiring more motown christmas albums, and the collection has since evolved from lps to cd. During december, i like to play a christmas cd every day, and as there are only around 117 motown christmas songs available, some duplication of tracks is inevitable. However, the variety of the motown christmas compilations makes things enjoyable – especially if there is a 'previously unreleased' track in there, like the temptations' ''jingle bells'' or a different version of the funks' ''winter wonderland''! Alas, the only song that doesn't benefit from repetition is the supremes' ''children's christmas song'', and i'll never know why the they didn't just dub in the andantes then tell those tuneless kids that they sounded just great! My favorite? It's still 'merry christmas from motown'! To those of you with similar musical obsessions [[bluebrock, your ''roomful of christmas cds'' admission was a give away), don't feel ashamed – you are not alone! Perhaps we could form a support group: ''hi. My name is tombairdfan and i am a motown christmas compilation addict......'' part of the pleasure of owning such a cd collection is the enjoyment of actually holding them in your hands, placing the discs in the player, looking at the cases and reading the booklets, listening, then putting the cds back with the others on the shelf. A pleasure that downloaders cannot enjoy. As the countdown to christmas begins, i'll be listening to my motown christmas cds, and deciding which ace cd i should ask santa to deliver from reissuesdirect via amazon uk, by way of thanking ace for being so good at compiling all those motown classics for us. Something that i can enjoy in the new year after i've had enough of those ''ding, dongs''! Happy motown christmas listening!
    this in my opinion is an excellent posting, a refreshing variation in which nobody attacks or criticizes anyone else. We need more of these type of postings to keep the interest alive. Thank you for putting this picture on the forum. It is priceless.

Mary Wilson and "Wonderful World/Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

Thanks for taking the time to compose such an inspiring article, TomBairdFan. I can identify with every word. In fact, you've put me in the mood to start listening to my own Christmas-CD collection! Back in the day, I bought each individual Motown artist's Christmas album. My favorite Motown various-artists Christmas album was "Merry Christmas From Motown" because it contained one new [[or previously-unreleased) track unique to this compilation -- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "Christmas Lullabye" -- which kind of brought it all home.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-01-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    Well, boys and girls, it's Christmastime again... Does anyone actually need more than 40 classic Motown Christmas CDs? Well, yes, I do. It all started long ago and far away with my first Christmas album, the 'Merry Christmas From Motown' LP [[STML11126), which I enjoyed so much that, over the years, I was unable to resist acquiring more Motown Christmas albums, and the collection has since evolved from LPs to CD. During December, I like to play a Christmas CD every day, and as there are only around 117 Motown Christmas songs available, some duplication of tracks is inevitable. However, the variety of the Motown Christmas compilations makes things enjoyable – especially if there is a 'previously unreleased' track in there, like the Temptations' ''Jingle Bells'' or a different version of the Funks' ''Winter Wonderland''! Alas, the only song that doesn't benefit from repetition is the Supremes' ''Children's Christmas Song'', and I'll never know why the they didn't just dub in the Andantes then tell those tuneless kids that they sounded just great! My favorite? It's still 'Merry Christmas From Motown'! To those of you with similar musical obsessions [[Bluebrock, your ''roomful of Christmas CDs'' admission was a give away), don't feel ashamed – you are not alone! Perhaps we could form a support group: ''Hi. My name is TomBairdFan and I am a Motown Christmas compilation addict......'' Part of the pleasure of owning such a CD collection is the enjoyment of actually holding them in your hands, placing the discs in the player, looking at the cases and reading the booklets, listening, then putting the CDs back with the others on the shelf. A pleasure that downloaders cannot enjoy. As the countdown to Christmas begins, I'll be listening to my Motown Christmas CDs, and deciding which ACE CD I should ask Santa to deliver from reissuesdirect via Amazon UK, by way of thanking ACE for being so good at compiling all those Motown classics for us. Something that I can enjoy in the New Year after I've had enough of those ''Ding, Dongs''! Happy Motown Christmas listening!
    Tombairdfan - What a great post!! As I have already confessed I am a massive fan of Christmas music whether it be Motown, Mor, Pop, Classical - you name it and I probably own it!

Looking at your photo I recognise just over 2/3 of them and I almost certainly own most of the others in other reissues. I bought the J5 Christmas cd a few years back with the bonus tracks which replaced my previous copy and it has morphed into one of my very favourites along with Stevie, Supremes and the various compilations.
    Motown did Christmas so well and I never tire of digging them out on Dec 1st each year.
    Problem is that I own so many that certain ones don't get a spin every year though I do try my best!! Great post.

Wow! I have my fair share of Motown Christmas recordings but I've never even seen some of those releases. I am impressed! Every year I pull out my Motown Christmas compilations and play those instead of the individual albums. I might change that this year and do the individuals. I bet there are many tracks I've forgotten on some of them.

Well I've often wondered what kind of person buys such music. Umm - me apparently.

Hope you'll forgive the interloper - Christmas wouldn't be the same without Phil Spector.

Attachment 10829

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    This rendition of a classic Motown Christmas tune definitely fits your impressive collection!

Written by Bryan Mills and Ron Miller who also gave us Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday together and a very impressive list of songs they each wrote with other partners.

My mother bought the 2 LP Motown Christmas various artists [[the one with the Peter Max cover, which was what? An angel? No one seemed to know) and we played those albums on Christmas Eve and Christmas day while we cleaned up the house for our family. Over the years, it still brings me joy! Phil Spector's Xmas album is the all time great, but this Motown album is right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Well I've often wondered what kind of person buys such music. Umm - me apparently.

Hope you'll forgive the interloper - Christmas wouldn't be the same without Phil Spector.

Attachment 10829
    Phil Spector always gets a spin in my household. It is a classic. On the subject of non Motown there is also Luther, Mariah's ist Christmas album, Nat King Cole, Streisands 2nd Christmas album and erm.. Michael Buble which has turned into a seasonal favourite. Kelly Clarksons and Leona Lewis are two other recent releases that we love in these parts, and let's not forget Mary J Blige. If you add these to other long standing favourites then you get some idea of the competition to get played in my household.
    Another gem is Celine Dion's "these are the special times".

phew! Now I need to go for a sit down and listen to my Motown and non Motown holiday tunes. Merry Christmas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Phil Spector always gets a spin in my household. It is a classic. On the subject of non Motown there is also Luther, Mariah's ist Christmas album, Nat King Cole, Streisands 2nd Christmas album and erm.. Michael Buble which has turned into a seasonal favourite. Kelly Clarksons and Leona Lewis are two other recent releases that we love in these parts, and let's not forget Mary J Blige. If you add these to other long standing favourites then you get some idea of the competition to get played in my household.
    Another gem is Celine Dion's "these are the special times".

phew! Now I need to go for a sit down and listen to my Motown and non Motown holiday tunes. Merry Christmas!!!
    No King of Christmas, Johnny Mathis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    No King of Christmas, Johnny Mathis?
    Oh yes indeed!! Also Be Be and Ce Ce Winans, Alexander O'Neal. 2 x Patti Labelle, Be Be Winans solo effort, Lou Rawls. I could go on and on but I won't.

Yes, love that Nat King Cole Christmas album.

Since this was originally posted a year ago, I thought it would be appropriate to reply to the thread and perhaps enable some new members to see this excellent display of Christmas CDs that a fellow forum member has in their collection. It is impressive no doubt.

It is not Motown but how about Xmas albums by Luther Vandross, Dianne Reeves, Anita Baker, Babyface, Ella Fitzgerald, Manhattan Transfer?

Beautiful post,puts me in a holiday mood.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    It is not Motown but how about Xmas albums by Luther Vandross, Dianne Reeves, Anita Baker, Babyface, Ella Fitzgerald, Manhattan Transfer?
    Yes, totally agree on all those with the exception of Anita Baker. I am a huge fan of this ladies music, but try as i might i find this album to be one big fat Christmas turkey. Every year i drag it out in the vain hope that it will grow on me but sadly it does not. It is a similar story with Ledisi, yet i adore the her other albums. Give me Peggy Lee's xmas album anyday!!

How about Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings? Here are 2 of my favorites ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jvDeHLkgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNGck5z6Os

A NANCY WILSON CHRISTMAS is my current go-to. Sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    A NANCY WILSON CHRISTMAS is my current go-to. Sublime.
    Oh yes!! Harry Connick Jr also delivered a couple of solidaholiday albums, and more recently Leona Lewis released a quite wonderful seasonal offering including perhaps the finest version of ava maria i have ever heard. Simply sublime!

TomBairdFan:
    Where is the Diana Ross Xmas album?Name:  DR.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  15.4 KB
    There are also 2 MoJazz cd's.Name:  MI0001915642.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  index.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  14.8 KB

jack020,

Hi. I didn't have room for all my Motown Christmas CDs in the photo, but I've got the two Mojazz ones. Vol. 1 is good; Vol 2 not so, agreed? Alas, I don't have the Diana Ross one because it's not on Motown. Picky, picky, picky me!

Merry Christmas all!
    Last edited by TomBairdFan; 12-23-2016 at 01:34 PM.

It has not been released on CD ,but it is Motown and it sure looks and sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It has not been released on CD ,but it is Motown and it sure looks and sounds good!

Not a bad effort but there are far better versions out there which are available on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Not a bad effort but there are far better versions out there which are available on cd.
    I agree dear Bluebrock. Mary sounds okay but dukes kinda off key. Now this is my favorite version, the signings beutifull and the kids in the video are so cute and real talented. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbuBubZ1yE

Have a Happy and blessed Christmas my dear friend.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

And here's one more Motown Christmas CD, TomBairdFan -- "Motown Christmas", released in 2014. It's contains mostly recent-day Motown artists, including Toni Braxton & Babyface, but the first track and the last track are represented by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles [[with Kevin Ross) on "It's Christmas Time", and The Temptations [[Silent Night), respectively. Open the link below to check out the complete track list.

https://www.amazon.com/Motown-Christ...2517049&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I agree dear Bluebrock. Mary sounds okay but dukes kinda off key. Now this is my favorite version, the signings beutifull and the kids in the video are so cute and real talented. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbuBubZ1yE

Have a Happy and blessed Christmas my dear friend.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    And the same to you dear Roberta, Speak soon x

Thanks TBF [[and I concur about Vol 2) and Woodward [[for the resurrection).

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    I thought that since Tom did such an outstanding job three years ago, why not bring it back for new forum members to see? Thanks Tom. Your legacy lives on.

Mo' Christmas!

Yep, it sure is that time of year again, and I've now got over 50 of the Classic Motown Christmas CDs. Since there's no point in owning CDs unless you play and enjoy them, I've had at least two Motown sounds of the season discs in the player every day since December 1st! The most recent addition was UMC/Spectrum's 46-track 2CD 'Christmas Motown' issued in the Fall of 2017 [[EAN:0600753798065). It's another nice collection.
    Happy Motown Christmas listening!

Name:  Christmas Motown 2017 medium.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  81.2 KB